Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    +1 And--- it's as though "they" forgot how to drive in the snow over the summer, fall and spring.

Lew L
    If you're not doing anything Friday, I might be up at Mt. Rose for the first time this season.

Weather-permitting, of course.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Wow, I am worried about Mike, a tire tread and he hasn't made one comment yet!!!
    Well that's because my PCU / hard-drive DIED on the 16th (?) ...... So I'm back now ...... TRACTION - there are two types ....Wet & Dry ..... A " SLICK " will achieve the Best DRY traction .... but would kill you in the Rain ..... for maximum WET traction, a SNOW tire will provide better / best traction, WHY ???, because they are designed to remove the maximum amount of water from the TREAD ...... And then there is the BEST compromising TIRE choice .... the NEW Vredestein " Quatrac " model .... as stated by another member, it has an actual " Winter " rating ....... over to you Peter ..... Mike
    Rain
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-23-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Been trying to post a link to adjustable zip tie tire chains but the links won't post correctly. Check out zip tie tire chains.
    I would NOT try tire chains under any circumstances - period .....JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would NOT try tire chains under any circumstances - period .....JMHO .... Mike
    Have you looked at them? I could see where they might work out in a pinch if you had the guts enough to get in a pinch that tight. I'm just say'n.............

Spyder Garage

Tire is mounted/balanced. I won't be re-installing until my rear shock gets here. Riding in about another month
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    +1 And--- it's as though "they" forgot how to drive in the snow over the summer, fall and spring.

Lew L
    You should try driving around here with people who have never seen snow before.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ALEKO-Uni...Pack/155176340

Great idea.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can hear it now! Those tie ends sticking out and slapping the swing arm with the sound of playing cards clothespinned to the front fork of bicycle like we did when we were kids!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I can hear it now! Those tie ends sticking out and slapping the swing arm with the sound of playing cards clothespinned to the front fork of bicycle like we did when we were kids!

Yea, I hear you. But we are all adults now and I think we would (should) clip the ends of those zip ties. If I recall correctly when I was cruising the web looking at those I saw several styles of those things. I just picked one to illustrate my comment. JMHO, that finding a less aggressive zip tie that will clear the swing would be an option to consider if you woke up in the morning in FBE somewhere and it had snowed 6" overnight. Maybe? I'm going to do more research and testing before going further. As of now we've got 3" of that white stuff in the driveway and it's still coming down.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-05-2022 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Now that it is mounted/balanced can we get the outside diameter measurement ?
    2019 F3 S
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

Those are very interesting ..... I'm not sure how long they would last .... on a Spyder tire that has limited traction to begin with and will still spend a lot time SPINNING anyway ..... JMHO .... I usually won't take the Spyder out below 50 F..... At 50 MPH the wind chill factor is hugh .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those are very interesting ..... I'm not sure how long they would last .... on a Spyder tire that has limited traction to begin with and will still spend a lot time SPINNING anyway ..... JMHO .... I usually won't take the Spyder out below 50 F..... At 50 MPH the wind chill factor is hugh .....Mike
    I haven't purchased any to try yet. But I will in the near future. Just want to see how difficult it would be to use them and how successful they might be in getting out of a messy situation. They may be worth the effort and again maybe not. Don't know until I play with them a little. I'll let you know. By the way, I bought a set of Baker's air wings this winter. Had a couple of issues fitting them but WHAT a difference they made when riding at 50 degrees. It's kind of like having or not having handlebar grip warmers.

Spyder Garage

I haven't purchased any to try yet. But I will in the near future. Just want to see how difficult it would be to use them and how successful they might be in getting out of a messy situation. They may be worth the effort and again maybe not. Don't know until I play with them a little. I'll let you know. By the way, I bought a set of Baker's air wings this winter. Had a couple of issues fitting them but WHAT a difference they made when riding at 50 degrees. It's kind of like having or not having handlebar grip warmers.
    I've only thought of them for HOT weather ( which doesn't bother me ) ..... now I'm considering them ..... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Tire is mounted/balanced. I won't be re-installing until my rear shock gets here. Riding in about another month
    When you do get around to trying it out don't be surprised at how noisy it might be. I bought my 2016 Maxima used. I didn't realize until the next summer that the front tires were snow tires and rear regular highway tread. The reason I found out is the service tech noticed it when I took the car in to be checked out. I thought for sure a front wheel bearing had gone bad. After I swapped the tires front to rear the noise moved to the rear but it is still quite annoying.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 03-06-2022 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling correction

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Yup ... Aware of that

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PGDoug View Post
    Approx. 25.4"

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

It's on

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Approx. 25.4"
    Thank you
    2019 F3 S
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PGDoug View Post

~~~not having a go with you here, really. I believe the correct term is circumference, not outside diameter measurement

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel 🐿 finds a nut every once in a while
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

It's on

~~~looking forward to reading what you have to say about this tire’s all around performance Troop!

As some have mentioned, winter tires tend to have a softer compound which results in faster wear in warm/dry conditions. That may be so. Last time I purchased winter tires was for an F-100 Ford truck (1968 model year F-100) in oh, around 1975 (only had it for a few years). I can definitely attest to the fast rate of wear on a set of rain tires I ran on my road race bike (closed competition course, not on public roads). The tire compound was so soft that when riding on sections of the track (Moroso, Indian Town Fla.) that were dry, I looked for puddles to run through to stop the high rate of tire wear. I could smell rubber burning on the dry patches. It might be hard to understand how or why would you run a rain tire if there were dry parts of the track yet when it rained at times, one end of the track could be pouring rain while the opposite end was not raining at all and yes, the rain tires were highly siped but the soft tire compound also contributed to these tires uber stickiness

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryders Up

It's on
    Let's see what she can do. Soooooo give us your thoughts in about 3 or 4 months with say 3,000 or more miles.

Let the Smile Miles roll. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Took my first ride of the season yesterday. If the tire was any louder, I certainly couldn't tell from normal wind noise. Speedo was spot on and the ride was smooooth

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I have about 3k miles on the Goodyear Ultra Grip and can easily report that I really like this tire. I just did a 2200 mile trip to Sturgis, and did many hundreds of miles in the canyons. Stuck like glue, no increase in noise and zero issues on a 500 mile day of rain on I90. Very happy

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

On this topic my post #27 has the perfect solution ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

On this topic my post #27 has the perfect solution ..... Mike
    My Goodyear Ultra Grip has been personally tested by me for hundreds of thousands of miles in multiple state patrol cruisers thru all kinds of conditions/seasons. Good enough for me
    Last edited by troop; 08-21-2022 at 11:01 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky