Spyder Garage

Default Quick question on tax (fed & state) filing programs...

Does anyone have input on the TaxAct filing program? For those that have filed in the past using a tax program, which one is a good choice? I've decided it's time for a change. I only asked about TaxAct b/c I received an email from them today.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use H&R Block. It feels more solid than Turbotax. I have no experience with freebies.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have been using TurboTax ever since I retired (going on 6 years). I still do some consulting work - so I purchase the "Home and Business" package and I find it very intuitive and easy to complete.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I did taxes and trained returning counselors for the AARP Tax-Aide Foundation for 12 years using a couple of different IRS provided programs. Since retiring from that program TurboTax Premier edition has met my requirements and is easy to use.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I did taxes and trained returning counselors for the AARP Tax-Aide Foundation for 12 years using a couple of different IRS provided programs. Since retiring from that program TurboTax Premier edition has met my requirements and is easy to use.
    I have AARP, and am going to sign up for a drop off. I plan on doing the Fed and State prep myself, and just have them check it.

I have 3 retirements, 2 annuities, and S.S. Long story short, last year IRS sent me a letter and removed my S.S. earnings and provided me an extra $1500. Without my S.S. my income was over $42,000. If your income, based on the IRS worksheet, is under $25000, then you don't have to include S.S. So, I believe the IRS was wrong. I won't be mentioning that when I do the drop off, but if they (AARP) look over my 2021 taxes, and they give it a go, then I know for sure that IRS messed up with their letter pertaining to my 2020 taxes. Thanks for reading.

Spyder Garage

I quit filing tax returns as I'm to rich to pay any taxes.

Spyder Garage

I use H&R Block Free online version. I don't have complicated tax situations, basically this is how much I made and this is how much you took. If you took too much, give it back, if you took too little let me know.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Turbo Tax for me. Tried H & R block one year and did not like it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Taxes Taxes and Taxes

I have been using TurboTax for 15+ years. It has been an extremely popular service for me. I will give them a big thanks....

My bank is now recommending TurboTax. I have TurboTax.

My Tip: Use what ever Tax Service you fill comfortable with doing your Taxes.

Have a Happy Spring. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm a Turbotax fan as well. I've been using their Premier version for years largely because of the investments features and have been well served year after year.
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

TurboTax here. Been using for years

Spyder Garage

H&R Block Deluxe + State for about 20 years with one year detour to TurboTax (hated it). Watch it on Amazon and get the download for ~$22 which includes free uploads and in-person support if necessary (plus they will be there for an audit if needed).
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I’ve been using TurboTax for at least 15 years. Very satisfied and easy too use.

Spyder Garage

I do IRS free fillable forms and mail it in with my generous contribution when required. If you go line by line the new form is very easy.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been using H&R Block for quite a few years now. It does the job quite nicely for a straight forward tax situation and the Basic version has been as cheap as $15. I snagged this year's version at the last minute from Office Depot for $22 for the Deluxe + one state. Five Federals are included. I've never seen Turbo Tax as cheap as H&R Block. And the forms and data stay on my computer so I can access them anytime if need be, and sometimes there really is a 'need be.'
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 01-31-2022 at 11:16 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I have AARP, and am going to sign up for a drop off. I plan on doing the Fed and State prep myself, and just have them check it.
    In my years with the AARP Tax-Aide program we had one married nitwit who claimed to be a retired mathematics teacher and came in every year with his returns for us to check. Despite the fact that he and his wife had no need to file returns as married filing separately they insisted on doing so to avail themselves of the privilege of paying Uncle Dudley more than they needed, to he had a perfect record, batting 1,000; every year his federal return was improperly prepared.
    Last edited by JayBros; 02-01-2022 at 10:22 AM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

I have 3 retirements, 2 annuities, and S.S. Long story short, last year IRS sent me a letter and removed my S.S. earnings and provided me an extra $1500. Without my S.S. my income was over $42,000. If your income, based on the IRS worksheet, is under $25000, then you don't have to include S.S. So, I believe the IRS was wrong. I won't be mentioning that when I do the drop off, but if they (AARP) look over my 2021 taxes, and they give it a go, then I know for sure that IRS messed up with their letter pertaining to my 2020 taxes. Thanks for reading.
    Last year can not be compared to other years. Because off Covid Tax relief we paid around $340 in our final Federal tax amount, getting a large refund of money that our financial advisor had withheld for us. I have used TurboTax for decades and before filing our financial advisor reviews it, usually catching things I missed or did wrong. I like that as he has most of out money under management, and does the RMD's and withholding. Next year(2022 return) I go back to filing as a single person after loosing my DW in July.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Last year can not be compared to other years. Because off Covid Tax relief we paid around $340 in our final Federal tax amount, getting a large refund of money that our financial advisor had withheld for us. I have used TurboTax for decades and before filing our financial advisor reviews it, usually catching things I missed or did wrong. I like that as he has most of out money under management, and does the RMD's and withholding. Next year(2022 return) I go back to filing as a single person after loosing my DW in July.
    Another significant change in Federal income tax is the impact the 2017 tax reform had on charitable giving. Since the standard deduction was doubled many filers no longer benefited by itemizing deductions so charitable donations took a hit. But there is a way to donate to your favorite and get a deduction, if you are subject to RMD withdrawals from your IRA.

Have the custodian make a withdrawal from your account and write the check directly to the charity. It counts as part of your RMD but does not count as income to you. It's called a QCD, or Qualified Charitable Distribution. The QCD amount can exceed your RMD.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I go to a local church where AARP sets up. This will be our third year using them. They do the math, and always have come up with doing a short form for the feds. It's free with our AARP dues. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I started using a recommended CPA back in 1999 when I started my Diesel Smoke/Smog testing business. I sold the business in 2017, and we're still using him. He's a peach! .... and very reasonable. We have too many complicated investments for me to try doing it ourselves. I have helped my son do his taxes using Turbo Tax, and it was pretty easy going.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21