Spyder Garage

Default Looking for help Disabling DESS - NE Ohio area?

Looking for someone in N.E. Ohio area that has the ability/equipment to disable DESS module on a 2014 RT. Have read that replacing the module will work for awhile, but eventually it becomes corrupted and you are right back where you started from.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky2014 View Post
    Looking for someone in N.E. Ohio area that has the ability/equipment to disable DESS module on a 2014 RT. Have read that replacing the module will work for awhile, but eventually it becomes corrupted and you are right back where you started from.
    I replaced my DESS module with a newer, updated one and have not had a problem in 4 and a half years.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the input Lew. May just go that route. Did you do it yourself or have it done? $?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky2014 View Post
    Thanks for the input Lew. May just go that route. Did you do it yourself or have it done? $?
    I removed the frunk and a few moments later the replacement DESS box was in. Not a really hard job. have an extra hand though. youtube is your friend--------- Deanna77 has a thread about DESS wows that is pages long. Much easier to get someone to disable it though.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks again Lew. Yes, saw those posts also! Still in the fence on which way to go with it, but would like to get it done one way or the other before spring arrives.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had my 2014 RTS disabled several years ago on my way to Americade...This was after 3 different latest and greatest modules back then, AND new keys and ignition switch with a new antenna...And one tow job for a no start DESS error...Needless to say, I was totally sick of the DESS issues...NO HELP FROM BRP...Poor road service waiting for a tow...My dealer did everything BRP Tech support suggested...I was ready to part with the bike...NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM SINCE TURING OFF THE SYSTEM...

There are several members with the ability to do it...

It would be nice to have a list of those with the ability...

Hopefully someone from your general area will see your post and PM you with their information...

GOOD LUCK...larryd

Spyder Garage

Disable it and don't look back. I got lucky and found a member that happened to be passing through the Cleveland area on vacation. I rode up from southern Ohio and he disabled mine for me. This doesn't answer your question, but my point is GIT ER DONE. You won't be sorry.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I had my 2014 RTS disabled several years ago on my way to Americade...This was after 3 different latest and greatest modules back then, AND new keys and ignition switch with a new antenna...And one tow job for a no start DESS error...Needless to say, I was totally sick of the DESS issues...NO HELP FROM BRP...Poor road service waiting for a tow...My dealer did everything BRP Tech support suggested...I was ready to part with the bike...NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM SINCE TURING OFF THE SYSTEM...

There are several members with the ability to do it...

It would be nice to have a list of those with the ability...

Hopefully someone from your general area will see your post and PM you with their information...

GOOD LUCK...larryd
    I have BUDS and BUDS2. When I presented to local owners that I could disable DESS I suspected folks would jump at the opportunity. None did. For most owners, and we see it here many times, all is perfect and nothing is needed, but have one hiccup with the Spyder and it becomes a Can Am slamfest.
    Same with DESS, get stranded once, and you will wish it had been disabled.

Spyder Garage

If you’ve gotten your first DESS error, I suspect it is only going to get worse not better. Replacing the module may be the solution or it may not be. But in any case, if it were happening to me, I would rule the bike as potentially unreliable. Each time I went out on a ride, it would always be at the back of my mind, where am I going to be when DESS rears its ugly head again. And how bad is it going to be. Will I be able to make it home on a wing and a prayer, or is there a major towing bill in my immediate future. For those reasons, I’m seriously considering purchasing the BUDS system with the Mega license and just turning it off altogether. Yea, that’s a solution that comes with a pretty serious price tag, but a price I’d be willing to pay. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited