Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyders passing HDs

On two separate occasions I have had HD riders attempt to block me from passing with the Spyder. The rest of my group was on 2 wheels and passed without incident. I typically sweep and the 1st time this happened was when going around 2 HDs out to smell the roses. After the others passed, the 2nd HD attempted to stop my pass by pulling into the oncoming lane. I had to wait a few moments to get the A-hole in a curve. The 2nd incident was on a 4 lane highway. Again passing 6 HDs in no rush. As I passed, the lead HD decided to speed up and try to keep up with our pace. He couldn't but caught up to us at a light and was waving his arms at me like I just killed his dog. Couldn't hear his rant (earplugs are your friend) and just rode off on the green light.

Has anyone had similar incidents or am I the only lucky one?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

So far, I think you are the "lucky" one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mostly pickup trucks do this where we ride. Not sure what the big deal is about being passed.

Personally, I don't like holding up faster riders on my butt (whether I am in my car, truck or Spyder) so I quickly pull to the side of my lane as soon as I see them in my mirrors.

I had a guy on a BMW S1000RR with a pillion come up on me one time on the dragon and I slowed down and waved him by but I dropped in behind him to see if I could match his pace - nope.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my 136+K Spyder myles I've passed numerous Harleys, but I don't recall anyone trying to block me. But one time I was side-by-side with a burly tattooed specimen on a 4-lane suburban 55mph street. At a stoplight I tried to acknowledge him but he ignored me. When he took off in a show of hot thunder, I suppressed my normal takeoff so as to keep my front wheels no farther than his rear wheel. It was an unusually boring, slow takeoff for me, but I didn't want any trouble.

(By "my normal takeoff" I don't mean top performance at all; just normal runup to 6th gear to get back into cruise control so I can rest my arthritic hand. I could have easily been a block ahead of him when I hit 2nd gear if I wanted to.)
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh, yeah. Typical behavior from many H-D riders, in my experience. But it's not just Spyders; they feel honor-bound to best anything but sport bikes.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-11-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

We all know some HD riders can be real a**holes! They don't wave back to anything but a Harley. I have owned just about every type of motorcycle there is but never a Harley. Mostly because they are overpriced and underpowered and because of the type of thing you just described. I don't hold anything against Harley's. They are beautiful motorcycles full of American pride! They are just not for me. My personal feeling is 'run what you brung'. Just be happy to associate with anyone on 2 or 3 wheels. It's all good as long as the wind is in your face. Not all Harley guys are like this, but there are a fair amount that are.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post

On two separate occasions I have had HD riders attempt to block me from passing with the Spyder. The rest of my group was on 2 wheels and passed without incident. I typically sweep and the 1st time this happened was when going around 2 HDs out to smell the roses. After the others passed, the 2nd HD attempted to stop my pass by pulling into the oncoming lane. I had to wait a few moments to get the A-hole in a curve. The 2nd incident was on a 4 lane highway. Again passing 6 HDs in no rush. As I passed, the lead HD decided to speed up and try to keep up with our pace. He couldn't but caught up to us at a light and was waving his arms at me like I just killed his dog. Couldn't hear his rant (earplugs are your friend) and just rode off on the green light.

Has anyone had similar incidents or am I the only lucky one?
    A lot of Harley riders don’t even wave at each other. Last summer I was on my on my Indian and rode up alongside two Harley riders and waved. One rider gave me the finger. So I just cozied up real close to him and gave a wave of what the Hells up. He gave me the finger again and tried force me over, so I pulled up next to him until he had to ride on the side of the road. I waited for both of them at the next stoplight but they turned right and just kept on going. Very unusual for A Harley rider. About two weeks ago I was riding my spider down to one of the main streets here in Lincoln and I pulled up next to a guy With a do rag and an old beat up white pick up. He looked down at me and just shook his head like it was in discussed, so I pointed out his truck and shook my head in disgust. He decided that it was just best to look straightahead. These are the only two “incidents” that I have had in several years. I find most bikers very friendly and most wave. Sometimes they’ll come up and ask me about my bike and I’ll tell them this is what old Harley riders with one leg ride after their prime. They seemed kind of enjoyed that comment. I think most realize that we’re all on the same boat riding with the wind and out to have a good time.
    Last edited by Plarimer; 01-12-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

My poor, old, slow V-Max is still a mystery to some HD owners and the outcome is truly embarrassing for them. The Spyder easily outruns them on the curves. BUT---- I can't recall a 2 wheeler ever attempting to block my path.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

I used to get looks and reactions like those when I bought my V-rod way back in 2003! I even smoked the back tire away from them a couple of times! Now, I wave to everyone on (any) 2-wheels, and they most often wave back.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This thread is going nowhere, going to create hard feelings sooner or later, don't become a "Heavens Devil", Give PEACE a chance!........Bill

Spyder Garage

The thread was about some HD riders trying to prevent the Spyder from passing. It's not about HD bashing. Chill.

I've passed hundreds of bikes on the Spyder and was curious why only HD pilots cause grief. I ride with all brands including HDs with no issues but those 2 events stood out and I was wondering if others had similar incidents.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Couple of months ago going through downtown Frederick on Market Street on the way home from work and not wanting to slow my pace through an already slow one way street (25 mph).

Come up on 2 HD's moving really slow past outdoor diners at the outdoor tables and they are rev bombing the diners.

I move past them at the speed limit (not rev bombing) and this takes them by surprise as they were too busy looking at the diners they were irritating.

I have one of them start chasing me down and trying to scream at me over his overly loud exhaust but I just turn up my sena and drown him out as I kick it up a gear and leave him behind having a full fit.

Never seen someone so upset with me just trying to make my way home.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The thread was about some HD riders trying to prevent the Spyder from passing. It's not about HD bashing. Chill.

I've passed hundreds of bikes on the Spyder and was curious why only HD pilots cause grief. I ride with all brands including HDs with no issues but those 2 events stood out and I was wondering if others had similar incidents.
    That part here "why only HD pilots cause grief", Maybe they dislike NJ or his gal ran off with Spyder Man, but you can not group HD owners as bad guys, There are some very crude & rude other operators out there on every type of bike, trike, car, etc. Sorry, had 2 vent, .....Bill

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a bad experience with a couple of losers. As for me right now, I find that most HD's are fully winterized and I have the road and parking spaces to myself. I know who they are though. I get the typical HD scowl from their pickup truck windows now!! Just remember, there's a very good reason that HD doesn't make a snowmobile!!
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Must be a New Jersey thing. The left coast may be known for a lot of crazy folks, but so far, I have had nothing but waves, thumbs up and courtesy from HD riders here.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I think the advice given above is very good. The OP talks about some riders on HD trying to block him from passing them on the road.

Now, we seem to be into bashing all that ride HD. How about we don't go there?

Tell about your experiences if you have had them. As I mentioned above, I have never been blocked by another motorcycle, any brand, from passing. This covers 60 years of motorcycling, and many states lived in and traveled through. I have had a couple pickup trucks try to run me off the road though.

I am one to pull over and let the offenders go as far away as possible. I don't want to fuel any road rage with anyone about anything. Someone usually gets hurt or worse in those situations.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have now started riding with a pack of club affiliated HD's so I haven't run across that yet...

Spyder Garage

1st incident was in southern Virginia. 2nd was in West Virginia. I've ridden 18 k mi on the Spyder in 43 of the eastern states with only 2 encounters.
    Most of the cagers in the NE aren't aggressive, just clueless and don't move over for bikes. Also in National/State Parks.

Spyder Garage

Never had this happen by any Rider on any bike type. But often had a two-wheeler make room for me to pass or pull-in.
    Maybe it's my "vest", maybe it's my Spyder, maybe it's because I've run into bikers that WERE bikers, but have never had a problem with any two or three wheelers.
    Now cagers! Well, I could write 55 years' worth of pages on that one!

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I'm with the "never happened to me" group. The worst response I've experienced from any riders is they didn't return a wave.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I can't say I've ever had anyone block me other than clueless/inattentive cagers. We've got one of those "eliteist" HD riders here - refuses to park his bike in the designated motorcycle parking, won't make rooim for anyone else to park in the same spot when the bike parking is full...

When I lived in Daytona, you'd run into all kinds. But for the most part they were all pretty friendly, even to the young kids on the "rice burners".

I've had some here not wave back, but I can never be sure if it's intentional or they didn't see me in time, or...
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Only time we have ever been intentionally blocked on the road was by an older fellow on a bicycle.
    There were 3 of us and 4 of the bicycles. It was a narrow country backroad. We slowly approached the group and the first 3 bicyclists moved over to single line to let us pass. The lead bicyclist moved into the center of the road such that we could not pass on either side… and just stayed there. He had on his rearview mirror and all his equipment. But just in case he didn’t hear or see us us our lead man revved his pipes at him after following behind him for a bit.. the guy just stayed in the middle of the road. Finally he thought it was time to let us pass and moved over. We calmly and slowly passed him in case he decided to jerk back over in front of one of us.. As I got next to him I could see him laughing like crazy and even though I had to really fight the urge to stick my tongue out at him I just waved and went on down the road.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lately more and more people hate getting passed (car or bike). Don't understand it !

Spyder Garage

I ride in mostly rural areas on my bicycle when not on the RT and often wave at motorcycle riders and cagers. I think they are surprised and usually wave back. Now some familiar cars in the area wave first and give me plenty of room. Its about showing goodwill to those who've never been on two or three wheels. It seems next time they just care a little more and look out for a fellow traveler. Somehow I've become more human to them. In 6500 mi. on the RT I've encountered few issues and wave whenever possible.

Spyder Garage

I've never had anything of this scale happen to me in the eight years I've ridden a Spyder. I've had only one HD rider give me a rather negative hand signal when I waved at him, otherwise, a decent number wave and others don't. I've found that if there is a group of HD riders, the front riders are more inclined to NOT wave while those in the rear will.