Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Time for a new rear kenda

I have about 7k miles on this rear kenda, time to replace?

I have been having the itch for a while to replace the kendas with the general altimax tires.

But being frugal I dont want to replace them if it is not time yet although it will be time for the rear soon enough.

Both front tires were replaced at 3k due to damage on the front end when I had a accident last June so those only have about 4k on them.

IMG_20220113_175536484a.jpg

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

IMHO The time to replace a Kenda is ASAP regardless of its mileage and wear..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I am frugal to an extreme, yet I replaced the fronts at 4K miles with car tires because I could tell the Kendas were inhibiting my riding style. I now have 7K miles and there is still a lot of tread on the rear. It's getting replaced very soon. Life is too short to ride o crappy tires.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post

I have been having the itch for a while to replace the kendas with the general altimax tires.

But being frugal I dont want to replace them if it is not time yet although it will be time for the rear soon enough.

Both front tires were replaced at 3k due to damage on the front end when I had a accident last June so those only have about 4k on them.

Looking at the picture it is 'Tire Replacement Time'.
    That being said I would change to anything over the OEM TIRE. Check out the General Altimax RT 43 for your next rear tire. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Frugal can work, run it to the tires cords.

Just realize, as frugal as that can be, loosing control and trashing your machine or getting killed is never a bargain in regards to a $100 tire.

Spyder Garage

Best upgrade ever was ditching the original kenda and putting on some real tires. I'm running vredestein quatrac which have been awesome and helped a lot ... (along with the addition of Baja Ron's stouter sway bar and aluminum heim joints). Now my old RS rides like it is on rails and has turned into a trusted friend over many miles each season.

Spyder Garage

I have the swaybar, installed it a couple of months ago and love it. I can only imagine how it will be with a good set of tires. Are you running the quatrac on the rear and if so what size are you using?

If I do find somebody to mount and balance the rear. I am just getting the fronts done as well.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Frugal can work, run it to the tires cords.

Just realize, as frugal as that can be, loosing control and trashing your machine or getting killed is never a bargain in regards to a $100 tire.
    Yes indeedy, and I already know that feeling when I got ran off the road by a cage back in june a couple of months after I first started riding 3 wheels.

I was thrown over the handlebars and into a curb at 25-30 MPH. left me with bruised ribs and sternum. And a bruise that went from my right shoulder down to my right knee that was there for a couple of months.

I am still sporting a small goose egg on my hip from the bruising there and my accident happened back in the first week of June. It also cracked the back of my helmet that my head hit so hard.

Insurance covered a $10K reframe.

And thus my question about this tire as it looks that I am at my tread bars.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-14-2022 at 10:29 AM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Not necessarily recommended. But this is what my 2nd tire looked like. My OEM Kenda (First & Last) actually looked a little worse than this one. Still could not quite see the air though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I picked up a rear Kanine last fall when tire shortages were being discussed. My dealer will only install OEMs. What little info I can find says the Kanine is big improvement over the original. I didn't want to mess with a different size or self install. Have quatracs and Elka shocks on front. Even the original Kenda performed ok this summer on cross country trip. Original getting thin a 6700 miles.

Spyder Garage

Yes, in size 205 60 15 ... really good in the rain and sure footed. Check with Mike on here and Ron, they are the tire gurus that are up to date with the latest and best. Mike made me aware of the Vredestein tires and he was on the mark with the improvement they added. Good luck getting new feet on your spyder. Mine is shivering in the garage, hibernating until spring returns. Jealous of all you guys that are south and still enjoying the roads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Yes, in size 205 60 15 ... really good in the rain and sure footed. Check with Mike on here and Ron, they are the tire gurus that are up to date with the latest and best. Mike made me aware of the Vredestein tires and he was on the mark with the improvement they added. Good luck getting new feet on your spyder. Mine is shivering in the garage, hibernating until spring returns. Jealous of all you guys that are south and still enjoying the roads.
    I was riding up until last week then they threw salt down all over the place and it never snowed. I am using the time to get my wife onboard for the ride. I ordered oem passenger floorboards from can am and some risers from Pierre that I have assembled, I also have a corbin dual touring saddle on order and once that comes in I will install it all for springtime when she is ready to ride with me so I was thinking about doing the tires as well.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I replaced the OEM Kenda tire @ 5,824 miles, in 2014 or 2015.

I changed the OEM rear tire to a General Altimax RT43 tire. I have not had any issues the General Altimax RT 43 tire. Also, I am on my 2nd General Altimax RT 43 tire. ( off topic I also have the General Altimax tire on my car, which is a 2018 Chevy Equinox AWD).

Replace the OEM tire as soon as you can.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    IMHO The time to replace a Kenda is ASAP regardless of its mileage and wear..... Jim
    I realize I’m not as experienced in riding a Spyder as most of you on this forum, but I don’t understand the problems cited with kenda tires. I currently have about 12,000 miles on mine with no problem, except the rear could probably be replaced mid summer. I find the handling great the acceleration top-notch and the overall riding experience to be quite enjoyable. Most of my Harley rear tires would only last about 8 to 9000 miles. But I guess I have to admit that I ride anything like I stole it. Am I missing something here?

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you are a lucky one... Kendas among the people on the board have been very inconsistent in quality - out of roundness, material - someone must have known what they were doing the day your rear tire was made You'll have to send a thank you card to China.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Send a note to China? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Sounds like you are a lucky one... Kendas among the people on the board have been very inconsistent in quality - out of roundness, material - someone must have known what they were doing the day your rear tire was made You'll have to send a thank you card to China.
    China doesn't care about quality of anything. China has been somewhat difficult for me to endure their promises and goods. Please don't blame me for China's junk.

America needs to build and buy America. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I have tried searching it out but can't seem to find it but are some people running the 215 60 15 on the back?

I thought I had read in other threads about using this tire size in the back on a standard f3 not sure if it was a quatrac.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

I have tried searching it out but can't seem to find it but are some people running the 215 60 15 on the back?

I thought I had read in other threads about using this tire size in the back on a standard f3 not sure if it was a quatrac.
    Are you talking about a specific tire in 215/60R15, or the size 215/60R15 in general? If the later, yes, lots of people running 215/60R15's. My Cooper 215/60R15 brings the speedo dead nutz on

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I put one of these on about a 1000 miles ago and am satisfied with it. My riding style is strictly "old guy" so it may not suit everyone. One of few made that is exact size of OEM.
    https://www.amazon.com/Kumho-Ecsta-P...1M24Z5VO&psc=1
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Are you talking about a specific tire in 215/60R15, or the size 215/60R15 in general? If the later, yes, lots of people running 215/60R15's. My Cooper 215/60R15 brings the speedo dead nutz on
    That is what I may have been reading about that time is about the speedo difference with the different size tires. I would like to stay with quatrac all the way around if possible.

Update : just went to the site and answered my own question. No quatracs available in 215 for 15 inch tire.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 01-19-2022 at 05:09 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

2020 F3 , Black