Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RT vs F3 shock length?

Does anyone know if the shock length is the same on the RT and F3? I want to get rid of my Elkas and switch to Fox shocks. Maybe someone could measure their F3 shock(bolt center to bolt center) if they have a set laying around. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 01-17-2022 at 12:09 AM.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Just replaced the stockers for some Fox podium 1.5's on the wifes F3.17-5/8'' centres.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Does anyone know if the shock length is the same on the RT and F3? I want to get rid of my Elkas and switch to Fox shocks. Maybe someone could measure their F3 shock(bolt center to bolt center) if they have a set laying around. Thanks in advance.
    Spec 2020 F3L. Spyder weight loaded
    420 mm c-c shock mounting bolts
    4.5 in ground clearance
    Last edited by bikerchris1270; 01-17-2022 at 05:33 AM.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

What did the Elka's come off?? Are they just the front ones, or do you have the rear also? Reason I ask is that I would love to do my rear shock!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I believe the RT front shocks are approx .75" longer up front. Go to the 3 minute mark on this video ..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiVkQK4Px60&t=122s

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you. My stock RT shocks are 19-3/4 c2c. I guess I will just put the stock shocks back on. I hate my Elkas. I think the stock shocks on the 2021s ride better.

Spyder Garage

Have you tried to adjust them any? They set them up for whatever weight you gave them, and yes they will ride a little stiffer, but there adjustable!! Have to tried to adjust the damping any? What is it you don't like?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have tried many different adjustments. But they just dont ride well. I wish Elka would put dual rate springs on the shocks. They also make too many clunking noises/have noisy internal valving. They will probably be put on ebay as soon as I can switch them back.

Spyder Garage

I have tried many different adjustments. But they just dont ride well. I wish Elka would put dual rate springs on the shocks. They also make too many clunking noises/have noisy internal valving. They will probably be put on ebay as soon as I can switch them back.
    Been a crazy few weeks for me rebuilding shocks. As. I sit here waiting on the sun to rise, my ICON shocks for my Toyota Tacoma are apart and waiting for final cleaning, reassembly, service and reinstallation. Over the past few weeks, I have fully rebuilt my vintage Ohlins shocks for the 1981 KTM495, I rebuilt my friends Works Performance shocks for his 1981 Maico 490, and I fully rebuilt a set of first generation non gas type Works Performance shocks with intentions to sell. Did not sell them, but rather boxed them up and stored them after I got warning I may be getting a vintage Maico that could use them.

Regarding your klunky valving, and not saying this is your issue, but possibly the shocks have leaked the gas out. If you have access to a no loss Shrader chuck and N2 with an accurate gage setup, you might consider regassing them. Not exactly sure what pressure Elka suggests. Unless competing, the exact amount is less critical but should be matched between the two fronts. I would suggest 200 psi, but Elka could say 147, or even 250.

Often klunky valving is lost gas pressure or excessive low speed rebound / rebound clicker closed too much. I this a lot on bicycle rear shocks where the owner has cranked in the rebound adjuster, or the shock is so far beyond needing service the rebound shims cause a knocking as the shaft extends.

Then again, I am not a fan of second tier suspension and understand why removing them is an option also.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you could be correct about loss of gas. It looks like the shock I sent in for repair is leaking again slightly. I am so frustrated by the poor Elka quality. So many people report leaking shocks after 1 or 2 years, when the stock shocks will go 100k miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Been a crazy few weeks for me rebuilding shocks. As. I sit here waiting on the sun to rise, my ICON shocks for my Toyota Tacoma are apart and waiting for final cleaning, reassembly, service and reinstallation. Over the past few weeks, I have fully rebuilt my vintage Ohlins shocks for the 1981 KTM495, I rebuilt my friends Works Performance shocks for his 1981 Maico 490, and I fully rebuilt a set of first generation non gas type Works Performance shocks with intentions to sell. Did not sell them, but rather boxed them up and stored them after I got warning I may be getting a vintage Maico that could use them.

Regarding your klunky valving, and not saying this is your issue, but possibly the shocks have leaked the gas out. If you have access to a no loss Shrader chuck and N2 with an accurate gage setup, you might consider regassing them. Not exactly sure what pressure Elka suggests. Unless competing, the exact amount is less critical but should be matched between the two fronts. I would suggest 200 psi, but Elka could say 147, or even 250.

Often klunky valving is lost gas pressure or excessive low speed rebound / rebound clicker closed too much. I this a lot on bicycle rear shocks where the owner has cranked in the rebound adjuster, or the shock is so far beyond needing service the rebound shims cause a knocking as the shaft extends.

Then again, I am not a fan of second tier suspension and understand why removing them is an option also.
    What shocks would you consider first tier for the Spyder ?

Spyder Garage

I think you could be correct about loss of gas. It looks like the shock I sent in for repair is leaking again slightly. I am so frustrated by the poor Elka quality. So many people report leaking shocks after 1 or 2 years, when the stock shocks will go 100k miles.
    Did you have Elka repair the shock? If it's leaking down, I would think they would be good for it!! There not some fly by night company.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    What shocks would you consider first tier for the Spyder ?
    To understand what I mean regarding first tier, this I reference to the large players in the suspension industry that sell production and aftermarket suspension. You asked specifically for the Spyder, and there is only one first tier, that is Fox aftermarket units. I have said this many times before. I am not a Fox fan boy, I do not like how Fox operates when dealing with them, and even do not like working on their bicycle stuff, but, they do have a lot of experience, resources, and engineering / production expertise to supply very good suspension.

I have seen Wilburs shocks years ago at a trade show. Not Spyder specific, but they did look very nice.
    I have dealt with Race Tech for a long time, in my circles, the Race Tech stuff is deemed not great when compared to others.
    M2, my friend bought drag shocks from them. They were so far from correct it took four or five tries to get the bike ridable. Ironic too, as drag racing is their M2 specialty.
    I like King shocks. My experience with them is on off road trucks. High end and good performing stuff. Had they been available when I was getting shocks, I may have bought those instead of aftermarket Fox.

I recently suggested to another Spyder owner to inquire with Noleen to see if they could build a set of Spyder shocks. They may not be interested. The current Noleen shocks are being praised to near Ohlins performance, so that is impressive.

Ultimately though, Joel will get it sorted out, he always does. One option he might consider, I installed BajaRon preload collars on a friends 2021 RT Limited. Those, along with Formoza tires, and the BajaRon swaybar have worked well for him. He is a larger guy, but the setup retained the plush but planted ride he desired.

Joel has the ability to fabricate his own preload shims, and with that, oem shocks with more preload could be just what works best. Not everyone desires firmer springs, but yet the feel they offer initially says “performance”. As that wears away, performance becomes harshness. In Joels case, if the shocks have lost N2 and are leaking, quite possibly, they are no fun to ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Did you have Elka repair the shock? If it's leaking down, I would think they would be good for it!! There not some fly by night company.

Elka was recently purchased by Liberty Spring of Canada. The press release states no changes, and very possibly that may be. Realize too, Elka is a very young suspension company, at 20 years old. Fox is certainly much larger, and was founded in the early 1970s.

General trend is Elka does offer performance suspension, but with that comes a similar maintenance schedule. Many hear have noted Elkas leaking and requiring repeated service. To gain performance, often low drag seals are utilized. This can require more frequent servicing.

Yes, I agree, if low time and within the warranty they offer, Elka should sort this out.

https://www.elkasuspension.com/liber...c=72e1ba2726d6

Spyder Garage

My local suspension shop also deals primarily with Ohlin's. They use Ohlin's on the majority of their race support teams. They also deal with Race Tech, and were prior dealers for Elka but no more. They were fairly strong in steering me away from Elka. They actually recommended me to go the Wilber route as far as Spyder options. I'm waiting word from them if they can get access to Wilber, but doesn't sound promising. They have never used, or heard of M2. But in the Spyder world, M2 has a loyal/devoted following. As far as Wilber goes, Ted Porter has been a good guy to communicate with.
    Last edited by troop; 01-19-2022 at 09:40 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Ted Porter is the guy to deal with on Wilber shocks. Even living in Canada I have had great service from him when ordering Wilber shocks for my BMW bikes. One day turn around when my dealer sent the BMW original ESA controlled shocks to them. They removed and reinstalled the ESA controller from my original shocks and onto the new Wilber shocks. Did this on several of my bikes with great results. Shock were setup for my needs.

Randy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Yes, I sent them back because one was clunking and leaking after one month. Got them back and were still clunking and leaking slightly. Switched the 2014 back to stock. Bought my 2021 and tried them on it with the same results. Total junk in my opinion. I have not heard of issues with Wilber shocks, and have heard M2 shocks are not the correct length for the RT. I noticed one rider with M2 shocks on his and it definitely sits too low. Maybe they have corrected this by now.
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 01-21-2022 at 04:31 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferrasr View Post
    Ted Porter is the guy to deal with on Wilber shocks. Even living in Canada I have had great service from him when ordering Wilber shocks for my BMW bikes. One day turn around when my dealer sent the BMW original ESA controlled shocks to them. They removed and reinstalled the ESA controller from my original shocks and onto the new Wilber shocks. Did this on several of my bikes with great results. Shock were setup for my needs.

Randy
    Where in USA is a seller for Wilber Shocks?

Spyder Garage

Where in USA is a seller for Wilber Shocks?
    Two of them .. Go with beemershop
    https://www.beemershop.com/category/...uspension.html
    www.wilbersusa.com

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

they do fit the rt and you can adjust ride height

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    they do fit the rt and you can adjust ride height
    Are you saying the F3 fox shocks will work on the RT?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

m 2 shocks