Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Might just try a snow tire for normal season riding

** THIS TIRE WILL NOT BE USED IN SNOW **

Like many others, I devour the the tire threads, seeing what is considered the latest and greatest. Thinking back to my days when I was "trooping" in WI winters, my tire of choice was the Goodyear Ultra Grip winter tire. I was so impressed with the quality of traction, that I actually left them on year round on all four corners. I likely put on several hundred thousand miles on them. Now, perusing tire sites, I see that Goodyear actually makes the Ultra Grip winter tire in a 215/60R15. No longer available from Walmart at $88 , I do see it for $145/delivered. While my Cooper CS Ultra A/S still has plenty of tread, I'm considering the traction properties of a full time snow in the back. Hell, it's mid winter in WI, I have to ponder something for the next couple/few months
    * Picture shows with studs. It comes w/o studs*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troop; 01-23-2022 at 04:08 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have found that snow tires will "impede" your progress. The two front tires act as plows if you get into snow of any depth (about 5 inches). The rear wheel will just spin. If you get into a coating of ice, you are all done.

And for those who read the operators manual, we are cautioned that Spyders are not for snow driving or driving through water.

Studs were allowed in Alaska, but most lower 48 states outlaw them. They tear up the roads. Alaska is known for its "grooved" roads from the winter tire stud action.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-16-2022 at 11:58 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have found that snow tires will "imprede" your progress. The two front tires act as plows if you get into snow of any depth (about 5 inches). The rear wheel will just spin. If you get into a coating of ice, you are all done.

And for those who read the operators manual, we are cautioned that Spyders are not for snow driving or driving through water.

Studs were allowed in Alaska, but most lower 48 states outlaw them. They tear up the roads. Alaska is known for its "grooved" roads from the winter tire stud action.

Enjoy.
    Ha .. I guess I should have been a bit more clearer. The tire will be for my NORMAL riding season. I WILL NOT be riding in snow. My Spyder is in a deep state of hibernation
    Last edited by troop; 01-23-2022 at 01:58 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I know of one other Spyder rider that put a snow tire on the rear. He never reported back how it went. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I know of one other Spyder rider that put a snow tire on the rear. He never reported back how it went. Tom
    The owner of a dealership in Alaska tried snow tires. He went to work on the Spyder one day, and that was enough. I followed his advice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The Q5 is essentially a winter (snow) tire also. They may be useless in snow/ice but still be better gripping cold roads. I definitely feel a difference after switching to the Altmax that breaks loose much easier than the Q5 did,
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Just looking at the picture of the tire, to me, it looks like more of an all-season (M+S) tire and not particularly an aggressive snow tire. (Except for the studs). But I cannot imagine any condition, that I would want to ride in, when it could provide any advantage..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Basically, other than tread life, a snow tire will perform very well on dry/wet pavement. The rubber compound is designed to be softer/more pliable than all season/summer tire rubber to grip better on ice/snow/cold pavement. One other small negative is that snow tires will be slightly less effective in preventing punctures due to the softer compound. They also maybe be a bit noisier due to the tread pattern. That's a reason why you see treadwear ratings of 400 on the Vredestein's.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Basically, other than tread life, a snow tire will perform very well on dry/wet pavement. The rubber compound is designed to be softer/more pliable than all season/summer tire rubber to grip better on ice/snow/cold pavement. One other small negative is that snow tires will be slightly less effective in preventing punctures due to the softer compound. They also maybe be a bit noisier due to the tread pattern. That's a reason why you see treadwear ratings of 400 on the Vredestein's.
    From what I have read on tire manufacturers websites and my experience with being lazy with my wife's care during Covid, running winter ties in the summer is not generally such a good idea.

1. They will be too soft and not steer as well at warmer temperatures.
    2. Braking distances are nowhere near as good at warmer temperatures.
    3. Wet weather grip at higher temperatures is not so good.
    4. Traction in the wet or when braking or turning is reduced even more when the accelerated wear is occurs.
    5. Running winter tires in summer at low pressures makes all the above problems more marked.
    6. There is some possibility of tire failure but I think that is much more likely given a heavier car or SUV at high speeds.

Me, I would stick to mud and snow all season tires as a compromise. They will be cheaper, perform better, run quieter and last appreciably longer. When it gets to the temperature where snow tires are better performers than the all seasons it's probably time to put it away for the winter.

That's just my opinion.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Wow, it never even occurred to me to consider snow tires for the Spyder or any motorcycle that I have owned in the last 40 years. Even without a drop of snow or ice on the road, when it's cold enough to worry about anything freezing its too cold, in my opinion to be riding in anything but a heated car or truck.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Hey Troop,
    Interesting looking tire that comes with pretty good reviews. It is definitely listed as a winter tire and with the directional tread design and lots of drainage sipes. It looks like it may be a good choice for the rear tire of the Spyder and like it would be an excellent tire for wet traction. I see your second post that you don't ride in snow. Neither do I. That would not be my cup of tea on the Spyder, especially the older one like my 2009 GS with it's in your face overly aggressive traction control.

Goodyear doesn't list the UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade) values on their website and they have "N/A" listed for the estimated tread life...so it is probably a pretty soft rubber compound that will wear out more quickly that the typical all season touring tire. One thing that stood out on the Goodyear specs is that the thread depth is listed at 13/32 inch. This is significantly more tread depth than the Vredesteins 10/32 inch. All in all though, this might be a good thing for wet traction vs. harder, longer wearing tires, and the extra tread depth will help durability.

Note the diameter of the Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter in 215/60R15 is listed at 25.2"
    The VRedestein Quatrac 205/60R15 is listed at 24.8" (I have the Quatrac 5 in this size on my 2009GS and a new Quatrac, also in 205/60R15 waiting for the time to install on the new RTL. This seems to be the most common size used for Vredestein tires on the rear of the Spyders)
    The VRedestein Quatrac 215/60R15 is listed at 25.5"

If you get the Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter, let us know how it works out. On paper, it looks like a great choice for wet traction.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Been trying to post a link to adjustable zip tie tire chains but the links won't post correctly. Check out zip tie tire chains.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 01-16-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Been trying to post a link to adjustable zip tie tire chains but the links won't post correctly. Check out zip tie tire chains.
    HERE YA GO, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc3xsqWjgzY

T.P.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1613825

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    Hey, Thanks T.P. Maybe stuffing a half dozen of these things in the bottom of your frunk for wintertime may not be a bad idea. They could assist you to get home and into the garage safely under tuff circumstances. To ARtraveler, these things are not studded with metal studs. They are all plastic.

Spyder Garage

Utah does allow studs and even requires them in certain areas and times of the year.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I have a mud/snow tire on the back of my 2 wheel HD. Original tire lasted 10k, this Goodyear has only given up 1/32 in 5k miles.
    I say go for it. I will be following your results for when the wife kills the rear on her 21 F3s

Spyder Garage

Wow, I am worried about Mike, a tire tread and he hasn't made one comment yet!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

GUYS .. GUYS ...GUYS ... FORGET about the studs. This will be a normal riding season tire. My F3S is in hibernation here in Wisconsin

** Tire ordered today. Will not be able to give input for a few months I'll keep apprised **
    Last edited by troop; 01-17-2022 at 05:20 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Tire arrived today. It does look more like an aggressive all season tire versus a pure snow tire. Gonna be a bit before I swap it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Tire arrived today. It does look more like an aggressive all season tire versus a pure snow tire. Gonna be a bit before I swap it out.
    Troop, I like it ! My only concern is will it be a mud slinging stone thrower after crossing some gravel patches.
    Last edited by Knizar; 01-20-2022 at 02:24 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I won't find out till late March/early April. Heck, I'll wait for 45* + day to R/R it

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Holey crap looks like a truck tire.

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You couldn't pay me enough to ride in snow.

With idiots around me who think their 4WD and AWD vehicles are immuned to the natural laws of physics, it would pretty much be a death wish.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    You couldn't pay me enough to ride in snow.

With idiots around me who think their 4WD and AWD vehicles are immune to the natural laws of physics, it would pretty much be a death wish.
    +1 And--- it's as though "they" forgot how to drive in the snow over the summer, fall and spring.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow