Spyder Garage

Default Anyone used Castrol Full Synthetic? Results?

Has anyone used Castrol Full Synthetic oil (5W40 4 stroke) in their RT 1330? I have a 2018 and was wondering if anyone had used it, what they thought about the results. Thank you.
    2015 RT LTD , Red

Spyder Garage

I've used it twice on my '20RT (18k) with no issues. I used it in my Trophy SE and Versys 1000 without any problems.

I'm going to try Amsoil for the 1st time at next change.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I've been told by a spyder tec that BRP oil is Castrol. But I think the BRP oil is a blend. I've used Amsoil full synthetic in my RT with no problems.
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjuice View Post
    I've been told by a spyder tec that BRP oil is Castrol. But I think the BRP oil is a blend. I've used Amsoil full synthetic in my RT with no problems.
    Last time I looked. BRP branded oil is not "JASO" rated. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gl1800 View Post
    Has anyone used Castrol Full Synthetic oil (5W40 4 stroke) in their RT 1330? I have a 2018 and was wondering if anyone had used it, what they thought about the results. Thank you.
    Yes, the engine is still intact
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes. In my 2015 RT and I also had a Trophy SE that used that oil. No issues.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I've used Castrol 1 4T fully synthetic, as recommended, in my 2015 Triumph Trophy and 2018 Triumph Bonneville T120. I know it has a different name in some markets, but they are seemingly equivalent.

I have never had any issues using it in either Triumph and as the Rotax 1330 triple uses very close to the same technology as the Triumph engines, and they are about the same kind of horsepower per litre output, I would imagine it would be just fine.

I am sure it is no better, or worse for that matter, than any other name brands - change it every 5,000 miles or so and I think anything semi or fully synthetic from a name brand manufacturer that follows the manufacturers rating requirements especially regarding wet clutch engines will work just fine.

The thing I am much more fussy about though, is the quality of oil filters. Some of the really cheap ones really are truly awful in construction. All oil brands you use will benefit from better levels of filtration. Your mileage may vary.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Anyone using Castrol Full Synthetic 5W40 in their Spyder?

Has anyone had experience using Castrol full synthetic 5W40 motorcycle oil in their RT? Mine is a 2018. The specs I'm considering are JASO MA2, APISL. Thank you for your replies.

Terry
    2015 RT LTD , Red

Spyder Garage

If it meets the API service spec(s) in your operator's guide it's acceptable to use in your Spyder. The ONLY way to tell how it performs is to have it analyzed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Silly question. If you dont buy the oil change kit where do you get the gaskets and filter ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonridernj View Post
    Silly question. If you dont buy the oil change kit where do you get the gaskets and filter ?
    Lamonster Garage--- a sponsor on this site. His Facebook store will sell you the correct filter and gaskets and filter for your Spyder. Always saves time to put the specifics of your ryde in your signature.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/oil-change-kits/
    Last edited by Lew L; 11-14-2022 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added link
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

BajaRon, another sponsor, always has those items in stock. Links on the home page.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dragonridernj View Post

" gaskets " ??? my 14 RT has had 14 Oil Changes. Never changed an " O " ring gasket .... " Oil filter , changed once per year, they come with a new gasket attached. ...... Mike ..... PS , I remember back in 2011, lots of folks were changing out all their Wheel BEARINGS .... EVERY time they changed tires. I've had three spyders well over 100,000 mi. Have not changed a bearing yet and have not had any Bearing failures. ..... JMHO .... Mike