Spyder Garage

Default 2021 Warranty work?

Took my RT to a dealer for the 3000 mile inspection. Asked if they could adjust the low beams as it seemed like everybody was flashing me all the time. Also told them the rear Cargo hold latch wasn't too secure as I could open it easily when it was locked. Came back to pick up and pay the bill and they charged me over $100 for adjusting the headlight and looking at and doing nothing to the cargo latch. I asked why that wouldn't be warranty work and the guy said because those a customer preference adjustments. I paid the bill but it has been stuck in my mind, eating away. Its the principle more than anything. I will say this, I didn't buy the machine from him. But service is service to me. What are you opinions?
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Geez really 100 bucks. I dont know if yours is the same area as mine but its right behind the side covers on mine and you just turn a knob right or left to raise and lower.

Spyder Garage

On 20 and newer RT's the headlight adjustment is behind the left mirror. One adjuster aims both lights. Do a search in the RT forum for my thread showing how to do it.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I put an new Altimax rear on my 2020 and it changed (raised) the rake by 1/2"; I need to adjust the headlights accordingly.

Spyder Garage

I don't often jump to the defense of dealers, but..... Why didn't you get the warranty work done where you bought it? Some dealers would put you at the end of the longest waiting list if you bought somewhere else. I can't say I blame them.

Spyder Garage

I took it there because it was convenient. Closest dealer is 100 miles away, that is who I took it to. When I was looking for my new RT I looked there. The price difference quoted when I was shopping the new one was $5000. You read that right. I asked them to match the offer and they declined. The dealer I bought from was next closest that would take mine on trade, at 240 miles away. I didn't balk at the price of the 3000 mile checkup, $300. I didn't ask for special treatment and they were more than happy to take the appointment for the service checkup that I waited 2 weeks for. I just wanted to have the initial checkup done for peace of mind if a problem were to occur. I could have done the aiming, but since it was in there why not let them? Same goes for the trunk latch, there's a video on YouTube, I could do it myself. I did lots of wrenching on my F3. Always changed my own oil, added lots of farkles myself. I've even added many to the new one already. I own my own service industry business, have for 30+ yrs. I don't treat non customers any different.
    I've bought a lot of vehicles in my time, probably in the neighborhood of 60+. Just not the level of service I'd expect for a machine like this.
    Thanks for your input fellas. Just wanted to rant a little. Have a good weekend.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

I see the BS meter is pegging again on the "customer preference adjustments" not being covered under warranty. 100 bucks to tweek a headlight and look at a trunk? Sounds like a dealer to avoid. The $5K difference in pricing should be a hint as to where these people are coming from.

The more I read these types of posts, the less enamored I am becoming with the product(s).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ARtraveler: Scares the heck out of me that probably someday I will have to find out really how good my dealer is!
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Morturf View Post
    I took it there because it was convenient. Closest dealer is 100 miles away, that is who I took it to. When I was looking for my new RT I looked there. The price difference quoted when I was shopping the new one was $5000. You read that right. I asked them to match the offer and they declined. The dealer I bought from was next closest that would take mine on trade, at 240 miles away. I didn't balk at the price of the 3000 mile checkup, $300. I didn't ask for special treatment and they were more than happy to take the appointment for the service checkup that I waited 2 weeks for. I just wanted to have the initial checkup done for peace of mind if a problem were to occur. I could have done the aiming, but since it was in there why not let them? Same goes for the trunk latch, there's a video on YouTube, I could do it myself. I did lots of wrenching on my F3. Always changed my own oil, added lots of farkles myself. I've even added many to the new one already. I own my own service industry business, have for 30+ yrs. I don't treat non customers any different.
    I've bought a lot of vehicles in my time, probably in the neighborhood of 60+. Just not the level of service I'd expect for a machine like this.
    Thanks for your input fellas. Just wanted to rant a little. Have a good weekend.
    I had similar situations when trying to purchase my spyders. After the local dealership was not able to even come close in price, I purchased elsewhere. Right after I purchased the spyder, I went to 3 local dealerships and talked to them all. Told them that I did not buy from them, but I also don't do my own maintenance. I let them know that if they treat me right on service and parts, I will be coming to them 100% for at least the duration of my warranty. They had no problems with that at all and have gone above and beyond what I expected. But I do always ask for pricing before I have any work done. They give me the best price and even push it through as a warranty claim if possible. They also have a points program where I get a certain percentage of what I spend through parts or service, back on my next part or service. Great guys. Probably will never buy from them, but definitely will continue to give them my service.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The latch is an easy DIY fix - check the forums. I had the same issue from the factory, and it now closes securely. IMHO If your lights were too high (others flashing you) - then the issue could be factory setup - which should be corrected at no cost. I'd speak to the GM.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I might be wrong , but I would think the 3000 mile “inspection” should have covered the headlights adjusting. I would think they checked the tires, all the lights, fluids, tire wear, oil and level etc. The lights should have been covered in my opinion as part of the package. The latch I don’t know. I know when my parking brake switch malfunctioned and I removed it rear cable to drive home and reinstalled it myself, I had them check to make sure it was at the correct tension etc. Since I didn’t want it to happen and wanted it recorded on my warranty in case it did stop working, They charged $40 to look at it. Since it was working fine I had to pay. I had the same problem with the tail light switch in the brake pedal. It was full of mud and water. I took it apart and cleaned everything and it works perfect now. I was told if they would have had them clean it out and found it working just like me, I would have had to pay the labor which was probably close to an hour and half for me to to take everything apart, clean and assemble.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 01-21-2022 at 10:43 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Unless your state requires mandatory inspections for registration and headlights are part of this, it's a No Go!
    One state that comes to mind would be MA.
    Since state law requires headlights to be at a particular point to pass an inspection, all new cars should theoretically be set prior to sale and if the vehicle were to "fail" inspection the dealer would be required to fix.
    Otherwise it would be on you.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black