Spyder Garage

Default New fuel pump. Now will not fire/run

New owner of 2019 rally 900 w/7300 miles. First ride of 75 miles, aok. Second ride of 150 miles, NOT aok. 5 miles from home it just died. It would crank but not fire. After about 5 minutes of no fire, it started but ran rough. Went about 1/2 mile and died again. By the time I returned with a trailer, it will now start and run fine. Even drove it around for short rides aok. After researching situation, it appeared to be a failing fuel pump and ordered a Fuel Pump Factory kit from of all places,
    The WalMarts.com. for $90. After removing 6 yrs off of the end of my life getting to the fuel pump, it was quite easy replacing the actual pump. Put fuel pump assembly back in and,,,, will not start. Hear fuel pump running, all lights come on, cranks just fine and an ocassional single fire. Icheck the flow & pressure and there is flow and 5 psi pressure. I know it should be 58 ish psi. I put old pump back in beacause I know it worked and it is now doing the same thing. I did not replace the regulator because a new retaining clip was not provided and it will be ruined by removing it. It appears to not be hardware store inventory. I am stumped.

Spyder Garage

Hey Usgregp,

Your story sound familiar. Took off on a ride after starting fine, sounding fine. Ran well on most of the hour or so ride, then suddenly engine hiccuped a little, out of no where and could feel it loose power and just shut down. Felt like if it had ran out of gas, which it had not. Let it sit a bit while trying to figure out what to do and thought what the heck, tried it again and it fired right back up, no hesitation thought I better bee-line it for home. Within 5 minutes got the same response, just shut down while underway. Ended up trailering it home, where it continues to sit on the trailer as of today. Could be fuel, could be spark.? Wouldn’t think it would restart if I had lost a fuse. Turns over, does not fire. Fuel pump purrs when you turn on the ignition. It’s a 2014 RT with approx 16,000 miles on it. Currently fighting the DESS module on it also, but don’t think that has anything to do with this problem.? Haven’t checked the fuel flow, or the spark yet. Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky2014 View Post
    Hey Usgregp,

Your story sound familiar. Took off on a ride after starting fine, sounding fine. Ran well on most of the hour or so ride, then suddenly engine hiccuped a little, out of no where and could feel it loose power and just shut down. Felt like if it had ran out of gas, which it had not. Let it sit a bit while trying to figure out what to do and thought what the heck, tried it again and it fired right back up, no hesitation thought I better bee-line it for home. Within 5 minutes got the same response, just shut down while underway. Ended up trailering it home, where it continues to sit on the trailer as of today. Could be fuel, could be spark.? Wouldn’t think it would restart if I had lost a fuse. Turns over, does not fire. Fuel pump purrs when you turn on the ignition. It’s a 2014 RT with approx 16,000 miles on it. Currently fighting the DESS module on it also, but don’t think that has anything to do with this problem.? Haven’t checked the fuel flow, or the spark yet. Thoughts?
    I am not sure if the spyder has the same fuel system, but if it does, it may be the fuel pump. I chose to replace the pump itself instead of the entire assembly ($325 dollar savings). Mine was running before I replaced the pump. Just not for a 1.5 hour or longer ride. hopefully I did not damage something in the process. I even put old pump back in and it now also has low fuel pressure.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT I to had the fuel pump go bad and replaced just the pump. I had the RT quit on me you could hear the pump running. Found the new outlet hose that came with would not stay on. Put clamps and not have had anymore issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Usgregp View Post
    New owner of 2019 rally 900 w/7300 miles. First ride of 75 miles, aok. Second ride of 150 miles, NOT aok. 5 miles from home it just died. It would crank but not fire. After about 5 minutes of no fire, it started but ran rough. Went about 1/2 mile and died again. By the time I returned with a trailer, it will now start and run fine. Even drove it around for short rides aok. After researching situation, it appeared to be a failing fuel pump and ordered a Fuel Pump Factory kit from of all places,
    The WalMarts.com. for $90. After removing 6 yrs off of the end of my life getting to the fuel pump, it was quite easy replacing the actual pump. Put fuel pump assembly back in and,,,, will not start. Hear fuel pump running, all lights come on, cranks just fine and an ocassional single fire. Icheck the flow & pressure and there is flow and 5 psi pressure. I know it should be 58 ish psi. I put old pump back in beacause I know it worked and it is now doing the same thing. I did not replace the regulator because a new retaining clip was not provided and it will be ruined by removing it. It appears to not be hardware store inventory. I am stumped.
    Could it be the fuel filter not passing enough fuel? Partially clogged?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    Could it be the fuel filter not passing enough fuel? Partially clogged?
    New filter/inlet screen as well.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What is voltage to fuel pump?
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Usgrep: Has this been resolved?
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    Usgrep: Has this been resolved?
    The last activity & visit to the Forum by Usegrep was to post post #6 above a month or so back....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Peter