Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Stranded by DESS Check Key - any fix besides towing?

I have read as many posts as I could on this forum and FB, there seems to be no quick fix that works on all years and models when stranded by CHECK KEY other than being towed to the nearest dealer. Things I have noticed - weather below 50 deg
    F can cause it. In my case I had to be towed ($96) when stranded outside a bar that was closed. This is my 3rd Spyder, never before any trouble. The dealer put a new DESS about 2,000 mi ago, 7200 mi on bike. It has been checked by a dealer 3 times. Is there such a thing as a lemon? This is my first post and if you have any input thanks in advance. I also enjoy the discussion a lot and thanks for letting me participate.2020 RTL
    Last edited by Jcrozzb; 01-17-2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Put Question in Title ;-)
    2020 RTL , Asphalt

Spyder Garage

I would like to see BRP get rid of this troublesome item or make a good fix.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcrozzb View Post
    I have read as many post as I could on this forum and FB there Seems to be no quick fix that works on all years and models when stranded by CHECK KEY other than being towed to the nearest dealer. things I have noticed weather below 50 deg
    F can cause it in my case I have had to be towed $96 stranded outside a bar that was closed , this is my 3rd Spyder never before any trouble the dealer put a new dess about 2,000 mi ago 7200 mi on bike has been checked by a dealer 3 times is there such a thing as a lemon ? This is my first post and if you have any input thanks in advance. I also enjoy the discussion a lot and thanks for letting me participate
    HI Jcrozzb,

What year is your spyder?
    What is your spyder model?

Did the can-am dealership replace the switch?

Here is some info that I got from a can-am dealership in Vt. : Technical Explanation When the D.E.S.S module sends it signal to the antenna to read the key chip, the radio frequency produced by the antenna is too strong an the key is saturated. This saturation changes the data transmitted back to the D.E.S.S. module causing a bad lecture of the key chip.

Problem:
    Intermittently, the ignition key may not be recognized causing the unit not to start. The D.E.S.S. ERROR message will be displayed in the Cluster.

Solution: Replace the D.E.S.S. module.
    Program the keys using the B.U.D.S.

Also, have the your can -am dealership open a case with BRP.

Here is an other suggestion: Turn the ignition switch on/off several times DO NOT LET THE SYSTEM SHUT DOWN do that for 4 to 5 cycles.

I started a Thread on: D.E.S.S Key Code Again!!!!!! on 8/13/2015

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...KEY-CODE-AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there is some very helpful ideas and suggestions in that thread.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2022 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added link

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have read as many post as I could on this forum and FB there Seems to be no quick fix that works on all years and models when stranded by CHECK KEY other than being towed to the nearest dealer. things I have noticed weather below 50 deg
    F can cause it in my case I have had to be towed $96 stranded outside a bar that was closed , this is my 3rd Spyder never before any trouble the dealer put a new dess about 2,000 mi ago 7200 mi on bike has been checked by a dealer 3 times is there such a thing as a lemon ? This is my first post and if you have any input thanks in advance. I also enjoy the discussion a lot and thanks for letting me participate
    What year and model?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

2020 rt-l
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-12-2022 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Caps ;-)
    2020 RTL , Asphalt

Spyder Garage

How many times or how often has this happened?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Several 3 times at dealer over a year period
    2020 RTL , Asphalt

Spyder Garage

Hi J,
    Still under warrantee??? Get the dealer to open a case with BRP while giving you a loaner. New bikes shouldn't have this problem and if they do the dealer and BRP really needs to take care of it promptly. Poor customer service doesn't sit well with the buying public-----

My DESS problem occurred out of warrantee ( but not by much). Replaced the DESS module myself and no more problems since.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is it possible to eliminate the DESS, A simple non chipped key would be perfect.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Is it possible to eliminate the DESS, A simple non chipped key would be perfect.
    For a 2020 you need to find someone with a BUDS 2 Megatech license. They can disable DESS. Dealers usually don't have the version and even if they do, most dealers won't disable it due to the liability.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    For a 2020 you need to find someone with a BUDS 2 Megatech license. They can disable DESS. Dealers usually don't have the version and even if they do, most dealers won't disable it due to the liability.
    Then you can use a non chipped key. When we bought our RT I had a non chipped key made so my wife could lock/unlock the trunk and bags. I had DESS disabled and her key will start the RT.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

2020 rtl
    This is very disappointing. I would have hoped the DESS issue would have been solved by now.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

i'm new in the Spyder world , my question is ... What is this DESS ???? what does it really Do.... and , how do I turn it off ......... OR does my 2011 RT even Have This on it ????

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    i'm new in the Spyder world , my question is ... What is this DESS ???? what does it really Do.... and , how do I turn it off ......... OR does my 2011 RT even Have This on it ????

All Spyders have a Security System, and that's what the DESS is, a Security System that matches the key & a code held in the the Spyder's ECU before allowing the engine to start. And Yes, your 2011 Spyder does have a version of DESS on it, but it's NOT the one causing all the problems on the 2014 & on Spyders! The DESS version that your Spyder has worked fine & had few issues, ever - so you don't need to turn it off or remove it.

Just Ryde More, Worry Less!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    To follow up on Peter's comment. With your Spyder you have to have two keys to program the key codes into the DESS. You MUST have one key that is already programmed into the DESS to in order to add more keys to it, up to 8 max. If you lose all the keys that have been programmed in, which is usually the two from the factory, plus any others that may have been added, your will be in deep doo-doo. There is no way to add a key to the DESS unless you have at least one that is already programmed in. That means buying an entire ignition key system for hundreds of dollars.

If you do not have any spare keys for your Spyder, you better get one. If you have only one key the best thing is get a key blank from the dealer, have it cut, and then have the dealer program it into the DESS. If you have two keys now, then a good way to go is to get a blank that can be cloned. I don't remember the brand and number at the moment but a search here for clone will find it. The clone key works exactly like the OEM that was used to clone it. Many key places can clone the key.

In 2014 the DESS was changed so that it can read any OEM key, and with using BUDS a dealer can enter the key ID code into the Engine Control Module. It can then be used to start the Spyder. No one has come up with a way to clone a 2014 and later key. A special more powerful version of BUDs has the capability to go into the DESS and ECM program and disable the requirement to use only a key programmed in. Not many dealers, or anyone else, has the license to use the Megatech version of BUDs.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another tip: never let water run into your keyhole! This happened to me when the dealer washed the unit without FIRST REMOVING THE KEY to let that nifty flap close the keyhole. The DESS had to be replaced (under warranty) but I was without my ryde for 8 days, waiting for the part.

Now I'm out of warranty, so I guess if it happens again, I'm screwed!

To the OP: did you check on your warranty benefit for that towing bill? My warranty paid for a tow once, but the tow was pre-arranged by the warranty provider.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does Lamonster Garage have a Megatech version of BUDs?????
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Hi J,
    Still under warrantee??? Get the dealer to open a case with BRP while giving you a loaner. New bikes shouldn't have this problem and if they do the dealer and BRP really needs to take care of it promptly. Poor customer service doesn't sit well with the buying public-----

My DESS problem occurred out of warrantee ( but not by much). Replaced the DESS module myself and no more problems since.

Lew L
    Lew L

In this thread on post number 3, I did mention to them to have there dealership open up a case with BRP.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Does Lamonster Garage have a Megatech version of BUDs?????
    Yes we do.

Spyder Garage

If the DESS system is turned off using BUDS, does it stay off, or will subsequent firmware updates turn it back on ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Lew L

In this thread on post number 3, I did mention to them to have there dealership open up a case with BRP.

Deanna
    . OK------------- and if 100 of us said that BRP should permanently fix reoccurring DESS problem---------- BRP/ CanAm has done NOTHING to rectify the problem in 8 years. They aren't going to do anything now.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    If the DESS system is turned off using BUDS, does it stay off, or will subsequent firmware updates turn it back on ?
    Yes it's off for good, unless some soon to be in a world of hurt dealer turns it back on.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

If you have drilled the hole in your key to put it on a key ring I've noticed that other chipped keys or devices can cause a problem if they are to close together.
    2018 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Here we go AGAIN.
    The year MOST effected was 2014 - the first year they "changed" the system.
    There were far less occurrences in 2015; even less in 2016; and after that it was RARELY heard of.
    Unfortunately for you, are one of those rarities!

From 2014 - 2016 (it took that long for them to actually figure out the cause) the problem was one of THREE possibilities.

The MOST likely was the antenna coiled around the ignition switch.
    The next was the DESS Module itself.
    Finally, BOTH the antenna & DESS module.

Except for the DESS module itself, the cause of the error is RF overload/saturation or simply put TO MUCH signal received by the antenna.

This can and occasionally does cause problems with smart phones connected to wifi using 2.4GHz. Meaning if you phone has WiFi On and connected to a network on 2.4GHz AND you place this phone in the vicinity of the ignition switch/key you MAY experience a problem even in good properly working systems.

If the new year models are designed the same, they work the same. But it appears starting in 2017, they pretty much got the DESS problem under control. Remember there is no such thing as ZERO defects in manufacturing. Never was, never will be!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is the first time I have heard of this problem on 2020+ models. I sure hope its not a sign of things to come. I think I will turn off my DESS for peace of mind.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green