Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Road!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wrong Road!

Ever find yourself on a wrong road!

Wrong road.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Wrong roads are not necessarily the worst thing that can happen to a rider.

I was on the right road leaving Spyderfest for home one year. Making excellent time, beautiful day, no traffic. I was having a great time enjoying the scenery and the ride! Then, after about 60 miles, the information on the overhead interstate sign caught my eye. (Something that I had not been paying any attention to). It was a bit disturbing, to say the least. It indicated that I was going West, not East! I'd gone over 60 miles in the exact wrong direction! With nearly 700 miles to go from my original departure point. Adding an additional 130 just to get back to 'Start' took a bit of the thrill out of my day.

It's all good though. Just another memorable 'Adventure'.

A bad day on a bike is better than most days in a car....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I bought a spyder in asphalt grey... I guess it's my own asphalt.

Spyder Garage

The wrong road just means it's not the one you expected to be on. Often the wrong road becomes the right road because it can lead to fascinating places not visited before. Then again, it could also to an abrupt and unpleasant end. That happened once long ago in Oregon while riding disused logging roads. At the top of the rise there should have been a bridge over a small river, but there wasn't. The bad part was that when I realized there wasn't it was too late and into the river we went. I can attest to the fact that a motorcycle tossed into a river instantly becomes a heavy static display. Still, it was a memorable adventure.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

I was on the right road leaving Spyderfest for home one year. Making excellent time, beautiful day, no traffic. I was having a great time enjoying the scenery and the ride! Then, after about 60 miles, the information on the overhead interstate sign caught my eye. (Something that I had not been paying any attention to). It was a bit disturbing, to say the least. It indicated that I was going West, not East! I'd gone over 60 miles in the exact wrong direction! With nearly 700 miles to go from my original departure point. Adding an additional 130 just to get back to 'Start' took a bit of the thrill out of my day.

Whoa, shades of Wrong Way Corrigan, one of our memorable early aviators.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

I can’t remember what state I was in but I think it was New Mexico. I had ridden about 75 miles on route 66 and then all the sudden there were barricades in the road saying it was closed. Bummer. I really didn’t want to ride back that many miles on my Harley Heritage Classic, but after looking around I saw a trail going from the roadblock up an embankment to the interstate. Not thinking my Harley was a off-roader, I gave her a chance. So off we went up the hill with very little problem and ended up on the side of the road of the interstate. We use the interstate until route 66 came up again.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-12-2022 at 05:58 PM. Reason: written = ridden ;-)

Spyder Garage

I don't consider a good ride unless I get lost.

Spyder Garage

The key to avoiding the "wrong road" is to start out thinking you have no place to go and all day to get there.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I'll have to remember this...
    2018 F3T , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

I'll have to remember the 'aspalt'...
    2018 F3T , Black on Black

Spyder Garage

Yup! Been there and done that. On our trip from Alaska to Arkansas, I got into some construction and took a wrong off ramp. Went 40 miles in the wrong direction before I figured it out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If it wasn't for breakdowns, bad weather and "wrong" roads we wouldn't have all those great stories to tell

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A number of (many) years ago my wife and I were homeward bound from a two week motorcycle touring vacation. I, obviously, was the driver and my wife was the navigator. This was pre cellphone and GPS days. I was simply watching traffic and doing my thing and the wife was listening to a Dolly Pardon interview on the radio. Well, the navigator missed the turn off we needed to make which put us about 50 miles away from where we needed to be. All in all, after the family disturbance, we enjoyed the places and the little towns we'd never seen before. So, in short, taking the wrong road doesn't always come out being a bad thing. Enjoy what life brings you and you'll rarely be disappointed.

Spyder Garage

Actually not too far & paved better than LoUiSiAna roads
    Wrong Rd
    Texas 75662
    https://goo.gl/maps/kbbjZB1hT424Mz82A

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

"It’s a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off too."

Spyder Garage

If "the ride is the destination" as they say, then any road will take you there.
    "Glide-on>>>>>>>>>
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don’t recall ever being on the wrong road. I’ve never been lost. Im just wandering and exploring. Many of the best roads, sites, sights and adventures have been experienced because I was simply wandering.
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    If "the ride is the destination" as they say, then any road will take you there.
    "Glide-on>>>>>>>>>
    I think the saying maybe Life (the ride) is a journey not a destination.
    Last edited by wyliec; 01-13-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Baja,

I thought you were going to mention your trip back home from Spyderfest in Canada all those years ago. I know whatever happened with your Spyder caused you some time. My mind is failing a little, I think. You were Lamont's sidekick. I think it may have been your radiator fluid.
    Last edited by wyliec; 01-13-2022 at 08:38 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I think the saying maybe Life (the ride) is a journey not a destination.
    Nope. What I was saying, is when you ride a motorcycle, you don't really need a destination because for those of us who truly appreciate riding a motorcycle, "the ride is the destination". I can ride for hours with no particular place to go and return with a big ole' grin on my face.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Baja,

I thought you were going to mention your trip back home from Spyderfest in Canada all those years ago. I know whatever happened with your Spyder caused you some time. My mind is failing a little, I think. You were Lamont's sidekick. I think it may have been your radiator fluid.
    You have a very good memory!

I had a few issues on that trip. The radiator coolant was the 1st one. I'd topped off my holding tank and didn't get the lid on correctly. It's a bugger to get to. Still, I should have been more careful. It boiled over. But easily fixed.

The real problem was my DPS. It kept taking control of the steering. And believe me. The Hulk (which admittedly, I am not) could not have steered that machine. It would just send me off in one direction or other with no remedy except to hit the kill switch. This is not good while running at 75-80 mph on the Interstate. To be frank. I am convinced that a few people paid with their lives over this same DPS issue. BRP made 2 or 3 design changes to the DPS over time. And, as far as I know. The DPS is a reliable component now.

I went all the way from just north of Tennessee to Canada and back on that DPS. The BRP engineers gave me a temporary fix and it, for the most part, worked. My DPS quit trying to kill me.

And yes, Lamont and I used to ride everywhere together. Time passes and things change. But those were the best of times. And there is always somewhere that you haven't been yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-13-2022 at 09:24 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wrong Road ! ! !

I remember the first time I tried to use my GPS. I thought the directions were clear. So off I go and the next several turns were good. Then GPS had me turn on a road, to make a long story short, that was not correct. After about 10 miles it just ran into a large lake. No harm I saw the lake in time. Finally, at the house I realized that I need an update to fix the problem. TIP: Update the GPS and then have some FUN. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

It's not that bad on something smaller than a 31 ft RV towing a jeep hitting a dead end. And yes I have twice. Once on my own the second to a GPS taking to the back of a warehouse-again in an RV towing a honda civic. Fun!!!!

Spyder Garage

Ha .. Yup. About 10 years ago, my wife/I were coming back to WI from Niagara Falls. For the return journey, we went thru Canada/MI UP. The GPS guided us to some very gnarly gravel roads, far off the beaten path. This was well after dark. My wife recalls that part of the trip her worst ever. But, we were in a cage

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

2019 headed towards the left coast in Arkansas avoiding slab where possible. Rode ~10 miles on a secondary road when we came to a flooded river. Couldn't see where the road came back out of the water so turned back the 10 miles and had to detour ~60 mi south to get on the slab to cross the Arkansas river.

2021 Went down a rabbit hole of muddy roads trying to get from PA to Oh555 as part of our Yellowstone loop. 2 hours of being lost in the deep woods with no help from GPS that insisted we go up some seriously sloppy 'paths'. Finally came across a local who gave us directions to the nearest paved road!

All part of the adventure as long as it works itself out!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White