Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone go from an RT to a Ryker?

Maybe I'm doing too much thinking this winter, since there is nothing else to do in 0 degree temps in midwest. But I am surprised (and disappointed) in the miles I have put on my RT limited so far. Mostly from covid, not many destination rides like I used to, but I also notice most of my rides have been more exploring back roads and sport riding then cruising. So my question is: Have any of you gone from an RT to a Ryker, and what were your experiences? I'm just afraid I will end up getting a radio, storage, windshield and eventually end up with another RT

Spyder Garage

we used an RT for many years - we loved it !! but, we live here in the Alps where we have many targets on back roads, so we changed to a Ryker 900 (shaft-drive - full Automatic..) for the price for our used RT we got also some adds-on what we need for out Tours - she is perfect now !!
    (..we have together under 350 lbs..)

thats a Ryker-road ..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHZi05bFNRg&t=256s
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm one that will never get a Ryker, the wife likes riding on the RT.

Spyder Garage

I went from a 2013 RT to a 2020 Ryker 900. The Ryker is more fun, but I am considering going back to an RT as I find myself wanting to tour more miles.
    Gary

US Army Vietnam era vet

2023 Can Am F3
    2020 Can Am Ryker 900 ACE (traded)
    2013 Can Am Spyder RT SE5 (traded)
    2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (sold)
    2012 Honda NC700X (sold)
    2012 Honda CBR250 (sold)

States visited on 2 or 3

2020 900 Ace , Black on black

Spyder Garage

Being a 100% solo rider, but a few times/year tourer, the only thing holding me back is fuel range. I like that the new 900 Rally has cruise control..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I did not go from a RT to a ryker. But I did make the move from a RT to a F3T, for the reasons that you stated. I did not do much touring and I ride solo 95% of the time. So I wanted something sportier. Going from a RT to a ryker I believe would be a bit harsh when it comes to ride quality. But stepping down to a smaller spyder will not be as much of a change, and still allow for some storage. Going to such little storage and not having cruise control (I know the newer ones have it) would be my main gripes about the ryker. But, if you intend on doing rough or dirt roads, then the ryker might be your ticket.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Garydj View Post
    I went from a 2013 RT to a 2020 Ryker 900. The Ryker is more fun, but I am considering going back to an RT as I find myself wanting to tour more miles.
    You always want what you don't have. I would love to pick up a good used one and have both, but you don't see many used ones out there yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MonPaul View Post
    Maybe I'm doing too much thinking this winter, since there is nothing else to do in 0 degree temps in midwest. But I am surprised (and disappointed) in the miles I have put on my RT limited so far. Mostly from covid, not many destination rides like I used to, but I also notice most of my rides have been more exploring back roads and sport riding then cruising. So my question is: Have any of you gone from an RT to a Ryker, and what were your experiences? I'm just afraid I will end up getting a radio, storage, windshield and eventually end up with another RT
    And what would be wrong with that, you would have a machine that you could travel with and boondock with what more could one want!! That is if you like the ride of it and it fits you well, go for it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I have a RTL but have taken out my sons Ryker out for about 30 mile run. For me it was a lot louder, lots of wind buffering (no windshield), and the suspension quite a bit harder. I know I could not handle riding it for any long distance 30 miles was enough for me. I think it be fine just a quick fun ride but I will stick with my RTL.
    2021 Syder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I'm one that will never get a Ryker, the wife likes riding on the RT.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Am I correct in thinking that comparing a Ryker to a Rt is like comparing a '32 Ford Coupe to a '68 Camaro. (I'd take either) What's your comparison?

Spyder Garage

I went in the other direction, from a Ryker to an RT Limited. While the Ryker was a blast and I had a lot of fun and adventures on it, I wanted to share that with my wife. However there was no way she was going to get on the back of the Ryker. We are both 69, so I think that’s understandable. I have no regrets. I’m enamored with the refined riding experience and the creature comforts offered by the RT such as power steering and cruise control. I think they are different vehicles designed for different riding styles, kind of like going from a Miata MX5 to a Cadillac CTS.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Last spring I sold my 17 F3 daytona because I thought I was getting too old to ride. A couple of months later I had sellers remorse for selling it. I wanted to ride again, but this time only locally, so I got a Ryker to play with. It has taken care ride urge.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

I'm just afraid I will end up getting a radio, storage, windshield and eventually end up with another RT

~~~if i understand what you’re saying, you don't trust yourself to keep from adding numerous (read useless ) farkles if you dumped your RT & bought a Ryker

Everyone is different. There’s plenty that did just that (adding crap like ornaments on a X-Mass tree). I left my 2020 Ryker Rally bone stock & rode it that way for 4500 miles, before trading it in on a 2021 Spyder RTL last August

Speaking strictly for myself, the Ryker is best left stock. Just get on it and ride. At least thats what i did and i rode my Ryker an L of a lot more than i have ridden my RTL

Again, 4500 smiles in 17 months (Ryker),, My RTL?…ive owned it 7 months and have only accumulated 1600 miles. If we use smiles ridden then its obvious i got more bang for my buck w/the Ryker. More seat time anyways

Trust me, I've thought about this comparo quite a bit. What it comes down to is this- the Ryker is easier to ride. When i hop on the RTL i feel like I'm getting on a parade horse. It’s freakin huge! The Ryker is a stripper. If you buy ones, keep it that way, you’ll be happier

Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

While the comparisons aren’t perfect it helps me put it in categories. Such as vs harleys, indians, or even cars

Ryker - HD Sportster lineup - Indian Scout - mazda miata - good for day rides, around town or twisty roads
    F3 - HD Cruiser lineup (think Softails or road king) - Indian Chief and super chief - muscle car - cruising and weekend trips
    RT - HD Grand american touring (Street glide/road glide/Ultra limited) - Indian challenger and roadmaster - large luxury sedan - long distance multi-day trips

I think for many riders a problem they have is having the wrong bike for the wrong uses. For example I got a ryker after many years without a motorcycle and now i want to get more into trips/motocamping and even some touring but I have the wrong bike for that especially if the wife wants to come with. It seems like you have an RT but only use it for short outings so a f3 or even a ryker might be a better option.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~if i understand what you’re saying, you don't trust yourself to keep from adding numerous (read useless ) farkles if you dumped your RT & bought a Ryker

Everyone is different. There’s plenty that did just that (adding crap like ornaments on a X-Mass tree). I left my 2020 Ryker Rally bone stock & rode it that way for 4500 miles, before trading it in on a 2021 Spyder RTL last August

Speaking strictly for myself, the Ryker is best left stock. Just get on it and ride. At least thats what i did and i rode my Ryker an L of a lot more than i have ridden my RTL

Again, 4500 smiles in 17 months (Ryker),, My RTL?…ive owned it 7 months and have only accumulated 1600 miles. If we use smiles ridden then its obvious i got more bang for my buck w/the Ryker. More seat time anyways

Trust me, I've thought about this comparo quite a bit. What it comes down to is this- the Ryker is easier to ride. When i hop on the RTL i feel like I'm getting on a parade horse. It’s freakin huge! The Ryker is a stripper. If you buy ones, keep it that way, you’ll be happier

Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    Thanks! I agree with you, I would love to have both but it is hard to find a used Ryker in my area.

Spyder Garage

The Ryker in stock form is no good for LD work. That said, if you can ride it the way it was meant to be ridden, its a total blast. At least it was a for me. I rode my Ryker once down to the Fla. Keys. It wasn’t a lot of fun on the interstate It needed cruise control, wind protection, but that was it. You can remove and replace a wind screen when needed. Cruise control is another animal, especially if you want something like what comes stock on the RT Limited. I have to admit, I use the cruise control on my RT every outing but then I use the cruise control on both my F-150 and our F-250 every time I get on the interstate as well. Now if Can Am would make cruise control an option on the Ryker, they’d have a winner there. Just thinking out loud

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

The 2022 ryker rally and sport come with cruise standard. It is an option on the regular 900 but not available for the 600 or earlier year rykers

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    The Ryker in stock form is no good for LD work. That said, if you can ride it the way it was meant to be ridden, its a total blast. At least it was a for me. I rode my Ryker once down to the Fla. Keys. It wasn’t a lot of fun on the interstate It needed cruise control, wind protection, but that was it. You can remove and replace a wind screen when needed. Cruise control is another animal, especially if you want something like what comes stock on the RT Limited. I have to admit, I use the cruise control on my RT every outing but then I use the cruise control on both my F-150 and our F-250 every time I get on the interstate as well. Now if Can Am would make cruise control an option on the Ryker, they’d have a winner there. Just thinking out loud

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.

Spyder Garage

Did just that! Had a 2020 RT. Sold it for a 22 Ryker Rally (still waiting). Want to explore more dirt roads, want shaft drive, want a lighter ride. Got a toyhauler, so, long intercontinental rides are probably going away. Going on tour with Can Am for the next 6 months, then Montana for 3, the rally season will be over. Meanwhile, lots of dirt roads to explore! Ann fell in love with the 22 Rally when we did the Florida tour in October and November. So, we ordered one! Sold her RT in a day.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

You always want what you don't have. I would love to pick up a good used one and have both, but you don't see many used ones out there yet.
    Isn't that the truth? I was delighted with my new truck 3 years ago, and now I'm thinking, "Man, I wish I had gotten 4WD". I don't need 4WD. I'd like to have a smallish motorcycle again, but then I'd have a Ryker *and* motorcycle that are gathering dust in the garage most of the time.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Did just that! Had a 2020 RT. Sold it for a 22 Ryker Rally (still waiting). Want to explore more dirt roads, want shaft drive, want a lighter ride. Got a toyhauler, so, long intercontinental rides are probably going away. Going on tour with Can Am for the next 6 months, then Montana for 3, the rally season will be over. Meanwhile, lots of dirt roads to explore! Ann fell in love with the 22 Rally when we did the Florida tour in October and November. So, we ordered one! Sold her RT in a day.
    Thanks, I knew there had to be someone out there! I am waiting for warmer weather here to test drive one. I should have learned my lesson - a while back I bought a Gold Wing because I wanted the best for touring, then I realized most of my rides were around town and just a lot of back roads so I sold it because it was just more than I needed.

Spyder Garage

We have both, we much prefer the Ryker 900. In fact the RT is up for sale. Ryker is much more fun to ride, agile, compact, not twitchy at all. Now if I was doing 2 up across the nation, with a trailer, that’s a different story.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JPster View Post
    We have both, we much prefer the Ryker 900. In fact the RT is up for sale. Ryker is much more fun to ride, agile, compact, not twitchy at all. Now if I was doing 2 up across the nation, with a trailer, that’s a different story.

~~~If your Spyder is twitchy its not the fault of the Spyder design, the problem is in your Spyder’s alignment, or lack thereof

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

So to be clear about what I call twitch, is over compensation by the rider, amplified by power assist. This is in no way the fault of the machine. Ryker has no power assist, so you get much less of a price if you over steer. I ride only very technical mountain roads, something you will not find in a flat state. For my type of riding, I much prefer the Ryker. My opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Spyder Garage

Wanted the Ryker, especially the price. Wife said she wanted to ride on the back and wouldn't set foot on a Ryker so my compromise was the F3. Nimble and quick like the Ryker, great for cruising the beaches, canyons and the occasional day trip.
    21 Spyder base F3