Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Limited ACS compressor failed again. Third one!

I purchased this Spyder in 2016 with 10,000 miles on the clock. It now has 45,000 miles. In this time I have had to replace the compressor twice, the most recent was in summer of 2019. Midway through this past season I found that it had failed again. I got through the remainder of the 2021 riding season by manually airing up the system through the Schraeder valve under the seat. Each time I checked it prior to the next ride I found that the reading had dropped around 10-15 PSI but no sign of a major leak. I am trying to determine if I should replace the compressor again or manually monitor and maintain the air pressure vis an additional FOBO sensor on the Schraeder valve. Opinions? I normally ride two up 90% of the time with my wife. If I decide not to replace the compressor do I need to remove it and run a line from the airbag to the valve or can I just monitor the system via a FOBO sensor and add air as needed without pulling the whole rear end apart?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2022 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine/size related
    2022 Spyder RT Limited , Deep Marsala / Chrome

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Two failures here, too. So, I connected the bag straight to the schrader valve. You could either run one length between the bag and schrader valve, or disconnect the two lines each from the vent valve and use an in line connector and couple them together. Only had to re-add about 10 pounds each month this year. Remove the relay for the ACS and unplug the vent valve wire harness connector. You can then just leave the sensor and compressor as is. Adjust air pressure per the chart in your manual. Never going back. You can do this mod in a day.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I eliminated my ACS also. It's a wonderful thing when it works but when it doesn't it can be a very expensive nightmare.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Two failures here, too. So, I connected the bag straight to the schrader valve. You could either run one length between the bag and schrader valve, or disconnect the two lines each from the vent valve and use an in line connector and couple them together. Only had to re-add about 10 pounds each month this year. Remove the relay for the ACS and unplug the vent valve wire harness connector. You can then just leave the sensor and compressor as is. Adjust air pressure per the chart in your manual. Never going back. You can do this mod in a day.
    I did this also. I think it's the "vent valve' with all it's associated connections ( one of them a swivel ( a leaker) Now it holds pressure for months at a time.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are several ways to make this system work better...I for one like to be able to adjust the air pressure to different settings depending on riding conditions and passenger weight with the push of the dash rocker switch...(But that's ME)

After the second air compressor failure on my 2014 RTS I replaced the compressor with the Viair comp. and redesigned the air system to work as "air on demand system"...I can even air up a low tire from the schraeder valve under the seat...

This is not overly hard to do but you need to be mechanically gifted...When I did mine I didn't take any pictures or write any notes...I have talked several members thru the task...

Hooking the air line from the air bag to the schraeder valve will work...But you need a source for air, and if you out on the road that can sometimes be a problem...

Bakers Air Wing used to offer a "Add on Aftermarket Kit" that easily addressed the problem...

See some of the posts here... https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ystem-for-RT-s

If you were able to replace your previously failed compressors you are capable of doing this task...

I see its also winter where you live and if you want to hear more about how to do it "MY Way" please PM me...larryd