Spyder Garage

Default Is there a list of F3 changes through the years?? What were they?

I looked around and did a google search but I couldnt find what i was looking for. Is there a resource for changes in the F3 over the years. I know there have only been incremental changes as the new ones are mostly the same as they were in 2015 but there still have been some changes. An example of the kind of info i am looking for is the last year for the manual transmission for the f3-t was 2017 and for the f3/f3s was 2020. What years did displays change etc.

I also know there is a site that has color options for each year. Not really looking for that info.

Spyder Garage

Not much has changed since the F3 came out. Color options mostly but they did add the trunk to the 2017 Limited. All other limited prior to 2017 did not have the trunk just saddle bags. I feel like there will be a big change in the F3 in the very near future. The display changed was in 2018. Not sure when they discontinued the manual trans though.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

by 2018, resetting the canbus by using the hazard lights to cure hyperflash went away. Not sure if this is true or not. Been asking for years for someone to confirm it's gone, but have not gotten a definitive response despite asking several times. Maybe I'll get a response this time.

Does this work on the 2018 and later models?? please confirm or deny.

Lamonters'video on this "fix"

My video on this fix
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

It did not work on my 2018.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Not much has changed since the F3 came out. Color options mostly but they did add the trunk to the 2017 Limited. All other limited prior to 2017 did not have the trunk just saddle bags. I feel like there will be a big change in the F3 in the very near future. The display changed was in 2018. Not sure when they discontinued the manual trans though.
    x 2. This pretty much covers what I can think of. We currently have a 2019 and a 2020 F3L. One is dark, the other chrome. Both orange flavored.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Not a lot of info here and maybe thats because there hasnt been many changes like others have said.

I believe the years for the manual transmission option in the OP are correct and someone answered about the dash change in 2018. I also know that all models in 2015 had 115 HP but in 2016 they detuned the base f3 and it only has 105 hp… is that still the case?

What about this question. For a few years the f3-S came with upgraded Fox podium shocks… It now comes with “upgraded KYB shocks” Does anyone know what year that change was made? Im assuming the fox shocks were/are better but that is just my assumption and I have no evidence.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    Not a lot of info here and maybe thats because there hasnt been many changes like others have said.

I believe the years for the manual transmission option in the OP are correct and someone answered about the dash change in 2018. I also know that all models in 2015 had 115 HP but in 2016 they detuned the base f3 and it only has 105 hp… is that still the case?

What about this question. For a few years the f3-S came with upgraded Fox podium shocks… It now comes with “upgraded KYB shocks” Does anyone know what year that change was made? Im assuming the fox shocks were/are better but that is just my assumption and I have no evidence.
    I believe the year that change was made is for the 2022 models.

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe they changed some of the controls in 2020 by adding additional audio controls etc on the tank and where there was a blanking plate on the Left hand handlebar switch they added a volume control switch
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I believe the years for the manual transmission option in the OP are correct and someone answered about the dash change in 2018. I also know that all models in 2015 had 115 HP but in 2016 they detuned the base f3 and it only has 105 hp
    The detuned base F3 did not take place until either 2018 or 2019. That is also the year that they F3T went with the smaller sprocket on the rear. 2016 F3 Limited had not trunk and the large sprocket. In 2017 the large rear sprocket was only available on the F3, F3S, and F3T. In 2018 (I believe), the larger sprocket was only available on the F3S, and it is still that way today. In 2019 the turn signals were taken off the mirrors and are only on the front fenders. This is true for all F3 Series models and also for the 2020 and up RT versions.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The detuned base F3 did not take place until either 2018 or 2019. That is also the year that they F3T went with the smaller sprocket on the rear. 2016 F3 Limited had not trunk and the large sprocket. In 2017 the large rear sprocket was only available on the F3, F3S, and F3T. In 2018 (I believe), the larger sprocket was only available on the F3S, and it is still that way today. In 2019 the turn signals were taken off the mirrors and are only on the front fenders. This is true for all F3 Series models and also for the 2020 and up RT versions.
    This is all very helpful. The reason I am interested in all of this is because I am thinking of selling my Ryker and buying a Spyder F3… something that is a little more comfortable for longer trips, but I also want it to have a decent amount of power. I think getting a Spyder F3-S 2018-2020 with a manual transmission and then adding saddle bags is probably the way to go. I get a more comfortable ride, a manual tranny, the newer/better dashboard, bigger saddle bags than the F3-T, but maintain the ability to rip when I want to, and I get Sport Mode.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2023 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Caps & ,'s ;-)

Spyder Garage

I've noticed Can-Am has changed the front fender/Grill over the years for the Spyder F3-s, the 2015 models have a extended bumper above the grill, but I've noticed my 2019 Spyder F3-s has an extended bumper below the grill instead of above the grill.

The 2022 Can-Am Spyder F3-S has gotten a new volume button even though the F3-S doesn't have speakers.

Spyder Garage

This is all very helpful. The reason I am interested in all of this is because I am thinking of selling my Ryker and buying a Spyder F3… something that is a little more comfortable for longer trips, but I also want it to have a decent amount of power. I think getting a Spyder F3-S 2018-2020 with a manual transmission and then adding saddle bags is probably the way to go. I get a more comfortable ride, a manual tranny, the newer/better dashboard, bigger saddle bags than the F3-T, but maintain the ability to rip when I want to, and I get Sport Mode.
    Don't think you will find a manual trans from 2018-2020
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2023 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

2019 saw a change to the wiring and turn signal links in the F3 as well. 2019+ F3's do not have the same wiring harnesses and plug locations under the body panels as their predecessors.. this can make it tricky if you're looking to add additional marker lights to the bike (TricLED sells a kit that splits the turn signal lights at the fender and brings an extension port back into the main body of the bike)

https://tricledusa.com/collections/s...er-2019-models is the part - it's why the Slingmods side lights and some of the other kits out there specify they only work in 2018 and lower F3's - wiring is a bit tricky without that new adapter.
    2021 Spyder F3-T - Pearl White
    2021 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Don't think you will find a manual trans from 2018-2020
    I have a 2019 F3-S with manual transmission and aftermarket saddle bags on my watch list. It's at a dealer about 4 hours away. It would be exactly what I want but I am not in a position to buy just yet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2023 at 10:08 PM. Reason: 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

I am about to pull the trigger on a '17 Base F3 SM6

So, if I am reading all of this correctly, it has 115hp and the 89-tooth sprocket. The switch to the 79-tooth sprocket for all except the ‘S’ model didn’t take place until the 2018 model year and the detuning of the Base model also didn't take place until the 2018 model year… can anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-26-2023 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Caps ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Question,
    What year did they introduce the F3 Special Series?

Also what was the first color in the F3 Special Series?

My current spyder is a 2023 F3 LTD Special Series.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Question,

Deanna
    I think the first year and color of the f3s Ss was the 2017 yellow and black Daytona.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't see this mentioned .... If my memory is correct I believe the Early F-3 had DEFECTIVE REAR FRAMES .... and BRP provided braces to be attached to correct this issue. .... later years had the brace welded onto the frames at the factory before delivery ...... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I didn't see this mentioned .... If my memory is correct I believe the Early F-3 had DEFECTIVE REAR FRAMES .... and BRP provided braces to be attached to correct this issue. .... later years had the brace welded onto the frames at the factory before delivery ...... JMHO ... Mike
    I remember something about this but my husband and I both have 2015's (me the F3S and him the base model). Neither of ours was affected by the rear frame issue and my memory isn't good enough to remember the fine details.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

At some point the top case for the F3 Limited went to the LinQ system. I found this out when trying to follow videos for removal of the rear trunk which reference a couple of bolts to be removed. My 2023 uses the LinQ knob for easier removal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am about to pull the trigger on a '17 Base F3 SM6

So, if I am reading all of this correctly, it has 115hp and the 89-tooth sprocket. The switch to the 79-tooth sprocket for all except the ‘S’ model didn’t take place until the 2018 model year and the detuning of the Base model also didn't take place until the 2018 model year… can anyone confirm this?
    Visit https://www.canamseadooskidooparts.c...ear-all-models

Click on + symbol for the two Ref # 200>200c descriptions. It's likely you're looking at a 79T model.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    by 2018, resetting the canbus by using the hazard lights to cure hyperflash went away. Not sure if this is true or not. Been asking for years for someone to confirm it's gone, but have not gotten a definitive response despite asking several times. Maybe I'll get a response this time.

Does this work on the 2018 and later models?? please confirm or deny.

Lamonters'video on this "fix"

My video on this fix
    Doesn't work on the 2020 base F3, I installed some LED brake lights that were not supposed to hyperflash but they did anyway. Tried the reset listed above with no result.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    Question,

Deanna
    The first year for the special series was 2016. It was a flat and gloss black combination. This was on the F3S and the F3 Limited. I have a 2016 F3 Limited Special series.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white