Spyder Garage

Default New to 2018 RT Ltd - Park Brake, Battery Tender, & VIN Questions??

Hello everyone!
    I'm new to this site and little overwhelmed on how to navigate my way around so please bear with me.
    Just purchased this gorgeous pearl white bike with only about 4000+ miles on it. Still trying to get familiar with the bike as this is my first Can-Am purchase. So off I went excitedly to AAA to register vehicle and have it officially under my name. Since the bike was previously registered in another state, we could not complete the transaction as they had to inspect the VIN and the engine number which I had no way of knowing where it was nor where to find it. So I was given a 30-day temporary permit. That was the first issue.
    Then as I was leaving I started the bike but the parking brake wouldn't release so i was stuck and couldn't figure out what to do. That was the second issue and a bit frustrated at this point. After doing some research, calling some m/c shops in the area, trying to make sense of the manual, etc.. i was finally able to get assistance from a really nice service tech from a dealership in San Diego. He gave me instructions on how to release the parking cable so I could ride back home. What I thought was a simple errand to start my day ended up quite not simple for a Can Am neophyte. Anyway,........

Question 1 - Not sure what caused my PB to get stuck, was my battery possibly on low voltage such that some sensor might have tripped or not function correctly?
    Queston 2 - Thinking of getting a battery tender to make sure battery is well maintained and charged. The previous owner had it mostly parked unused. Should I get a Deltran battery tender junior plus with 1.25 amp or would the regular Deltran battery tender junior suffice?
    Question 3 - How do I handle the part where I have to show a DMV person or a peace officer to inspect and verify the VIN and engine number? Do I try to remove the panels to see where the engine number is located then ride it bare to either DMV or local police office for inspection? I found where the VIN number is located so not an issue there.

Sorry for my short novel but would really appreciate your input/suggestions.

Thanks.
    Danny
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-14-2022 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

I just registered my new out of state RTL in CA. I used a DMV agent who was very helpful. She got down on her knees with a phone camera to get a pic of the VIN number. I have heard stories of DMV staff refusing to look for a VIN that isn’t plainly visible.

We never did find the engine number. Apparently on the 2021 RTL is requires some plastic removal. She was okay with certifying the bike with the engine number taken from the original title

My experience probably isn’t much help to you but good luck

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DRFab View Post
    Hello everyone!
    I'm new to this site and little overwhelmed on how to navigate my way around so please bear with me.
    Just purchased this gorgeous pearl white bike with only about 4000+ miles on it. Still trying to get familiar with the bike as this is my first Can-Am purchase. So off I went excitedly to AAA to register vehicle and have it officially under my name. Since the bike was previously registered in another state, we could not complete the transaction as they had to inspect the VIN and the engine number which I had no way of knowing where it was nor where to find it. So I was given a 30-day temporary permit. That was the first issue.
    Then as I was leaving I started the bike but the parking brake wouldn't release so i was stuck and couldn't figure out what to do. That was the second issue and a bit frustrated at this point. After doing some research, calling some m/c shops in the area, trying to make sense of the manual, etc.. i was finally able to get assistance from a really nice service tech from a dealership in San Diego. He gave me instructions on how to release the parking cable so I could ride back home. What I thought was a simple errand to start my day ended up quite not simple for a Can Am neophyte. Anyway,........

Question 1 - Not sure what caused my PB to get stuck, was my battery possibly on low voltage such that some sensor might have tripped or not function correctly?
    Queston 2 - Thinking of getting a battery tender to make sure battery is well maintained and charged. The previous owner had it mostly parked unused. Should I get a Deltran battery tender junior plus with 1.25 amp or would the regular Deltran battery tender junior suffice?
    Question 3 - How do I handle the part where I have to show a DMV person or a peace officer to inspect and verify the VIN and engine number? Do I try to remove the panels to see where the engine number is located then ride it bare to either DMV or local police office for inspection? I found where the VIN number is located so not an issue there.

Sorry for my short novel but would really appreciate your input/suggestions.

Thanks.
    Danny
    I have the same year bike, in the same color.

Good choice !!

To answer:

(1) I learned the trick is to not put too much weight on the brake pedal prior to pushing the parking brake button and engaging it. I believe that if you really stomp on the pedal and pushing the button, the parking brake motor has a very difficult time releasing the brake when you try to disengage it.

(2) I have the regular Battery Tender Junior. It works really well, and honestly, I don't see why you would want to spend more money on the Plus model.

(3) Taking a pic of the engine number is probably the easiest way to show an officer. Iirc, I didn't have to take any panels off, but I *could* be wrong. Refer to your owner's manual (you DID get the owner's manual, right ??) for the right answer.

Anyway, good luck and have fun both riding and modding your Spyder !!!!

(Lemme know what mods you're thinking of doing, and I'll do my best in answering questions you may have, including any installation).
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Peacekeeper6 is correct -- light foot on brake when disengaging/engaging the parking brake.

The Spyder has many electronic modules and motors (parking brake is one, steering is another) that really really need a fresh battery with low internal resistance. Your battery is four years old with bad maintenance. Eliminate one worry and treat your new Spyder to a new battery!

Did you get an owner's manual? Read it before your next ride. Read it again before the ride after that. There are many subtleties in this rather sophisticated machine. Best you know each other.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKelly View Post
    I just registered my new out of state RTL in CA. I used a DMV agent who was very helpful. She got down on her knees with a phone camera to get a pic of the VIN number. I have heard stories of DMV staff refusing to look for a VIN that isn’t plainly visible.

We never did find the engine number. Apparently on the 2021 RTL is requires some plastic removal. She was okay with certifying the bike with the engine number taken from the original title

My experience probably isn’t much help to you but good luck
    Maybe I should go to DMV instead and try my luck. The AAA rep was pretty adamant on seeing the engine # otherwise would only give me the temporary tags. Then she gave me a business card of some local "vehicle inspector". Called that number but told me they don't inspect m/cs. I'll try DMV next but first will need to deal with my parking brake issue. Thanks for your input.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Much Appreciated

Yes sir, totally agree.
    Will get familiar with the a.)manual and b.) new batteries.
    Much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much. I'm taking all these good suggestions and glad to be part of this awesome community.
    Ride safe.
    Peace

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are many that have had to have the PB motor replaced under warranty. I did on my 2018. Low battery power can also be a culprit. If the owners manual isn't in the back of the rear trunk then you can get a copy here. https://operatorsguides.brp.com
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Which Yuasa battery/model number should I purchase? Looking at Amazon but willing to get site suggestions on where to purchase.
    Thanks again.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yuasa Battery

Which Yuasa battery/model number should I purchase? Looking at Amazon but willing to get site suggestions on where to purchase.
    Thanks again.
    Yuasa YUAM7250H, purchase from a local store or Amazon.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Yuasa YUAM7250H, purchase from a local store or Amazon.
    Just make sure that you properly charge whatever battery you get BEFORE you install it!!

Most vehicle batteries are supplied with a nominal charge, if that; and they'll need a good full charge before you install them or they'll either fail prematurely &/or take ages/lotsa hours of highway speed ryding before they are even close to fully charged by the onboard charge system!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

To find the VIN stamped on the frame turn the bars full left then on hands and knees look at the part of the frame where the red arrow is in the first picture. It is just above the front lower A-arm mounting point. The second picture is what it looks like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As Peter said a proper charge is key to battery life and performance. With a good charger (4 amp is about right for the Spyder battery) charge at least overnight with 24 hours being better. Some lessons-learned:

1. The battery is heavy and the workspace is cramped.
    2. The battery cables are 6AWG and don't have a lot of strands which makes them stiff. And did I mention the workspace is cramped.
    3. The battery holddown plate almost falls out for removal and if it only takes you an hour to put it back in place ... well I'm envious.
    4. A small LED flashlight is your friend.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should go to DMV instead and try my luck. The AAA rep was pretty adamant on seeing the engine # otherwise would only give me the temporary tags. Then she gave me a business card of some local "vehicle inspector". Called that number but told me they don't inspect m/cs. I'll try DMV next but first will need to deal with my parking brake issue. Thanks for your input.
    I had to get the engine number off a friend's 2016 as he was back in a Northern state trying to title and register it. Remove the left hand pull off tupper war panel and put my phone/camera around the back corner of the engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snoking1127; 01-17-2022 at 09:21 AM.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    To find the VIN stamped on the frame turn the bars full left then on hands and knees look at the part of the frame where the red arrow is in the first picture. It is just above the front lower A-arm mounting point. The second picture is what it looks like.
    Isn't the VIN still on a label on the left swingarm? Of course if the DMV insists on seeing a stamped VIN then that won't do.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

My PB issue on my 18 was adjustment.Unless you are on a hill there should be no need to put any pressure on pedal to engage or disengage.Have had it off and on many times without mounting the bike just to move it in garage.A 12mm wrench did become a permanent rider!