Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sticky thread for tires?

I think there should be a sticky thread for tires that shows brands and sizes that work with Spyders. I have 2 spyders for the last 7 years and it seems like the tire recommendations change or I cant remember what everyone is using. It also seems like someone is always asking about tires because a search turns up too many topics. It would be nice to have one sticky thread with all the tire brands and sizes listed so people can go to one place for answers.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires Tires and more about Tires

I believe that you are correct about the need for a 'Tires Sticky'.
    If You or someone who is able to do this, please give us a shout.
    Thanks Little Blue. ..... : )
    Last edited by Little Blue; 01-19-2022 at 07:24 PM.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"My tires slip too much in the rain"! Well, it's wet out there what do you expect? Stay off the dam throttle. JMHO but, find the kind (brand) of tires you like and stick with them, and don't look back. I've done that with all my vehicles and it works out well. Shopping around for tires is like going to the clothing store with your wife, and as she tries on all the different dresses she asks, "honey does this make my butt look fat"? BORING!

Spyder Garage

I'm still a novice regarding tires on my RT. The Q5s up front have been very good compared to the OEM Kendas. Still lots of meat left after 15k. But the rear Q5 was done after 12k so I put a General Altimax on the back. I find the Altimax has less traction than the Q5 had. I can easily spin it taking off and the rear feels looser when the roads are wet than the Q5 did. Next rear will be something other than the Altimax. I'd rather have the extra stick than the higher mileage.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I think Joel The Biker is on to something here.
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but way too often, I see a new owner ask a question and some member responds with a snarky comment "Use the search feature"
    For some of the more popular topics, the search function returns so many results as to be nearly useless.
    Perhaps making a few subjects as stickies would be helpful. Maybe no more than 5 hot topics or so. Too many stickies, and then again, the threads would be too numerous to be useless.
    I would recommend:
    Safety (lights, helmets, riding gear)
    Tires
    Oil
    Handling (shocks, alignment)
    Comfort (seats, handlebars, backrests, intercom/music systems)

Just a thought. I could be wrong. If I am, I'm sure MANY people on this forum will be happy to tell me so.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Anyone who wants to, can surely start such a thread.

Peter, BlueKnight, and others...???

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Anyone who wants to, can surely start such a thread.

Peter, BlueKnight, and others...???
    With all due respect, I think that's the specific issue. Individual members have, on the aggregate, started HUNDREDS of threads on tires and oil. The search function returns far too many hits for someone to sort through them and make any sense.
    Am I wrong, I thought only the moderators can create sticky threads?
    IBA #47122

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone who wants to, can surely start such a thread. Peter, BlueKnight, and others...???
    I don't think 'anyone' can create a 'sticky' thread, can they? That's the issue here, I think.

I agree with others that there are so many threads on this topic, not all organized in a useful way, as to make a search for good, solid information (vs. uninformed opinions) very difficult. I also understand that much info can be very subjective plus suitable tire brands and models can vary over time. BUT, some objective information about sizes, compounds, load ratings, tire pressures, etc can be made into a 'sticky' by someone who is both knowledgeable and articulate.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    With all due respect, I think that's the specific issue. Individual members have, on the aggregate, started HUNDREDS of threads on tires and oil. The search function returns far too many hits for someone to sort through them and make any sense.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

One issue with a sticky is that tyre models are constantly changed by the manufacturers, so it would quickly fall out of date and create confusion. I am not saying it isn’t a good idea, just that readers need to be aware that the sticky may not contain “current” models unless someone is constantly monitoring manufacturing changes and updating the sticky.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I think it is a great idea to create a "sticky" thread on tires and sizes for many of the reasons above stated. I don't know, but think that only one of the administrator's can create such a thread and there would be some necessary editing of the existing information to give it a meaningful beginning. Still think it's a great idea.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A sticky for tires, oil, and so on with relevant info and not simply random opinions would be very helpful particularly to newbies. It may help to clean up the seeming cluster that exists currently. Trying to keep posts from going off topic has got to be a giant headache.

Spyder Garage

If someone makes a thread, they can consult with a moderator or admin to make it a sticky.

I will get corrected if I am wrong.

Not an expert in tires or oil...so I am not the person.

ADDITIONAL: if you go to forums and click on the General discussion section you will find five sticky threads.

Three of them were started by members and two by admin.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-19-2022 at 07:31 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    A sticky for tires, oil, and so on with relevant info and not simply random opinions would be very helpful particularly to newbies. It may help to clean up the seeming cluster that exists currently. Trying to keep posts from going off topic has got to be a giant headache.
    Have to respectfully disagree. Keeping posts on topic is NOT a large problem, IMO. Hey! We have to earn our money, sometimes.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I can see it now. 6 months later......50 pages and 1/3 of the post want to know what size tire they should get.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have to respectfully disagree. Keeping posts on topic is NOT a large problem, IMO. Hey! We have to earn our money, sometimes.
    Hey, it was just a thought. You get the big bucks.

Spyder Garage

It could be in the form of a chart like they have for car tires on bikes. Just up date with newer tires and newer models.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    It could be in the form of a chart like they have for car tires on bikes. Just up date with newer tires and newer models.
    Who is 'they'? I haven't seen one.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

If going for a sticky thread on tyres I then suggest it will be made into 2 sticky threads: 1 for the Spyder and 1 for the Ryker.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Inge View Post
    If going for a sticky thread on tyres I then suggest it will be made into 2 sticky threads: 1 for the Spyder and 1 for the Ryker.
    It could all be in the same thread for both trikes. And it would not matter if a tire was not manufactured anymore. I have seen people find tires that arent made anymore. It would be really nice if it was a selectable chart where you enter your year and model and it gave a list of tires that fit. Kinda like Tire Rack. Everytime I am due for new tires, it has been so long that the recommended tires or available tires have changed. Then I have to try and search for the current popular tire and hundreds of threads pop up. Very frustrating. I also was not aware there were any other tires available for the Ryker.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I started a thread. See if you guys like it or have any CONSTRUCTIVE comments.
    Accent on CONSTRUCTIVE.
    IBA #47122

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I started a thread. See if you guys like it or have any CONSTRUCTIVE comments.
    Accent on CONSTRUCTIVE.
    It's not what I think of as a repository of technical data for Spyder tires. Sorry.

I think that for each size tire (14" and 15") for the model years that have the same specs, we list the OEM tire's profile (width and diameter inflated), then we can start listing the car tires (brand, model, size and profile specs) that will work as a replacement (i.e. fit that application).
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-21-2022 at 04:57 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum