Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Too cold for me and my Spyder

Have an 18 F3L. It was like 25F going into work today. Didn't realize the temps were going to drop through out the day.

Leave and it is 19F and feels like 3F!! And it felt it. I started the bike. It was sluggish, but did. But my 2 screens were displaying jiberish.

I got home about 20 minutes later. Pulled in the garage. Waited 30 and went out and turned the key. My two displays appeared normal again.

I am taking the car tomorrow. :-)

Spyder Garage

I don't blame you!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ole man club

Now that I am Older and a little wiser, I only ryde with temperature at 50'F or higer.

I joined the Ole Man Club a few years ago. 'Ole Man Club Members' only Ryde if the temperatures are
    50'F or higher. Most member are 60+ and enjoy life in the warmer mode. ..........

New Members are always welcome. ...........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Another member of the Older & Wiser Club.

There was a time when I rode in Duluth, MN when it was 20 below zero. And that was before there was such a thing as winter m/c specialized gear.

Now, I don't like it less than 40 above. And there are times when even that feels cold.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I will not be doing that again. Now I am 49, so cold doesn't bother me much. But that was way too much for even me. And yes, my Spyder complained too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

There was a time when I rode in Duluth, MN when it was 20 below zero. And that was before there was such a thing as winter m/c specialized gear.

Now, I don't like it less than 40 above. And there are times when even that feels cold.
    That's a frightening temperature. I can't take less than 40 either. Actually, less than 50 is a pain too, because I don't have proper cold weather gear. I'm not buying any, because I hate riding in cold weather :P
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    Have an 18 F3L. It was like 25F going into work today. Didn't realize the temps were going to drop through out the day.

Leave and it is 19F and feels like 3F!! And it felt it. I started the bike. It was sluggish, but did. But my 2 screens were displaying jiberish.

I got home about 20 minutes later. Pulled in the garage. Waited 30 and went out and turned the key. My two displays appeared normal again.

I am taking the car tomorrow. :-)
    19F is brutal. I couldn't take 20 minutes of that. Walking in it is one thing, but dang....
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Now that I am Older and a little wiser, I only ryde with temperature at 50'F or higer.

I joined the Ole Man Club a few years ago. 'Ole Man Club Members' only Ryde if the temperatures are
    50'F or higher. Most member are 60+ and enjoy life in the warmer mode. ..........

Looks like I'm a new member too. Just turned 71 and retired.
    50 degrees is my cutoff for riding even with heated gear.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I'm in the NE and 75. If I only rode in 50+, I'd be parked 5 month/yr! I invested in heated gear 10 years ago and it makes riding down to ~20 bearable. More typical is 30s to 40s most times which isn't bad to ride in. Two of the benefits of winter riding is far fewer sightseers to get in the way and better view of the tree line to avoid deer ambushes.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post

Well this year I must have joined this club... I turn 60 next month. A few days ago I put on my heated liner and headed out to do a little riding.. Thought I would get a little in between snow storms... It was 42F I made it about a couple of miles and said "What the hell am I doing." Drove home and put it back on the tender... I guess it will sit for another month or so.... 5-10 years ago I would have considered 42 a nice riding day....lol
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

Proud Member of the cold riding club. :-) All about the layers. I do know what you mean about the screen. My 2015 F3S is the old style display and even it gets cranky in the extreme cold - but the ole girl fires up and away we go! Weather in Indianapolis has not been too bad yet this season but I have had some below freezing riding.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Plastics get REALLY BRITTLE in those cold temps. Here in WI, even if the temps were to warm up to upper 30*/low 40*s, theirs's still too much salt on the road to make a ride worthwhile
    Last edited by troop; 01-20-2022 at 12:26 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I rode to bike night at the Tea Room on Tuesday evening. Temps in mid 30's (F). But, I have heated gloves and jacket liner. Nice and toasty on the RTL.
    Last edited by pidjones; 01-23-2022 at 08:18 AM.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Proud Member of the cold riding club. :-) All about the layers. I do know what you mean about the screen. My 2015 F3S is the old style display and even it gets cranky in the extreme cold - but the ole girl fires up and away we go! Weather in Indianapolis has not been too bad yet this season but I have had some below freezing riding.
    I was worried that my screens were broken. I was breathing a lot lighter when I went back out and they were ok.

Spyder Garage

Used to snowmobile in cold temps. My brother who still snowmobiles calls me a wimp for not riding if above 0 deg C. He has a waterproof leather set of snowmobiling gear that keeps him nice and toasty.

All about the proper riding gear and trim package. Heated liner and if necessary heated leg warmers, hand warmers and heated seat. One of those one piece riding suits as well.

Lots of bikes on the road here in Victoria.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

There's a saying: No such thing as bad weather, just bad gear. That being said my cutoff is 40 now a days. A few years ago I was on my Valkyrie and coming down a mountain road. I could tell something was going on so I had already slowed down. Came around a corner and on down at the next corner was some flashing lights. Came to a very gradual stop on far right side of the road and decided to go back up and go down on a side road. I could make the u-turn without duck walking but did anyway and that is when I noticed I was on a sheet of ice. Made sure that bike was dead straight before heading up. Never again. Even then I would not ride if there was any of the salt brine on the roads.
    2018 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Just be careful. Riding in low temperatures without adequate protection against the cold, especially for the head, can result in markedly lower levels of cognitive abilities. I've personally experienced this, thinking I was warm because of my heated grips, whereas my core body temperature and especially that of my brain were dropping to levels lower than they should have been. I found myself riding way beyond what was sensible for the conditions and only realized what I had been doing when I got to my destination. As I warmed up and the brain fog lifted, I realized that hypothermia had begun to set in. The really disturbing part was that I had not been even slightly aware of this at the time, I just felt very cold. OK, I was on an bike without a fairing and travelling at freeway speeds, but the windchill was beyond what my, I thought was adequate, winter riding gear. It did not take that long a journey for this to happen either.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I'm in the NE and 75. If I only rode in 50+, I'd be parked 5 month/yr! I invested in heated gear 10 years ago and it makes riding down to ~20 bearable. More typical is 30s to 40s most times which isn't bad to ride in. Two of the benefits of winter riding is far fewer sightseers to get in the way and better view of the tree line to avoid deer ambushes.
    Also in the NE - I'll go for a 2 hour jaunt if the weather is over 40. I do have heated gear that works very well.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I chose the RT over the F3 for the additional wind/rain protection in crappy weather since I ride year-round. When the temps get so low that highway speeds drop the wind chill below 0F, it's time to move off the slab onto slower speed roads. So far this winter I've only needed the heated grips, seat and jacket. I carry the heated socks on board just in case.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Found here some time ago sorry don’t know by who 19CE1E9C-D646-44D3-8A76-8B1A1F347C25.jpegthank you whoever

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

At one time in my life I would go riding when it was really cold. I wouldn't enjoy the ride but I would survive it. I'm not even sure why I did it, as if I were trying to prove to myself that I was a "real" rider. As I got older I was willing to admit to myself that if riding was not fun, then why bother doing it? And as I got older, the lowest temp at which I might consider going out for a ride started to rise, from at first anything above freezing, to then "at least 40" and now its become "at least 60", although if the sun is bright, the wind mild, I would go out at anything much over 50. The same changes happened for hot weather. I used to feel that the temp could never be too high to ride, but now about 92 degrees is my upper limit. Roasting while sitting at a red light, waiting for it to change, is just not what I think of as fun.

And in reference to the original post of this thread, personally I would never have thought 19 degrees was even remotely a day for riding. I think if I had gone somewhere for a ride and the temp dropped that low, I would hope to find a safe place to leave the bike and would call my wife to come pick me up with one of the cars.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Yup. Its that time of year. Raven does not go out once salt has been spread in Minneapolis.
    We used to ride if the roads were clear - coldest was -6. Once was enuf.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

It wasn't that cold--but salt really sucks. B/4 my Spyder but nevertheless an experience with SALT: https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/...lt-ride.18162/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

I'm 1/2 way there... I'm Older!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will start a ride 40 something F, if the forecast is 50 within an hour, especially if sun is out (normal here). Photos from yesterday at over 8000 feet elevation.

25-Desert View, Deer Creek Road 20 Jan 2022.jpg

26-Upper Lee Canyon 20 Jan 2022.jpg

75 years young next month and no heated gear
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2022 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black