Spyder Garage

Spyder Replacing Horn for 2011 Spyder RT-S

Hello all. I have been searching endlessly for a video tutorial or Very Good diagram of how to get to and replace the horn on my 2011 Spyder RT-S. I purchased a couple of nautilus-type horns that are 500 and 600 MHz "Train Horn" and I'm looking for help with instructions. Thank you in advance.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RustyW View Post
    Hello all. I have been searching endlessly for a video tutorial or Very Good diagram of how to get to and replace the horn on my 2011 Spyder RT-S. I purchased a couple of nautilus-type horns that are 500 and 600 MHz "Train Horn" and I'm looking for help with instructions. Thank you in advance.
    I also wanted a louder horn on my GS, and then my RSS ..... They were facing the wrong way for good sound projection .... so I turned them around .... worked so good I didn't consider a louder HORN was necessary .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I replaced the stock horn on my wife's 2012 RTS while I had the front trunk removed to replace the headlights and fog lights with LED lamps. The stock horn is located on the lower left side of the trunk and requires the removal of a plastic cover held in place with three or four screws (it's been a while since I did this). I replaced the stock horn with a Denali Sound Bomb Mini so it was a simple remove/replace swap. The difficulty is getting to the stock horn in the first place. It may be possible from beneath the machine without removing the front trunk, but I can't confirm that since we exchanged her 2012 for a 2021 Sea to Sky.

Thankfully the horn location on my 2015 RTS is much easier to reach (though that doesn't help you at all - sorry).
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I sure do miss Finless. Great guy with lots of helpful information. Like others have mentioned here the Rolo or the Bad Boy is hardly worth the $$$. I have one and it's not much louder than OEM. I think RustyW is right, get the twin air horn setup. I have the twin horn on my jeep and it's really LOUD!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 2013 & earlier RTs have almost no space to put a horn except where the stock one is. 2014 & later with the 1330 engine have space under the left lower tupperware. I barely could squeeze the compressor in on my 2013 which is why I went to the two trumpet horn set up. I liked the sound of it so much I did the same on my 2014.

Front angle view.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hey, it's all good. I'm happy that y'all traded up to the Sea to Sky. I would LOVE to have one. I did find that the horn was located right where you said it was. The only issue is getting to it the easiest way. LOL I don't have a workshop that I can get down on the concrete and lift the vehicle. The search for info continues...

Spyder Garage

Thank you. I saw that one but it was not so clear so I didn't invest a lot of time into it. I just watched it again and I might try that.

Spyder Garage

That is awesome. I wanted the trumpet-style horns in the first place but didn't see a way of mounting it on the trike since it's all enclosed.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RustyW View Post
    That is awesome. I wanted the trumpet-style horns in the first place but didn't see a way of mounting it on the trike since it's all enclosed.
    It did require drilling 2 holes on each side, one for the mounting bolt and the other for the air line. Most owners here would rather die than desecrate their RT that way but I figured it was worth it. And after all, the impact on resale value will be pretty minimal after about 3 or 5 years. The few times I've had to use them the sound scares the bejeebers out of people.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now that my ECU is on its way to Wick-It, I created a useful space with which install a new horn system. Twin trumpets no less. Plenty of room to work with and plenty of time to make the mod. After some bending and fitting it all worked. Dam it hurts! If you install one don't test it until you get the tupperware back on and until you're up and sitting on the seat and moving down the road. It is so loud it actually hurt. I cannibalized the mounting brackets off my Bad Boy and used them to make the new horns fit. You have to be a creative fitter with small hands to get the job done. There's still enough room left to reinstall my ECU without disturbing the horn install. How long will it last, only time will tell.