Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Wilber shocks anyone ?

Hey all,
    I am contemplating upgrading my rear shock, and have my mind "pretty" much set on one with a hydraulic preload adjuster. Yeah .. Gonna likely spend an extra couple hundred+ $$ for a feature that I likely won't use much, but what the heck. Marcus at M2 thought he could make one, but he longer has the hydraulic component available to him. That basically leaves Race Tech and Wilber. Race Tech has been around awhile and I used a few Gold Valve kits in past bikes, but never a shock. Wilber is big in Europe, especially among the BMW crowd. I have zero experience with Wilber shocks. Wondering if anyone here could shed some light/experience? My local suspension company can work with me on the RT shock, and Martin can work with me on the Wilber. That said, Wilber USA will not service a Wilber Euro shock if need be under warranty. The Wilber thru Martin and the RT thru my local dealer are pretty much even. A Wilber thru a USA rep is about $125 more. Any experience? Thx

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Wilber is big in Europe ...
    That's correct. Wilbers is more or less standard in Europe. OK, there are some FOX and a few KW shocks around but Wilbers are in the majority. I had the Wilbers build in my GS for more than 10 years and was very pleased. My wife's Spyder ST-LTD has also Wilbers shocks.

But we never had the version with the hydraulic preload adjuster - it was just not needed. There are may Spyder owners in Germany who have this feature on their rear shocks but they never use it. In my opinion this is only beneficial if you are dealing with a high range of different loads.

@troop: Why do you want to upgrade your rear shock with a hydraulic preload adjuster?

Kind regards,
    Alex

Spyder Garage

To be honest, I'd likely only use it a few times a year. I'm a 100% solo rider, and my load rating would only increase when I throw on luggage/mounts for trips. Total weight of these is likely in the 80lb range for luggage rack/ (3) cases and contents. A couple/few turns on the preload collar would likely suffice. My original concern was that the preload collar would be a pain to access. The rear M2 standard shock looks pretty easy to access from the right side of my F3S with no luggage installed. I just found out that the Race Tech shock uses the integral hydraulic adjuster attached to the upper shock body, requiring an allen socket/extension to adjust. This was similar to the WP shock that was on my Tiger 800. They do look good, albeit at a price premium
    Last edited by troop; 01-18-2022 at 04:41 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Currently a Dutch company, is developing Front and rear shocks for my Spyder F3s, it wil have a hydraulic preload adjuster, don't know what they are going to cost yet... I drive 50% of the time 2up, and I found that the stock shock, doesn't do the job.
    It's just way too soft, and rubs the inner fender, hitting speedbumps, I expect these to be ready in the next couple of weeks, and after testing these thoroughly, I will chime in again.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

If you are in the US and ride in the US, then I would BUY US! If the shock blows a seal and needs repair you will want to get it back on the road as fast as you can, shipping a shock overseas is not a easy or fast proses! Good Luck anyways, let us know if the remote system was really worth the trouble!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    If you are in the US and ride in the US, then I would BUY US! If the shock blows a seal and needs repair you will want to get it back on the road as fast as you can, shipping a shock overseas is not a easy or fast proses! Good Luck anyways, let us know if the remote system was really worth the trouble!
    Been in contact with a USA Wilber supplier. If I go the Wilber route, I will spend the extra $$ for USA version. Being a solo rider, I likely don't really "need" the hydraulic preload version. That said, if I ever sell my F3S, I'd likely take the time to R/R the aftermarket suspension with the stock suspension. The hydraulic option might be worth the extra resale cost to someone who does ride a lot of two up. The hydraulic set up does look sweet tho
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troop; 01-19-2022 at 09:37 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Currently a Dutch company, is developing Front and rear shocks for my Spyder F3s, it wil have a hydraulic preload adjuster, don't know what they are going to cost yet... I drive 50% of the time 2up, and I found that the stock shock, doesn't do the job.
    It's just way too soft, and rubs the inner fender, hitting speedbumps, I expect these to be ready in the next couple of weeks, and after testing these thoroughly, I will chime in again.
    Guessing Hyper Pro ? I used their stuff on a past 800 Tiger with good results. Will be interested to see how it works for you.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Please, not WP.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Guessing Hyper Pro ? I used their stuff on a past 800 Tiger with good results. Will be interested to see how it works for you.

Maybe, or possibly Reiger.

Spyder Garage

Incorrect on all the above, Company is called Tractive, and they make Hightech stuff, they hold a few patents on a very fast reacting electronic valve.
    They produce shocks for BMW Motorrad, even Porsche calls them for suspension

Follow this link https://tractivesuspension.com/

One of the CEO's, is married to my Niece...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Have used Wilber shocks on several of my BMW rides over the years with excellent results. Since we rode 2 up all the time the upgrade was phenomenal. They US dealer I used set up the shocks based on my needs asking for weight of rider, passenger and luggage carried. This would help them determine the spring size and shock setup. The US dealer I used was also able to rebuild them when required.

Randy

Spyder Garage

Just ordered a rear Wilber's 640 HPA shock yesterday. Cost was $1042. Yeah .. A lot of money, but: 1.) Preload changes will be a piece of cake, and 2.) Down the road, resale will likely be quite a bit better. You can buy the non HPA shock for $719, which is a damn good price. The hydraulic preload adjuster adds $323. Will take about five weeks to arrive + another four weeks before hibernation ends.
    https://www.wilbers.de/shop/en/Motor...ur=3&year=2019
    Last edited by troop; 01-22-2022 at 09:48 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I fitted Wilbers ($3500 for the 3 corners) and they are fantastic. I like to adjust mine to suit where I am headed (i.e. mostly freeway or country roads or roads I know are going to be rubbish). They have improved the handling, wet weather grip, provide more "antidive" when breaking than the OEM's and reduce that uncomfortable feeling when the outside front wheel in a corner dips into a dip and feels like you are going to be thrown over the armco rail. I didnt like the nervousness the OEMs have in certain situations.

My RTL is much better on any surface, and then chief cook noticed on her first pillion trip the difference ... happy wife happy life.

I have a mate who went with M2's, I almost bought them too, but chose the Wilburs because of the remote rear shock adjustment (mine is up under the seat. I was told one the OEM's are fox, and was glad to see the end of them.

If your model has self levelling, it sometimes upsets the system when the valving in the rear shock slows the travel as the height adjusts. For me when i get Fuel or start a trip, sit for 30 seconds and wait for the rear end to position itself where it wants to then ride off. Since learning that I've had no trouble
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Still waiting (a bit less) patiently for my Wilber 640 HPA shock to arrive. Wilber states "20 business days" to process/ship. It has now been (30) business days. It ships > Ted Porter > me. Still have a few weeks till riding time. Come on.......

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Shock arrived today and it sure is pretty. Installed the shock today and will button it all up Thursday
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troop; 03-15-2022 at 04:13 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

My ride will be ready end this week, and I will chime in with the results, Tractive also has resellers in the US, and Canada, so rebuilding them won't be an issue.
    First test results are very promising, they are fine tuning them now, for my riding needs, weight 2 up for hydraulic pre-load.
    Yup and they look sweet too. Love the colorscheme Troop

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

So, with the hydraulic valve adjustment option there is no need for the factory airbag?

My base RT does not have the pump and the bag will leak a bit over time so I have to add air on every ride.

Going to a new shock like this would be one less thing for me to have to think about. I ride 100% one-up.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

I have a F3S, no airbag, so I can't help you with that. Like you, I ride 100% solo. However, for my build specs, I used:
    Rider weight (ungeared): 235#
    100% luggage weight installed (Shad mounts/pack rack): 20#
    75% solo/25% passenger
    Passenger weight: 150#
    Riding style: 75% sport/25% touring

I did this mostly for future use, if I ever decide to ride two up. Also, in the event I sell the F3S down the road, the shock is sprung/valved for more range of riders.
    I wanted the hydraulic preload adjuster to make quick work of load changes. Simply turn the knob. No messing with spanner wrenches under the fender. Just my preference.
    Last edited by troop; 03-16-2022 at 11:29 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Troop what you've done is almost exactly what I did on my 2020 F3S-SS right when I got it 2 years ago. I put an Elka Stage 5 with hydraulic preload adjuster in. Your weight specs are very close to mine it's somewhat spooky.
    I do however ride 2-up occasionally with my wife and the adjuster works great. Anyone who weighs more than 175 lbs should replace the stock rear shock.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Troop,

Love Wilburs on my BMW motorcycle. They're simply better than stock in every way. Hope you like yours!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think you'll be disappointed When I fitted mine i reversed out of the garage which has a 3/4" drop from the floor to the driveway I immediately felt a difference. My mate with the M2s and I are intending to swap for a day to see what his is like
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Took my first ride of the season yesterday. The shock was much smoother on small bumps/ripples. I'm thinking Wilber valved/sprung it for the sporty side, as I specified "80% sport/20% touring". I just need to get around setting the SAG levels.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

This is the major thing, to get the shocks performing in the best way possible, you can tweak them all day.... and then you have to keep in mind, that overtime they degrade, so you have to start tweaking again...
    ghegheghe, but that is all in the game of farkling with and on your Spyder.

I have my spyder back, from tractive, and it is just a huge WOW, what a difference, shocks make, Steering input and output is much better, bumps, are smoother, dive is a lot less...
    Didn't figure, that it would be such a difference...

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

This is the major thing, to get the shocks performing in the best way possible, you can tweak them all day.... and then you have to keep in mind, that overtime they degrade, so you have to start tweaking again...
    ghegheghe, but that is all in the game of farkling with and on your Spyder.

I have my spyder back, from tractive, and it is just a huge WOW, what a difference, shocks make, Steering input and output is much better, bumps, are smoother, dive is a lot less...
    Didn't figure, that it would be such a difference...
    Post up the pictures

2022 RT Sea To Sky