Spyder Garage

Default 2020 to present idler swap - what's the projected bearing life?

MY question is whats the projected life span of the idler pulley bearing .

Spyder Garage

20 k miles

Spyder Garage

I would respond with, "I depends on what you buy". Personally, I put LaMonster's (upgraded) tensioner on my 2020, and have ~ 6K miles on it with no problem. And, I bought a (spare) roller to carry w/ me, so if it does fail, I can get it replaced right away. I'm sure there are many Spyderlovers that have more miles on their's, maybe they'll chime in.

Spyder Garage

I put 45,000 miles and replaced bearing which didn't need replacing

Spyder Garage

Guys thank you. on my 21 RTL it came with the tensioner so i figured the best this to do is just replace the single bearing one with one from lamonster. I am just going to replace the roller partof the unit. cant wait till the weather breaks....thanks guys

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

37k on the tensioner I got from Jim's Smooth Spyder.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Jacob (Lamonster) recommends 15K roller swap for their product.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Instead of asking how many miles it will last and going by that, I think I would get in the habit of checking it at every oil change just to be safe!! That's what I would do if I had one!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hi mikey, on the 21 it's a bit more involved to get to than on the 15 I had. So the only reason I am asking is because on the 21 I just bought BRP installed their's and the roller has a groove in it at 4k. So I bought Lamonster's replacement roller and bearing kit and after pulling all the panels off and removing the tensioner, the bolt that comes with the kit does not fit the sleeve that is in the kit..... so you can imagine how one feels after pulling all these panels off and finding out the parts are either wrong or the wrong kit was sent... Call to Lamonster in the A M. By the way, I do all the maintenance on my bikes and after finding a groove in the roller I think it's a valid question...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2022 at 12:01 AM. Reason: then = than + ' ' ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    Hi mikey, on the 21 it's a bit more involved to get to than on the 15 I had. So the only reason I am asking is because on the 21 I just bought BRP installed their's and the roller has a groove in it at 4k. So I bought Lamonster's replacement roller and bearing kit and after pulling all the panels off and removing the tensioner, the bolt that comes with the kit does not fit the sleeve that is in the kit..... so you can imagine how one feels after pulling all these panels off and finding out the parts are either wrong or the wrong kit was sent... Call to Lamonster in the A M. By the way, I do all the maintenance on my bikes and after finding a groove in the roller I think it's a valid question...
    Just a thought on this device ....... IS IT WORTH IT ????? ..... A new belt cost approx. $ 400 ( if you put it on ) ... OR .... When I bought my 14 RT I drove it back to Vermont ( about 1400 mi. ). ... I did notice a slight amount of " belt vibes ", as others had been reporting ...... because BRP had a history of " Too tight drive belts ", I lowered mine to 160lbs ( measured on-the-ground ) ..... and I think the vibes are gone ...... PERFECTION can be expensive - - is it Worth it ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-27-2022 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Mike that's a good question and i dont know the answer to that. i would have to wait for the weather to break for the better. the only reason i am replacing the roller is because of the groove in it. the bike was bought with 4k on its i am going over during the winter, also it gives me a chance to learn how to remove panels and clean and inspect it. most people are to afraid to remove the panels so my thought is if i cant work on it myself i don't own it.

Spyder Garage

I put the LM tensioner/roller on my '20 RT. At 15k the roller had a minor groove (more like an indent) but the bearings are like new. I replaced it anyway since the side was off.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I just called the lamonser shop and no one is there or just busy, i really hope i get a return call .

Spyder Garage

I just called the lamonser shop and no one is there or just busy, i really hope i get a return call .
    He was to busy packing and shipping my baharon bar I suppose....

Spyder Garage

must have taken all day to pack your bar i suppose.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The shop more than likely is in turmoil dealing with Lamont's liver problems. This from less than two weeks ago. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1613864

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yes it is. I also got my answer the roller for the stock roller and arm.. Thanks guys...

Spyder Garage

Yes it is. I also got my answer the roller for the stock roller and arm.. Thanks guys...
    Good luck!!! Have you ever tried the bike without the unit for any length of time? Just asking!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

No, I have not had the bike on a extended road trip, I am doing winter maintenance and the roller has a deep groove in it so being that I want every thing to be perfect and ready to go when the summer arrives, I felt it best to just replace it. On my 15 RTS I had installed one and it worked very well, it removed that annoying belt shudder at 72 mph. This bike came with it from BRP. Lamonster does not sell just the roller if you have an OEM tensioner from BRP. To make their roller work with the BRP arm, you must drill out the sleeve. That is the info I was trying to get from the shop, so the panels are coming back off and I'll set off my lathe to drill out the sleeve for the larger bolt... Again guys, thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2022 at 04:43 PM. Reason: ' 's