Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Shop time for no Reverse - The long wait is almost over!

Well today I take my 2018 RT Limited into the shop to resolve the problem with it not shifting into reverse, not shifting into neutral and not being able to manually down shift. Auto down shifts works fine. I hope that extended warrant I paid good money for pays dividends.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-06-2022 at 04:03 PM. Reason: shifts ;-)
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Please keep us posted up to date. If you bought BEST Warranty, you should be good to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Issues

Someone else had some similar transmission issues. They have not reported back to Spyder Forum on what the Dealer found out. Hopefully this will not be a costly fix.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Well today I take my 2018 RT Limited into the shop to resolve the problem with it not shifting into reverse, not shifting into neutral and not being able to manually down shift. Auto down ****s works fine. I hope that extended warrant I paid good money for pays dividends.
    Judging from the ****s, it appears I misspelled shifts.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

If you have the B.E.S.T. warranty your cost should be 50 bucks. I had to use mine 3 different times (unfortunately) and the bike was in the shop waiting for parts and the mechanics time schedule for more than a month each time. I was glad to have the coverage but not very happy about not having a bike to ride. I did not have a dealer in my area that I could get along with. They insisted on having the bike at their shop in order to schedule the mechanics time, even though it was usually 2-3 weeks away. Then they would diagnose the problem and order parts, another week or two. After the parts came in they would reschedule the mechanics time (another 2-3 weeks) to put it back together. They only had one Spyder certified mechanic and nothing got done if he was at school or on vacation. I loved my Spyder when I was riding it. I hated my Spyder when it was broken. Hopefully you have a better service experience than I did. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I guess I am lucky. There are two shops here that work on Spyers and are better then the dealer and a LOT less expensive. You might want to check in the area to see if there are any shops that do Spyder work.

Spyder Garage

My guess is that the left handgrip module has failed...
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Someone else had some similar transmission issues. They have not reported back to Spyder Forum on what the Dealer found out. Hopefully this will not be a costly fix.
    Yea, I remember that one. I don't know if they ever got it resolved, but I'll report back here on what happens in my case.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    My guess is that the left handgrip module has failed...
    That's what I'm thinking too. Waiting to hear back from the dealer. I don't expect that until tomorrow at the earliest.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    If you have the B.E.S.T. warranty your cost should be 50 bucks. I had to use mine 3 different times (unfortunately) and the bike was in the shop waiting for parts and the mechanics time schedule for more than a month each time. I was glad to have the coverage but not very happy about not having a bike to ride. I did not have a dealer in my area that I could get along with. They insisted on having the bike at their shop in order to schedule the mechanics time, even though it was usually 2-3 weeks away. Then they would diagnose the problem and order parts, another week or two. After the parts came in they would reschedule the mechanics time (another 2-3 weeks) to put it back together. They only had one Spyder certified mechanic and nothing got done if he was at school or on vacation. I loved my Spyder when I was riding it. I hated my Spyder when it was broken. Hopefully you have a better service experience than I did. Good luck..... Jim
    Unfortunately my Spyder was already out of the Can Am original warranty so all that was available to me was the 2 year Zurich warranty through that dealership. I was going to take a pass on it, but changed my mind at the last minute. I think the deductible is still $50.00. I'm a little foggy on the diagnostic fee, not sure if that is included in the deal or not. Guess I'll find out eventually.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Well here is the good and bad news.

Bad news first. As some of you have correctly predicted, the problem was in the left hand control module which was bad. They are going to order a new one from BRP but it might take 8-10 business days just to ship. The Tech said it might could ship earlier, but he really can't say.

The good news. They checked with the warranty company and the issue is covered by my warranty. With my $50.00 deductible, the Tech told me my out of pocket, with taxes, would be about fifty four bucks and change. So I'm happy with that.

Now we play the waiting game. I hope it doesn't snow before I get in back, I don't own a trailer.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Default Reverse problem, Part 2 not good news

Darn it. I got a call from the dealership today. The Tech told me he got a shipping notice on the left hand control module, but it looked like it would not get here until sometime in Dec.

I asked him why it was going to take so long, and he told me it was probably connected with the global supply chain issues currently affecting everything else. He said mechanical parts were pretty much available, but electronics and sensors are coming out of Asia so they are in serious high demand. Think computer chips.

He told me I could come and pick up the bike and when the part arrived I could come back for the install. He did point out intermittent problems like mine never get better on their own. They either maintain the status quo or get worse. His other suggestion was to leave it with them and when the part arrived he would get back to me and see where to go from there.

My concern was if I picked up the bike, I could be out on a ride somewhere in the boonies when the problem got worse and perhaps the bike would not shift at all. In which case I would be in a worse situation then I am now. On the other hand, right now the bike was where it needed to be under the circumstances. The Tech assured me there would be no storage fee for them keeping it. So all things considered, I decided to take a gamble and leave it with them.

Hopefully there won’t be six feet of snow on the ground when it’s finally ready. I have no problem riding in the cold, you can dress for that. But riding in the cold and snow is, in my opinion, a recipe for disaster. So now we wait.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Good Luck with the wait. I hope its a short time.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Bugger. Here’s hoping the part arrives ahead of schedule, Greg

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post

Hopefully there won’t be six feet of snow on the ground when it’s finally ready. I have no problem riding in the cold, you can dress for that. But riding in the cold and snow is, in my opinion, a recipe for disaster. So now we wait.

Snow? In Spokane? Surly you jest?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Bugger. Here’s hoping the part arrives ahead of schedule, Greg

Pete
    Thanks Pete, that's what I'm hoping for too.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Snow? In Spokane? Surly you jest?
    I know, hard to believe huh?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Spyder Garage

Default BRP Are you kidding me? Still waiting for parts!

I’m starting to have second thoughts about my decision to leave my Sypder at the dealership while awaiting a part. Here’s a quick recap:

Problem: 2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited.
    Would not shift into reverse.
    Would not downshift manually.
    Would not shift into Neutral without first turning off engine.

Diagnosis: Faulty Left Hand Control Module. Will replace under warranty.

Took the bike to dealership on Oct 19, 2021. Was told it would be 8-10 days for part to arrive. On Oct 20th, dealership called back reporting part would not be in until mid December. Might arrive sooner. On Nov 26, 2021 called dealership for update. Informed expected delivery date of 12/10/2021. Might arrive sooner.

On 01/13/2022 called dealership. Was advised new expected arrival date from BRP would be sometime in June. Eight months to get a part from Can Am? Are you kidding me? I left it there because my concern was the problem might get worse where it would stop shifting altogether and leave me stranded some place. My Spyder is only like three years old. It’s not as if I’m trying to find a part for a 1903 Model A for crying out loud.

We’ve gotten a lot of snow so far this year, so it’s not been a major problem for me, since I couldn’t ride anyway. I don’t let cold interfere with my riding, but snow/ice is another story. I have been hoping to attend the rally in Deadwood in July. Waiting until June for a part is simply unacceptable.

I understand things are backed up due to this global supply chain fiasco, but surely somewhere in the country there has to be a left hand control module for a 2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited.

Rant Over.
    Last edited by gkamer; 01-13-2022 at 07:20 PM.
    Greg Kamer

USAF, 20 years, retired

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, that sucks. I guess it’s nice that the facility is communicating with you. I’d be afraid of damage from storing it there.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

What is the latest count of ships awaiting unloading in LA and Long Beach? The part is probably somewhere in that fleet.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hopefully they have it inside, and if they do what a better place to have it in the winter time!! They can do the spring maintenance for you!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I think you meant 2021, not 2020. But this is one big deal killer. BRP either needs to provide the part, or offer something that does work in the interim. Pay to Park is not a good sales pitch.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Can the switch be changed out of the module? Maybe find a replacement if it's just a bad switch.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you researched cheapcycle for the part? The out of pocket may or may not be worth the wait depending on how fast the snow/ice melts. I feel for you Greg, I really do.

Spyder Garage

Not much I can say. The parts and service area sucks at the moment. Please keep us updated.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red