Spyder Garage

Default My 2010 RTS just went up in a ball of flames

Sad day for sure. My 2010 RTS with 105,000 kms on it just burned to a crisp. I'm okay thankfully there was construction and traffic was slow. Anyone else on here ever have this happen to them? Short clip on youtube before I had to call 911.

https://youtu.be/1GHWYAfoG9E

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GLAD YOU'RE OK...

If I remember correctly, I think BRP took Lamonsters factory loaner Spyder back for some type of issues...Not sure if it was fire related or not...

There was also a BRP Demo Spyder that burned up several years ago on a demo ride...There was a youtube video floating around somewhere...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-02-2022 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Caps

Spyder Garage

Did you still have your Evap canister installed? Have you been smelling gasoline fumes when you stop or park?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SpyderAnne had one burn up too.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Did you still have your Evap canister installed? Have you been smelling gasoline fumes when you stop or park?
    I'm not sure what that is so I'm going to assume it was still installed. I only smelled gas this one time.

Does Can-Am do anything for people that this happens too?

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear this.

We're in Dartmouth and my wife has a 2010 RTS as well. It always had a fuel smell and got very very hot underneath as well. I ended up doing the canister-ectomy and rerouting the fuel vent line. No more fuel smell. I also wrapped my exhaust and that made a world of difference.

I hope you had some sort of insurance on it so it wasn't a total financial loss too.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blastside View Post
    I'm not sure what that is so I'm going to assume it was still installed. I only smelled gas this one time.

Does Can-Am do anything for people that this happens too?
    There are a number of things that I have seen that can cause this. But #1 is the Evap canister. Usually you will get a smell of fuel when stopped or parking (especially in an enclosed environment like a garage) if this is the problem.

I have seen people put standard fuel filters, like the plastic see through type, on a Spyder. The Spyder fuel system is a high pressure unit. You have to use a fuel filter designed to take the pressure. Anything else will fail and spray fuel all over the engine compartment. It is easily ignighted by the ignition system and up in flames you go.

I have seen a few with very badly cracked fuel lines. And a few with leaking fuel line clamps. If one of these fail you can easily get the same results.

These cases are rare and almost always preventable with a bit of maintenance. The fuel lines are just under the Tupperware on the right side of the machine. And for the 2008-2012 Spyders, the evap canister is on the floor of the frame on the right side as well. The canister is easily and cheaply removed (Canister-ectomy) and I highly recommend it.

I am very sorry your Spyder went up in flames like that. But very glad you are OK.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-02-2022 at 03:20 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

All I can say is WOW and glad you got off in time. This could have easily ended tragically.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Wow, sorry that happed to you. I still ride my 2010 RT, it would suck to have that happen to a bike that had that much history. Good luck and I hope you find another one.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Concur with BajaRon on fuel line inspection. All of mine except the one to the injection rail were showing cord through the cracks. And then there's the plastic/nylon Y-fitting sending filtered fuel back to the fuel tank pressure regulator. I'll change it to brass at 100K miles.

The next time this happens to you hit the Red kill switch so the fuel pump stops running.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Wow bro that's terrible. Am glad you are ok. It's possible your insurance may cover it.
    Retired Army
    2016 Chevy Silverado
    2016 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 RT Limited , stock White

Spyder Garage

Glad you're okay too. Unfortunately, it was/is a not unheard-of problem with the early models. They had very poor heat management. The above advice is sound for any early model owner. I would also add, removing some of the splash guards underneath to promote air flow and cool the engine compartment. (Trapped heat is part of the problem.)

Unfortunately, again, it's too late for you unless you pick up another early edition.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

You weren't kidding. That sucker burnt up! It's a good thing no one was injured.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I'm glad that you are not injured and feel bad that you lost your ride. But I have to ask why did you call 911 after filming the blaze?

Spyder Garage

I bought a new spyder back in when they first came out 2008 or 9. It always smelled of gas and ran so hot . I sold it 6 months later thinking it was going to go up in flames at any time.. So glad no one was injured and i hope your insurance is good to you
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    I'm glad that you are not injured and feel bad that you lost your ride. But I have to ask why did you call 911 after filming the blaze?
    To put out the potential forest fire? (check out the fire spreading to the grass down hill from the road....)
    2020 F3L; gone but not forgotten are all the good miles!