Spyder Garage

Default 2020+ RT Brake Pedal for Tall riders

I have posted this as there may be a few tall riders (6’6”+) finding this issue……

A few of you may have seen my issue where a 38” inseam and size 15 EEEEW boots means I can’t get the ankle angle required to keep my heel on the board to softly cover the brake pedal when approaching intersections or on long winding roads. Full on braking is fine as my heel can leave the board, but soft braking is very, very hard when your heel is off the board…..try it sometime

Well, I have finally found MY solution. Removing the rubber brake pad effectively drops the brake pedal down around 1.5cm, meaning I can keep the heel of my boot on the board and still cover the brake with the ball of my foot. Only just, but it works. Sure, the pedal is only 2”x2” compared to the rubber pad at around3”x3”, but it works just fine, as my XXXXWide boot is right next to it. Plus, I just did several emergency stops where ABS kicked in, and the top of the pedal was still above the board. I will give it 3 coats of Ute bed paint for a bit more rubberised grip (even though there were no grip issues I could feel), and that should be it. I’m kicking myself for not thinking of this earlier.

Regards,
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Congratulations for solving the issue.
    As someone once said, Necessity is the mother of invention.
    Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Haze; 01-13-2022 at 12:01 AM.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I haven't encountered this problem on my 2019, which has a very different brake pedal. Pete and I do have similar sized feet.

I did learn that installing an oversize brake pedal was exactly the wrong way to go, is it left no room at all for my boot on the floorboard.

Great low-cost solution! I'll keep it in mind when I trade up.

Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Can you comfortably press the brake all the way down without the pad?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Can you comfortably press the brake all the way down without the pad?
    Yes……that was my big concern, Pirate……that the top of the brake pedal would want to go below the floorboard without the pad on top. The ABS kicks in hard with the pedal still above the board, and the pedal stops about 1/2” or so above the board at full pressure.

Pete

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red