Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default colder wea

I stopped trying to " prove myself " a long time ago…… Now if it doesn't make me SMILE Don't do it …… JMHO ….Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Went out today for about an hour. Temperature was sitting right around 7° C. Local area only. Only heated item was the handlebars. First time out this year, and it felt GOOOD! Hope to be able to do it again tomorrow.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

It’s cold here in north central Fla. How cold? Well, I remembered I left a 12 pack of Yuengling lager in my Spyder’s left pannier so I just walked to the barn to fetch a couple cans to drink before I retire for the evening (yeah I know it’s morning, that’s when I go to bed=:-). I had an idea the beer was -plenty cold to drink but stuck my Thermapen in the first can I opened to check the temperature. 43 degrees. Never thought my Spyder would do double duty as a refrigerator, but I’m not complaining

Best,

Slakin_Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I rode in this morning - 34* by the weather app, 37* by the tryke. No heated gear. It's due to be mid-50s this afternoon.

My record is riding an ST1300 50 miles to work at 19*. Wasn't too bad, but not enjoyable.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post
    Just be careful. Riding in low temperatures without adequate protection against the cold, especially for the head, can result in markedly lower levels of cognitive abilities. I've personally experienced this, thinking I was warm because of my heated grips, whereas my core body temperature and especially that of my brain were dropping to levels lower than they should have been. I found myself riding way beyond what was sensible for the conditions and only realized what I had been doing when I got to my destination. As I warmed up and the brain fog lifted, I realized that hypothermia had begun to set in. The really disturbing part was that I had not been even slightly aware of this at the time, I just felt very cold. OK, I was on an bike without a fairing and travelling at freeway speeds, but the windchill was beyond what my, I thought was adequate, winter riding gear. It did not take that long a journey for this to happen either.
    That's frightening. I question my cognitive abilities in general on any normal given day. The older I get, the more I've started to realize I hate riding in cold weather or at night. I REALLY hate riding in cold weather at night. Even though I'm in south Louisiana, it gets bone-chilling, and I'm no longer used to the Great Lakes cold where I grew up. I suppose a heated jacket might be a great idea, but spring comes fairly quickly here (except last year). I got LED headlights, but the low beams still point too low I guess. I still can't see anything unless I'm on high beam. I don't enjoy taking those Ryker plastic panels off, but I'd better adjust those headlights......
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

I am in Ontario, Canada. My F3L is parked in the garage for the winter. I wouldn't dare ride even if I could endure the cold due to the salt and sand they put on the roads over the winter months. Don't you have that in KS, MN, WY, NJ, MI, OH, etc. How do you address this issue. Wash the bike immediately upon return?

Thanks
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
    That's frightening. I question my cognitive abilities in general on any normal given day. The older I get, the more I've started to realize I hate riding in cold weather or at night. I REALLY hate riding in cold weather at night. Even though I'm in south Louisiana, it gets bone-chilling, and I'm no longer used to the Great Lakes cold where I grew up. I suppose a heated jacket might be a great idea, but spring comes fairly quickly here (except last year). I got LED headlights, but the low beams still point too low I guess. I still can't see anything unless I'm on high beam. I don't enjoy taking those Ryker plastic panels off, but I'd better adjust those headlights......
    I live in Vermont ....bone chilling is -10 to -20 F ......What is " bone chilling " in South Louisiana ????? ..... Thanks

Spyder Garage

I ride every month of the year regardless of cold, I just don't ride very far. In our little town they don't salt on anything but the main road so I stay on the other roads. I hate salt. I am 75 and still ride all year.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I live in Vermont ....bone chilling is -10 to -20 F ......What is " bone chilling " in South Louisiana ????? ..... Thanks

~~~I don’t know about what’s cold (bone chilling) in NOLA or other part of south loosy Ann but, it got down to 29 degrees Fehrenheit in Reddick Fla. yesterday morning and I’m here to tell you, that’s cold 🥶 for these parts. We haven’t used the wood stoves until yesterday morning but I had to fire 🔥 the wood stove in the living room when I got up yesterday morning because between those chilly temps and my arthritis, I was miserable 😖

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bone Chill Cold

I saw on TV news, that some southern states were experiencing 'Bone Chill Cold'.
    Florida was on the list.

Cost of 'O J' is going to Sky Rocket. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~I don’t know about what’s cold (bone chilling) in NOLA or other part of south loosy Ann but, it got down to 29 degrees Fehrenheit in Reddick Fla. yesterday morning and I’m here to tell you, that’s cold �� for these parts. We haven’t used the wood stoves until yesterday morning but I had to fire �� the wood stove in the living room when I got up yesterday morning because between those chilly temps and my arthritis, I was miserable ��

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    That's why I bought the trike, it's the arthritis. I used to ride all year round, except when it was snow or ice on the road. Now, it has to be a bit warmer than the mid 20's to the mid 30's to get me out riding. Yes, the arthritis can make you pretty miserable when it's cold. Here's to spring.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
    I think most people are unaware of the decrease in cognitive abilities in the cold. And that's too bad.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Brother and I were out for a ride on Monday here in Victoria BC. 7-8 deg C. He had never riden or been on a Spyder but has seen a lot in Ontario where he lives. I rode my Gold Wing, he on the Spyder. He had a blast, and considering he is snowmobiling now, it was a balmy day for a ride. Thinking he will be looking for one next year. He is on his way back to Ontario with his new-to-him car, only in town for three days to pick it up. Talked to him this morning as he was leaving Osoyoos BC and he mentioned it was -41 deg C in Larder Lake just south of Timmins Ontario last night. Attached a pic of our ride taken at Pat Bay with the Coast Gaurd station in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As time goes by I understand more and more why folks go south in the winter! I very well might myself if I could afford it and the wife didn't get claustrophobic in an RV.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Cold Cold

Grab the coffee and slow down a bit. Only 52 days till Spring. Read a good book or perhaps plan a trip or two.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue