Spyder Garage

Default Will these 155/60R15 Vredestein's be too narrow for RT?

I have a question probably for blueknight. A local tire shop has a pair of quatrac 5 in stock in size 155/60r15.
    do you think these would be too narrow for a 2015 RT?

Spyder Garage

You will definitely get good info from Blueknight. In the meantime you can use this to visualize the difference from stock size. Just use the tire comparison section. Put your stock size in and the then tire you want to see. Looks like not a whole lot of difference to me.

http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/
    Last edited by Jetfixer; 01-19-2022 at 04:31 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking the 155mm tire wouldn't be too narrow for the rim. Pro's might be less rolling resistance, lesser chance of hydroplaning. But also less traction for the front wheels that steer/brake. How much cheaper will he sell them to you for. Personally, I'd stick with a 165.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

They may be a bit on the narrow side as the closest to stock (in the new Quatracs) is the 165/60-R15...but if the price is right I would think that they would work fine. One thing I would check though is to see if they are wide enough to give the outer face of the rim some curb scuff protection. The stock Kenda 165/55-R15 on my 21RTL just projects past the edge of the rim and one could probably scuff the rim if they scraped against a curb. If the 155/60-R15 tires extend to, or slightly past the outer rim, they should be fine.

This may be the last pair of Quatrac 5 tires left to buy since they have been replaced by the Quatrac sometime last year. They are a great tire on the Spyder.

Here is a link to the Vredestein Quatrac tires in Tire Rack that has the sizes and specs for each available for reference: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec....eModel=Quatrac

Thanks

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK now for the big question, where to get these mounted?

I have been calling around getting the no can do for mounting anything other than the friggin kenda.

Anybody know who can mount these tires professionally? I am running out of places to call.

There was a time when somebody was willing to do some work , I guess not so much anymore.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post

I have been calling around getting the no can do for mounting anything other than the friggin kenda.

Anybody know who can mount these tires professionally? I am running out of places to call.

There was a time when somebody was willing to do some work , I guess not so much anymore.

~~~i do my own tire work…dont need to find someone to do it for me. Try it sometime. It’s easy, even a caveman can do it=:-)

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Others may have better and different ideas
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

A local auto shop should have no problem mounting/balancing the front tires. That's who does mine.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Not all tire shops have the small cone needed to balance the front wheels. Marc Parnes Balancer to the rescue!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~i do my own tire work…dont need to find someone to do it for me. Try it sometime. It’s easy, even a caveman can do it=:-)

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Others may have better and different ideas
    I trust myself to do engine, electrical, and mechanical work as I am a licensed stationary power engineer, but I dont trust myself with wheel balancing and brake work. I leave that to the pros especially since I am still in the "getting familiar" with the equipment stage when it comes to maintenance on my Spyder.

I also have a bad disc between L-4 and L-5 and dont want to deal with twisting around with the tires. Hey were you up in Northern Virginia doing a test ride on a RT back in august? If so my wife and I were the couple riding in front of you on a F3 LTD.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

walmart did my front wheels
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

5-7 hours away will do it north or west of you. Netzley tire is great. Great riding in their home base and north eastern PA. Make a trip out of it. That also go to the Ohio SE rallie which make a trip to it and run West Virginia and Virginia roads on way over. A1 service!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    5-7 hours away will do it north or west of you. Netzley tire is great. Great riding in their home base and north eastern PA. Make a trip out of it. That also go to the Ohio SE rallie which make a trip to it and run West Virginia and Virginia roads on way over. A1 service!
    Can Netzly mount and balance the rear? If so I would be willing to make the drive once it warms up just to save me time from calling around more trying to find somebody around here that can do it.

Just looked up the Ohio SE event and June is too far off for the tire but I may take some time off to make it there for the ride.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-20-2022 at 11:24 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Any shop that mounts car tires should be able to mount them that’s where I had my Continentals mounted

Spyder Garage

Can Netzly mount and balance the rear?
    AFAIK, the rear does not require balancing - you just need to find a shop that will mount it correctly (with the dots lined up).

My first rear tire change I did myself but took the tire/wheel to my local Can Am dealer (large multi-location dealer) for removing the old tire and mounting the new tire. I paid them $40 and they did not even balance it - they said they didn't have the equipment to balance the rear wheel.

So, I bought a small bag of those balance beads and added them to the tire after they had mounted it. Probably didn't need the beads. Will be changing the rear again in a few weeks and will likely leave the beads out initially this time just to see if it makes any difference.

For the record, I got 3500 miles out of the OEM Kenda, 6500 miles out of the Kanine. Will be going with a Kumho Ecsta (stock size of 225/50 but a car tire) next. I still have the OEM Kendas on the front (10K miles) but have ordered the Vredestein Quatracs (slightly taller at 165/60 car tire) for the fronts and will change them when I change the rear. 2020RT
    Last edited by WilcoJunoHotel; 01-21-2022 at 09:11 AM.

Spyder Garage

Can Netzly mount and balance the rear? If so I would be willing to make the drive once it warms up just to save me time from calling around more trying to find somebody around here that can do it.

Just looked up the Ohio SE event and June is too far off for the tire but I may take some time off to make it there for the ride.
    I provided the tires but they also sell tires too and They balanced and installed my fronts at the rally last year. I will have them do the rear this year. Yes they do everything. Very good service. Here is their page. There’s 2 brothers, Simply contact them and ask away. They have no problems answering your questions and providing prices. They also do laser alignments too. https://www.facebook.com/NETZLEYTIRELLC/.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 01-21-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

+1 on Netzley Tire! Excellent work and very fair pricing for tire and laser alignments. Finding their driveway is a bit difficult but worth the trip.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info and my apologies go out to 1989hawk, I didn't mean to hijack the thread but I have searched a lot of threads on tire sizes but not that much useable info on who will mount them.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Hey clover, I know you said you didn’t want to call around. Just out of curiosity, I’d call Motorsports Cycle Shop in Hanover PA. They’d be a lot closer than netzley and they are one of the highest rated places in PA from what I’ve read. They also have laser alignment. Netzley is great and I recommend their service but if Motorsports can do it that’s only 2 hours from you at tops I’d think.

Spyder Garage

I trust myself to do engine, electrical, and mechanical work as I am a licensed stationary power engineer, but I dont trust myself with wheel balancing and brake work. I leave that to the pros especially since I am still in the "getting familiar" with the equipment stage when it comes to maintenance on my Spyder.

I also have a bad disc between L-4 and L-5 and dont want to deal with twisting around with the tires. Hey were you up in Northern Virginia doing a test ride on a RT back in august? If so my wife and I were the couple riding in front of you on a F3 LTD.

~~~ the only demos ive done on Spyders (& Rykers) have been in Fla. in regards to doing your own tire work, i have a bad back too, with the same vertebrae problems (L4, L5). When my back gets really bad, I can’t do any work period but I dont find it necessary to twist my back when R&Ring tires. That said, I’ve been doing my own tire work ever since I started riding motorcycles, beginning in 1974 so I’ve learned how to dismount and mount tires w/o harming myself

First time I did any tire work was on my first motorcycle, a 1972 Yamaha 360 cc 2 stroke enduro. I got a flat tire so I decided to learn how to fix that flat myself. Boy did I make mistakes! The first mistake was thinking I could use a flat tip screw driver as a tire iron. For sure, I ripped the new tube, but it was a valuable lesson. After that I bought a set of tire irons, and a new tube=:-)

For years i broke the beads of the tires I replaced using nothing more than the heels of my boots. It’s worked well. The bead breaker you see in the photos Ibought from harbor freight. That made it easier but for years I just used the heels of my boots. We drove a 64’ MGB with wire wheels for a long time. Guess who did the tire work? Yeah, me. I R&R’d every tire with hand tools. UTs not as difficult as some think it to be. It’s all about leverage, and getting the iopposing bead to sit in the center well of your rim. That frees up enormous tire to grab with your tire irons. I’ve found that all you really need is 1 long tire iron, for leverage, then the shorter irons work quite well with no need to wrench your back to get the tire off or on

Another trick I learned was to have the tires you are working with warm. Even in Fla. it can get quite cold. We lived at mile marker 30 (Big Pine Key) for a dozen years. I saw temps in the mid 30’s. It never froze but just the same, 35 degrees Fahrenheit is cold so you have to move your work into a warm area. Where we live now (north central Fla.) we have two wood burning stoves so when it’s cold the tire work gets done in front of the fireplace. Sometimes all you need to do is leave your tires and wheels in the sun

Through the years I’Ve acquired more specialized tire tools like balancing rigs. I like to find the heaviest point on a rim w/o the tire mounted, then i mark that spot in the center of the rim with a magic marker

Another reason to do your own tire work- you buy the parts you need ahead of when you do the actual work. Specifically you want tom change the rubber or metal tire air valve. I like using rubber valves as they seal well although as long as you have a fresh o-ring, metal tire valves work well. This valve is esay to swap. I use a carpet knife and make an X on the inside of the rubber so it removes easily with the specific removal tool. That said, if you dont have the tool you can use locking pliers to remove but just the same, i like to use the installation tool to pull the new rubber valve in place. This tool is only a few dollars and available at any auto parts store. I used water and liquid dish soap for lube to help seal/install the tire valve. These really should be replaced every time you replace your tire. Nuff said

Ive yet to do tire work on a Can Am. The Ryker I rode, I bought it new and sold it after one year passed. All of those tires had plenty of tread so no need to replace. They Spyder I ride now only has approx. 1600 miles so even the rear looks new. Personally, I don’t foresee any problems when it comes time to rep,lace any of the tires on my Spyder. Since the tires (front & rear) are wider then most motorcycle tires I’ve replaced in the past, it will be relatively easy doing the R&R.

I’m running the OEM tires (probably) until they wear out. I know many here don’t care for the OEM Kendas yet I have absolutely no complaints with them. For sure, IMO tires are inexpensive and they can easily be rep,laced with supposed better tires yet the string straight roads I ride on, I find the OEM Kenda tires do just fine. All 3 have delivered excellent wet weather traction so i see no reason to prematurely upgrade. That said I would upgrade my tires if I thought there would be something to gain but at the risk of repeating myself, AFAIC, the OEM Kendas have provided me with high quality traction. However, there is enough chatter to legitimize going dark side when the rear tire wears out

I think i covered everything i wanted to comment on regarding tires. Again, its an easy job to replace & remove, especially tubeless tires on motorcycles and trikes, but I understand the apprehension some have tackling the unknown for the first time. You Tube has many videos for those that are considering doing this work yourself. I didnt have you tube back in the mid seventies so i learned by making mistakes. Then again, i dont blame those that remove the wheels themselves then take the tire & wheel to a shop, yet I can R&R that same tire in less time that it takes passing the work onto someone else

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Hey clover, I know you said you didn’t want to call around. Just out of curiosity, I’d call Motorsports Cycle Shop in Hanover PA. They’d be a lot closer than netzley and they are one of the highest rated places in PA from what I’ve read. They also have laser alignment. Netzley is great and I recommend their service but if Motorsports can do it that’s only 2 hours from you at tops I’d think.
    Actually only 34 miles away from me and the first one I called...No Can Do Quatrac. Only what they sell (kendas).
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-22-2022 at 02:17 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 1989hawk View Post
    I have a question probably for blueknight. A local tire shop has a pair of quatrac 5 in stock in size 155/60r15.
    do you think these would be too narrow for a 2015 RT?
    Hi, BK911 here ….. My PC/hardfrive died 2 weeks ago so I had to buy another one …. Soooooooooooooooooooo I'm back today ..... that size is on the small size , but will work fine …. I have used Ultra high traction ( and oversize width ) tires in the past and learned that the current NANNY will kick in when you have exceeded he settings in the Nanny …. the 155 will be slightly less apt to aqua-plane, but Only slightly ….. the tire compound will more important …… regards ….Mike

Spyder Garage

Was in the tire shop looking for 165/60r15 quatracs to replace my worn federals. He had these he ordered for someone with a small car that never picked them up. Offered to mount and balance for 70 dollars a piece. I think i will give them a try.

Spyder Garage

Was in the tire shop looking for 165/60r15 quatracs to replace my worn federals. He had these he ordered for someone with a small car that never picked them up. Offered to mount and balance for 70 dollars a piece. I think i will give them a try.
    that's a very good price ….. are they the older " Q5's " or the new " quatrac model " ????? …… Mike

Spyder Garage

Q5. I am going to check the date codes on them. He said he has had them about three months.

Spyder Garage

Q5. I am going to check the date codes on them. He said he has had them about three months.
    Vredestein has up-dated the Q-5 …. it's now called the Quatrac ….. Mike