Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sticky For TIres

There's been a lot of talk about a sticky for tires. The purpose is to create a place for technical information.
    I suggest we keep it simple to avoid diluting the technical information with a lot of valuable discussion.
    I'll start:
    Spyder: 2020 RTL
    Type of Riding: Mostly touring. Not terribly aggressive.
    Suspension: RonBar, Laser Alignment
    Front Tires: Kumho Solus KH16 175/55/15, set to 17 PSI
    Rear Tire: Cooper Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring 215/60/15, set to 26 PSI
    Current Mileage: About 12,000 miles. They still look brand new.

Comments: Bought the tires for my previous Spyder and put about 6,000 miles on them. I liked them so much I had them transferred to my 2020 RTL before delivery.
    The tires, alignment and RonBar were all installed by Netzley Tire in Accord New York. I'm very pleased with the tires and Remarkably Pleased with Netzley Tire.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I dont feel you need to state your model of spyder, or ride characteristics. We just need a list of tire sizes and brands that fit. 14" and 15". Maybe a separate list for Rykers and Spyders. Riders can figure it out from there. Keep it simple.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Riders can figure it out from there. Keep it simple.
    You sure about that?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    You sure about that?
    Yup....If the thread is done the way this one was started, it wont be any different than any other tire thread. It should just be a list of tire brands and sizes in columns for front and rear.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

What you want should be quite simple and only require 1 post with a matrix of rim sizes & Front/back.

Sorta kinda like this:

Front Rear

14in size1/brand size1/brand
    2 2
    3 3
    15in size1/brand size1/brand
    2 2
    3 3
    . .
    . .
    . .

(spacing has been removed between F/R)
    Last edited by RayBJ; 01-21-2022 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added brand
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup....If the thread is done the way this one was started, it wont be any different than any other tire thread. It should just be a list of tire brands and sizes in columns for front and rear.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    There's been a lot of talk about a sticky for tires. The purpose is to create a place for technical information.
    I suggest we keep it simple to avoid diluting the technical information with a lot of valuable discussion.
    I'll start:
    Spyder: 2020 RTL
    Type of Riding: Mostly touring. Not terribly aggressive.
    Suspension: RonBar, Laser Alignment
    Front Tires: Kumho Solus KH16 175/55/15, set to 17 PSI
    Rear Tire: Cooper Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring 215/60/15, set to 26 PSI
    Current Mileage: About 12,000 miles. They still look brand new.

Comments: Bought the tires for my previous Spyder and put about 6,000 miles on them. I liked them so much I had them transferred to my 2020 RTL before delivery.
    The tires, alignment and RonBar were all installed by Netzley Tire in Accord New York. I'm very pleased with the tires and Remarkably Pleased with Netzley Tire.
    That ain't simple or objectively technical...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I don' disagree with that at all. I guess the point I am getting around to making is it will need to be a limited access thread. Feed the thread off another that is open to all with one or two folks having authority to put the info in place.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think we should take this discussion back to Joel's original thread and quit using this me-too thread.

This practice of branching off the original discussion is one of the reasons topics are difficult to follow, much less search on.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-21-2022 at 08:09 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think we should take this discussion back to Joel's original thread and quit using this me-too thread.

This practice of branching off the original discussion is one of the reasons topics are difficult to follow, much less search on.
    I just got tired of all the jibber jabber and was trying to help. The thought was to start with technical information on the tires that I was using, in the hopes that others might follow without adding even more discussion.
    You're right. It's a stupid idea.
    Please erase the bloody damn thread. I tried to erase it myself, but evidently, I don't have permission.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just got tired of all the jibber jabber and was trying to help. The thought was to start with technical information on the tires that I was using, in the hopes that others might follow without adding even more discussion.
    Please erase the bloody damn thread. I tried to erase it myself, but evidently, I don't have permission.
    I realize you were trying to help. I didn't think it was a stupid idea at all.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I dunno ThreeWheels, your first post looked like a very good start at making a useful Tires Sticky to me.

Since many people will have significantly different ideas of what's most important to them in a tire, I thought your outline would help make the info you provided much more useful to those seeking advice, instead of a just being a clinical list of tires with no set-up or ride info in order to help clarify why you or any other owner/ryder providing similar info actually likes those particular tires, and so it would've let those searching make a more informed decision.... .

After all, some people might ride gently & want tire longevity above all else; while others may ride harder & only want dry traction; or possibly there's some who want wet traction; or cold weather traction; or extreme heat traction & longevity; and maybe some will want an All Season Tire that has a reasonable level of traction with an acceptable compromise/balance between dry & wet traction and that will last more than saaay, 5000 miles, or 10,000 miles, or whatever?!? To me, THAT's the sort of info, teamed with at least an inkling of the individual's Spyder suspension set-up and ryding style that would make a useful Tire Sticky, so those reading/searching might glean at least some idea of WHY you or anyone else sharing that info might think those tires are good for a Spyder or Ryker - or why they're not?!?

Not that I really think anyone would pay all that much attention to such a Sticky anyway, they haven't really done so anywhere else or to many of the already existing Stickies here on this Forum, except maybe to the one 'Do's & Don'ts' Sticky that every new member used to be referred to, which DOES go into that type & level of detail.... Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2022 at 09:42 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Simple Suggestion, What if everyone that wanted to participate listed their tire, brand, model, & size in their signature as I have here?
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires tires tires

Seems like the only way to get good information about TIRES for your Spyder is to .

That being said, I believe that we clearly have good intentions for helping all 'Spyder Forum Members'. I just don't know what would be the best approach. Some people have said that they are wanting a good choice.

I was hoping for several of the 'Tire People' on this Forum to help us out.
    Any chance you could come on board with us.
    Thank You in Advance. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Well, so much for that idea
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I still think the idea is worthwhile to pursue. The list could state the tire brand, sizes that fit, and nature of the ride (long wear, good wet traction, etc.)
    !!! Example !!!
    FRONT:
    General Altmax RT43, 175/55R15, longer wear
    Vredestan Q5, 165/55R15, good traction
    {more}
    {more}
    ==================================
    REAR:
    Kumho KU-22, 205/55r15, no clue
    Vredestan Q5, 225/50R15, good traction, shorter life
    {more}
    {more}

No need to get into the weeds. Just list what fits.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

WORKS until someone puts in a tire brand and size that never came in that size. (Vredestan Q5, 225/50R15, good traction, shorter life)

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    WORKS until someone puts in a tire brand and size that never came in that size. (Vredestan Q5, 225/50R15, good traction, shorter life)

T.P.
    I posted an EXAMPLE of what it could look like. It wasn't intended to be THE LIST. Geesh.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are we going to see now a sticky for a sticky for tire threads? Geesh

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I dunno ThreeWheels, your first post looked like a very good start at making a useful Tires Sticky to me.

Since many people will have significantly different ideas of what's most important to them in a tire, I thought your outline would help make the info you provided much more useful to those seeking advice, instead of a just being a clinical list of tires with no set-up or ride info in order to help clarify why you or any other owner/ryder providing similar info actually likes those particular tires, and so it would've let those searching make a more informed decision.... .

After all, some people might ride gently & want tire longevity above all else; while others may ride harder & only want dry traction; or possibly there's some who want wet traction; or cold weather traction; or extreme heat traction & longevity; and maybe some will want an All Season Tire that has a reasonable level of traction with an acceptable compromise/balance between dry & wet traction and that will last more than saaay, 5000 miles, or 10,000 miles, or whatever?!? To me, THAT's the sort of info, teamed with at least an inkling of the individual's Spyder suspension set-up and ryding style that would make a useful Tire Sticky, so those reading/searching might glean at least some idea of WHY you or anyone else sharing that info might think those tires are good for a Spyder or Ryker - or why they're not?!?

Not that I really think anyone would pay all that much attention to such a Sticky anyway, they haven't really done so anywhere else or to many of the already existing Stickies here on this Forum, except maybe to the one 'Do's & Don'ts' Sticky that every new member used to be referred to, which DOES go into that type & level of detail.... Just Sayin'
    I'm pretty sure everyone here can view the info for tires on the TIRERACK website ….. The info they provide on which tires have good / great handling is there for all to see ….. There have been a few folks here who have said " that SPYDERS weren't used to test the tires " … that is true, however IMHO the results they have learned are still VALID as to what can be expected from the tire tests …. using them at THE LOWER TIRE PSI's REQUIRED BY SPYDERS …. I have learned the weight applied to the tire ( ie heavier veh. ) does not change the characteristics/ compounds of the tire - as long as the weight of the vehicle they are on is taken into consideration …. YES - PSI is critical to tire performance ….. I have a Shelby Cobra Roadster, it weighs approx. 2,100 lbs …. I use 22 +/- lbs. in them because that vehicle is much lighter than the tires are capable of using. Both Peter and I use " tire science ", to arriver at our opinions. I've been here almost 10 years and I think I have found and reported on the Best tires that will fit the Spyders. …… good luck …. Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well there you have it, neither of our learned “Tire Guru’s” feel that a STICKY is necessary! Nuff said?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Well there you have it, neither of our learned “Tire Guru’s” feel that a STICKY is necessary! Nuff said?
    Bruce - I don't think I have all the answers for all the tire questions ( just most probably ) ….. and a STICKY could be very useful for the folks who don't ( religiously ) peruse all the threads all the time. I think a lot of folks tend to ONLY look at Threads / Posts that they are interested at that moment. …. Personally I read almost every one on a daily basis …. I do pay special attention to all the tire threads, because they usually have questions that I can assist with. … or are directed at me directly …. To me a " tire sticky " shouldn't be TECHNICAL, it only needs to be INFORMATIVE ….. as in " what tires fit that are better than all the rest "..... When I / You consider the fact that many,many GREAT tires won't fit … it narrows it down considerably. … There are a lot tires that get Members personal recommendation for , but when you search for TEST info for them - it can't be found ( and I look for it )…. JMHO ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Bruce - I don't think I have all the answers for all the tire questions ( just most probably ) ….. and a STICKY could be very useful for the folks who don't ( religiously ) peruse all the threads all the time. I think a lot of folks tend to ONLY look at Threads / Posts that they are interested at that moment. …. Personally I read almost every one on a daily basis …. I do pay special attention to all the tire threads, because they usually have questions that I can assist with. … or are directed at me directly …. To me a " tire sticky " shouldn't be TECHNICAL, it only needs to be INFORMATIVE ….. as in " what tires fit that are better than all the rest "..... When I / You consider the fact that many,many GREAT tires won't fit … it narrows it down considerably. … There are a lot tires that get Members personal recommendation for , but when you search for TEST info for them - it can't be found ( and I look for it )…. JMHO ….. Mike
    I too certainly don't know all there is to know about tires, and I'll gladly admit that every time I get asked to test/evaluate another tire brand or type on any vehicle, I learn there's even more to it than I previously thought (it seems that tires & their construction/design are changing & improving almost daily atm ); and I too think that a Sticky about tires won't hurt - altho just like Mike, I think most will only read it if they are interested in it at that moment... After all, isn't that why most who have tire questions don't simply run a search (here via the Forum 'search facility' or via goggle, duckduckgo, whatever ) on 'tires' or 'car tires for Spyders/Rykers' instead and then at least take a glance at the most recent info that can be found in many of the numerous existing threads here &/or elsewhere?

If everyone who asked a question/started a new thread asking about what tire/size/brand they should fit actually did that search & then read enough of the recent posts, they'd probably get an answer to most if not all their questions & we probably wouldn't need a sticky.... but even if they didn't read that many of the threads already here to answer all their questions, they'd still at least be part way towards making a slightly informed choice about what's best for THEM and THEIR particular ryding needs & wants! But just like oil threads, we keep seeing new tire questions & new threads asking the same old questions about size, brand, pressures, etc, even if someone has just posted the latest & most up to date recommendation that's available for their region/ryding style/needs/wants once again within the last few days!!

And that last bit leads to why I believe that any Sticky on tires NEEDS to have the sort of info ThreeWheels called for in the original post in this thread, cos while there are a few very good 'works-for-many' tires out there (like the Vredestein Quatracs are as All-Weather tires for non-hot desert North America) there will always be some people who want/need something else - maybe the latest recommended tire isn't available in their country/area; or they only care about reasonable dry traction & bugga the rest of it; or they want tire longevity above all else; or they want to ride to the limits of their machine, possibly even a little beyond/in all sorts of weather; or whatever their particular need/want is - if a Sticky doesn't help those people identify the size/type/brand/pressure of the sort of tires THEY are looking for and they don't ACTUALLY search for and READ the Sticky, then we'll STILL get people posting 'What tire size/brand/type/pressure Works?' Questions &/or threads!!

But I do support a Tire Sticky, as long as people post the sort of info suggested by ThreeWheels in the first post of this thread!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I too certainly don't know all there is to know about tires, and I'll gladly admit that every time I get asked to test/evaluate another tire brand or type on any vehicle, I learn there's even more to it than I previously thought (it seems that tires & their construction/design are changing & improving almost daily atm ); and I too think that a Sticky about tires won't hurt - altho just like Mike, I think most will only read it if they are interested in it at that moment... After all, isn't that why most who have tire questions don't simply run a search (here via the Forum 'search facility' or via goggle, duckduckgo, whatever ) on 'tires' or 'car tires for Spyders/Rykers' instead and then at least take a glance at the most recent info that can be found in many of the numerous existing threads here &/or elsewhere?

If everyone who asked a question/started a new thread asking about what tire/size/brand they should fit actually did that search & then read enough of the recent posts, they'd probably get an answer to most if not all their questions & we probably wouldn't need a sticky.... but even if they didn't read that many of the threads already here to answer all their questions, they'd still at least be part way towards making a slightly informed choice about what's best for THEM and THEIR particular ryding needs & wants! But just like oil threads, we keep seeing new tire questions & new threads asking the same old questions about size, brand, pressures, etc, even if someone has just posted the latest & most up to date recommendation that's available for their region/ryding style/needs/wants once again within the last few days!!

And that last bit leads to why I believe that any Sticky on tires NEEDS to have the sort of info ThreeWheels called for in the original post in this thread, cos while there are a few very good 'works-for-many' tires out there (like the Vredestein Quatracs are as All-Weather tires for non-hot desert North America) there will always be some people who want/need something else - maybe the latest recommended tire isn't available in their country/area; or they only care about reasonable dry traction & bugga the rest of it; or they want tire longevity above all else; or they want to ride to the limits of their machine, possibly even a little beyond/in all sorts of weather; or whatever their particular need/want is - if a Sticky doesn't help those people identify the size/type/brand/pressure of the sort of tires THEY are looking for and they don't ACTUALLY search for and READ the Sticky, then we'll STILL get people posting 'What tire size/brand/type/pressure Works?' Questions &/or threads!!

But I do support a Tire Sticky, as long as people post the sort of info suggested by ThreeWheels in the first post of this thread!
    Peter Thanks for the your support ...... I get dozens and dozens of PM's asking me for info about tires ..... and I answer ALL of them, to best of my ability .... As I stated earlier I don't KNOW everything about tires, especially the " OFF " / ODD brands. .... I do report on what I find for tires that perform at the top of the heap ( which is small because of the sizes we need ) ..... You have provided tons of Accurate info and I thank you for that .... I'm a p*ss poor typist so I try to consolidate my thoughts ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-23-2022 at 06:31 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Never been overly obsessed with tires after I got rid of those OEM pieces of crap. Just about any brand aftermarket tire the correct size is a good choice. However, if you ride over your head there's no tire out there that will help you. Ride safe stay safe and live long enough to become an old biker.