Spyder Garage

Default Anyone used a Sena SR-10 with FRS radio? Reception faint?!?

Has anyone used a Sena SR-10 with FRS radio? Searched here and only found the Sena used with CB. I would prefer to go that way but my SCRC chapter adopted FRS years ago so that's what I need to use. I bought the SR-10 with cable for a Midland FRS and have been unable to get it to work properly. Tried it with two Sena communicator models in addition to a Cardo Freecom 2 with the same result each time. Transmission works fine but reception from remote radio is very faint, at best, with maximum volume on all units. Both the SR-10 and cable have been replaced with the same results.

The unit was replaced by Sena because of Motorcycle Dave's efforts. Thanks again, Dave!

Rick
    2016 RTL

Spyder Garage

I use the sena sr10 with my sena outrush helmet and a midland handheld GXT (X-traTalk) UHF. Works good in receiving and sending. I have another unit in my truck to communicate with whoever is driving it.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster48 View Post
    Has anyone used a Sena SR-10 with FRS radio? Searched here and only found the Sena used with CB. I would prefer to go that way but my SCRC chapter adopted FRS years ago so that's what I need to use. I bought the SR-10 with cable for a Midland FRS and have been unable to get it to work properly. Tried it with two Sena communicator models in addition to a Cardo Freecom 2 with the same result each time. Transmission works fine but reception from remote radio is very faint, at best, with maximum volume on all units. Both the SR-10 and cable have been replaced with the same results.

The unit was replaced by Sena because of Motorcycle Dave's efforts. Thanks again, Dave!

Rick
    2016 RTL
    Hi Rick, Sorry to hear you are still having trouble with it. did the SENA Tech. give any help ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Rick, Sorry to hear you are still having trouble with it. did the SENA Tech. give any help ?
    I called him a second time about a week after he and I talked and I emailed all the significant info to him. Talked to him a week later and he said that he looked at it but no answer yet and he would get back to me in 24 hours. Now another 2 weeks, 3 voice mails and an email to him later - still silence.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster48 View Post
    I bought the SR-10 with cable for a Midland FRS and have been unable to get it to work properly. Tried it with two Sena communicator models in addition to a Cardo Freecom 2 with the same result each time. Transmission works fine but reception from remote radio is very faint, at best, with maximum volume on all units. Both the SR-10 and cable have been replaced with the same results.
    Are you absolutely sure the plug on the cable you got with the SR10 is the correct size and configuration for your radio? Have you tried the radio with any other adapter, like with a speaker/microphone headset? Maybe there is a defect in the radio. Or, the plug is not making proper contact with the jack in the radio.

What FRS radio do you have?
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-16-2022 at 07:27 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Are you absolutely sure the plug on the cable you got with the SR10 is the correct size and configuration for your radio? Have you tried the radio with any other adapter, like with a speaker/microphone headset? Maybe there is a defect in the radio. Or, the plug is not making proper contact with the jack in the radio.

What FRS radio do you have?
    I have a pair of X-TALKER T71VP3 radios. Have tried all combinations with both radios and all three types of communicator. The SR10 and cable were both replaced by Sena with the same results. The cable is the one they specify and manufacture for Midland radios. Doesn't matter which radio is attached to the Sena unit, reception is barely detectable but transmission is perfect.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I see those are Midland radios and the cable plug-in looks like it's the same as for the CB radio. I presume you've done the following but I'll ask anyway. I just reviewed the owners manual for your radios.

Have you done a reset to factory defaults?
    Do you have privacy turned off?
    Is monitor mode turned off?
    Do you have good volume when you use the two radios to communicate directly w/o using the SR-10?

Do you know of anyone with a Midland CB radio that you can give the SR-10 a try with?

I trust you have verified the Bluetooth settings between your helmet headset and the SR-10 are set correctly.
    Do you or a friend have another BT helmet headset you can use to test the SR-10?

These are all questions I would be verifying if I were in your position.

If none of these questions ferret out an issue you truly have a mystery on your hands!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I see those are Midland radios and the cable plug-in looks like it's the same as for the CB radio. I presume you've done the following but I'll ask anyway. I just reviewed the owners manual for your radios.

Have you done a reset to factory defaults? Yes, and all available updates on each piece
    Do you have privacy turned off? Yes
    Is monitor mode turned off?Yes
    Do you have good volume when you use the two radios to communicate directly w/o using the SR-10?Excellent

Do you know of anyone with a Midland CB radio that you can give the SR-10 a try with? Unfortunately, no

I trust you have verified the Bluetooth settings between your helmet headset and the SR-10 are set correctly. Yes
    Do you or a friend have another BT helmet headset you can use to test the SR-10?The two Sena units I tried were a Cavalry helmet and a 6-month old 10S

These are all questions I would be verifying if I were in your position.

If none of these questions ferret out an issue you truly have a mystery on your hands!
    Thanks for all your suggestions. It is a mystery and very frustrating.

Spyder Garage

You have probably tried this, but just in case. The Sena comm units volume control has different settings depending on the feed. Have you adjusted the volume control on the headset to max while someone else is transmitting and it has to be while you are receiving the transmission?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange