Spyder Garage

Default Pet Peeve - Model Specific Forums

I find it annoying when somebody posts a model-specific question in the proper forum and people owning other equipment start talking about their model. I know there are some commonalities, but why not let others owning the matching model answer? For example, I'll be in my Ryker forum on a thread about gas mileage, and somebody with an F3 will talk about their mileage. Who asked you about your F3's mileage? Today I saw somebody asking about Sport mode for their Ryker, and somebody with an RT answered talking about their Sport mode. These types of answers confuse the person asking the question. The Ryker and all the others seem to be very different machines to me. You can't assume similarities. If you've learned from experience the similarities and differences, that's another matter. </rant>
    -2021 Ryker 900

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ha Ha, finally someone else feels the same way. I agree 100%. And to add to that when someone asks a question and it gets answered correctly, the answers continue to go on and on. I guess that's just human nature to want to help. And it just isn't this site, it's indicative of other similar sites.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
    I find it annoying when somebody posts a model-specific question in the proper forum and people owning other equipment start talking about their model. I know there are some commonalities, but why not let others owning the matching model answer? For example, I'll be in my Ryker forum on a thread about gas mileage, and somebody with an F3 will talk about their mileage. Who asked you about your F3's mileage? Today I saw somebody asking about Sport mode for their Ryker, and somebody with an RT answered talking about their Sport mode. These types of answers confuse the person asking the question. The Ryker and all the others seem to be very different machines to me. You can't assume similarities. If you've learned from experience the similarities and differences, that's another matter. </rant>
    Yes….I agree MudBug….. although sometimes it is a genuine mistake, especially if you use the what’s new option where all forums are consolidated, and the OP neither mentions their model, nor has a photo in their profile.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Ha Ha, finally someone else feels the same way. I agree 100%. And to add to that when someone asks a question and it gets answered correctly, the answers continue to go on and on. I guess that's just human nature to want to help. And it just isn't this site, it's indicative of other similar sites.
    That’s one of my pet hates, 2dogs. I just don’t know why some posters can’t spend a few minutes looking at previous responses to see if the question has already been answered correctly…….I agree, people are just trying to be helpful, and it is not limited to this site, and it happens even more frequently on FB. I do get even more irked when someone asks a question in the middle of a 2 or 3 page thread, when an answer to that question has been provided a few posts prior.. Ahhhhhhh. I feel much better now I have vented…..thanks

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Amen to this thread. Seldom do the comments describe the ride, model, etc, at times I'm guilty of that as well. 20 RTL, I enjoy the ride. Enough said.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Post Up Your Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Amen to this thread. Seldom do the comments describe the ride, model, etc, at times I'm guilty of that as well. 20 RTL, I enjoy the ride. Enough said.
    I have posted my 'Spyder 2016 RTL' at the bottom of my page. If everyone would do this 'well you know' in a perfect world. Thanks for your Time. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

And......if we start making changes to the posts, then people gripe about the site police being to over reactive. If we do nothing, then people gripe we are not doing our jobs. We cannot win either way. On this type of a forum, people are going to do what they usually do. You are going to get some overlap. My suggestion is to ignore the parts you don't like and read the ones you do.

I am one of the guilty ones, but I feel that some information from other models gives more information across the board.

I am still waiting for someone to suggest an official registration of the Vin # before you can post about a "supposed" Spyder.

Remember the BRP mileage pins: BRP made you verify the actual mileage before they would send you a pin. That was a constant source of complaints.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have my machine in the signature and always watch what forum I'm in. That being said, I should probably put a photo of my Ryker in the profile. Pete, I didn't know about the "What's New" feature, so I see your point. I think everybody means well, and I'm certainly not one of these guys that wants to stifle anybody. The forum isn't that active, so have at it. I just think it might be confusing to new members when somebody is talking about another machine in response to their question. The answering a question that has already been answered *is* quite common, but I don't mind that as much. I'd rather have that than scolding about "This question has been answered many times. If you do a search for it . . blah blah blah." Well, I am familiar with this forum's software, and the search engine isn't as advanced as Duck Duck Go, etc. As far as policing the forum or changing posts, I'd hate to see that except in cases of profanity and abuse. If I can make a fool out of myself, everybody should have the privilege
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I am one of the guilty ones, but I feel that some information from other models gives more information across the board.
    Maybe you're right, but it just makes me envious. I didn't want to take out a loan nor wait until I saved enough for one of the big boys, so the Ryker was my only choice
    Last edited by MudBug; 01-16-2022 at 11:15 AM.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Asked and answered. Using the What's New button and not paying attention.

MudBug, I was in the same predicament. Ryker or Spyder. In CA the Rykers would get squashed in the sea of SUV's in LA traffic so the Ryker was out. Plus the wife wanted to ride as well and they aren't comfortable for two up over long distances. I just saved for two years and sold off all my other toys and got my base F3.
    Last edited by Pirate; 01-16-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

This is a great original post and thread. I see it was removed to forum support and testing. Whoever looks on here? It's too bad it seems to be hidden. This is JMHO and not meant to be a slam against the moderators.
    Last edited by wyliec; 01-16-2022 at 01:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Over the years I have been a Spyderlover, I very seldom logged into model specific forums. I just click on "What' New". I find there is interesting information across the board regardless of which model is being discussed. I now understand how some could become frustrated by getting answers that seem to come out of left field and don't apply to their particular ride.

But I have also witnessed frustrations many times when questions are asked, and the OP does not identify which model is the subject of concern. I think getting good answers and advice starts with asking questions that contain good and complete information about the bike in question. There have been times when I have searched a member's profile trying to determine which bike is the subject of a particular question. Sometimes that doesn't even help. Just my opinion and observations..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Asked and answered. Using the What's New button and not paying attention.

MudBug, I was in the same predicament. Ryker or Spyder. In CA the Rykers would get squashed in the sea of SUV's in LA traffic so the Ryker was out. Plus the wife wanted to ride as well and they aren't comfortable for two up over long distances. I just saved for two years and sold off all my other toys and got my base F3.
    That's where we're different: you have patience
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    This is a great original post and thread. I see it was removed to forum support and testing. Whoever looks on here? It's too bad it seems to be hidden. This is JMHO and not meant to be a slam against the moderators.
    Maybe I offended somebody, but I'm puzzled as to why the thread was dumped here. I thought "Off Topic" was safe for anything but politics. I just expressed surprise that moderators would actually change content of posts. I could see them deleting abusive, spam, or profane ones, but whatever. I don't pay for this, and it's not my server. Their rules. FWIW, regarding the search capability, I was talking about the vBulletin software that powers this site, not criticizing anybody who configures or moderates this site.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Over the years I have been a Spyderlover, I very seldom logged into model specific forums. I just click on "What' New". I find there is interesting information across the board regardless of which model is being discussed. I now understand how some could become frustrated by getting answers that seem to come out of left field and don't apply to their particular ride.

But I have also witnessed frustrations many times when questions are asked, and the OP does not identify which model is the subject of concern. I think getting good answers and advice starts with asking questions that contain good and complete information about the bike in question. There have been times when I have searched a member's profile trying to determine which bike is the subject of a particular question. Sometimes that doesn't even help. Just my opinion and observations..... Jim
    I agree, it's good to be very clear with your question and provide details. I'm going to start using the "what's new" capability more. That's easier than looking for this thread in the Forum Support and Testing site
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
    Maybe I offended somebody, but I'm puzzled as to why the thread was dumped here. I thought "Off Topic" was safe for anything but politics. I just expressed surprise that moderators would actually change content of posts. I could see them deleting abusive, spam, or profane ones, but whatever. I don't pay for this, and it's not my server. Their rules. FWIW, regarding the search capability, I was talking about the vBulletin software that powers this site, not criticizing anybody who configures or moderates this site.
    Ahhhh… but you’ll still see the thread and all the responses if you use the “what’s new” option, MudBug, so it hasn’t really been hidden

Pete.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Ahhhh… but you’ll still see the thread and all the responses if you use the “what’s new” option, MudBug, so it hasn’t really been hidden

Pete.
    You're right, Pete. What a fantastic thread this is!
    -2021 Ryker 900

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Signature

Big 'Thanks' to all who have done the Signature thing for Forum posts.

I am hoping that more people will do the 'Signature'.
    Oh yeah, if you need help please ask.

Thank You, Little Blue.........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Well heck. I was going to talk about my RV in the 1330 forum. Just kidding. This happens on every forum I go on. I just read the posts that interest me.