Spyder Garage

Default 2011 Spyder RT-S wheels

I purchased a 2011 Spyder RT-S with 14" wheels. The previous owner painted the front rims black and not a good job at that. I'm looking to find replacement rims. I find nothing in 14" but there is a 15" option. Will a 15" rim and tire fit under the front fender?

Spyder Garage

Take them to a shop that can do bead blasting with walnut shells. That will clean them off and not damage the finish on your wheels. Much cheaper the buying new wheels.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    I purchased a 2011 Spyder RT-S with 14" wheels. The previous owner painted the front rims black and not a good job at that. I'm looking to find replacement rims. I find nothing in 14" but there is a 15" option. Will a 15" rim and tire fit under the front fender?
    Other folks here have done it, there should be no issues ..... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Other folks here have done it, there should be no issues ..... Mike
    That hasn't caused problems with Nanny? Or is the circumference close enough to the 14" to allow her to tolerate the change in speed readings?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    That hasn't caused problems with Nanny? Or is the circumference close enough to the 14" to allow her to tolerate the change in speed readings?
    Apart from the cosmetic 'upgrade version' that came out at the same time, I don't think they actually changed the fenders all that much (if at all) when they upgraded from the 14" to the 15" rims & tires - I believe that rim size change was more cosmetic & to cater for the change to Brembo brakes than anything else...

That said, with the stock rolling dia tires, they're close enough for the Nanny to handle the change from 14" to 15" rims; so it's unlikely that any sized tire on a 15" rim that'll actually fit under the OE fenders will be too much of a difference for the Nanny.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I hate to ask.... but what exactly is the nanny?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    I hate to ask.... but what exactly is the nanny?
    'The Nanny' is the nickname given to the Engine & Chassis Control Systems plus the Stability Control & Safety suite of 'Driver aids'!! It's a (slightly derogatory??) term of endearment that bundles up all those things like the Engine Control Unit (ECU); Transmission Control Unit (TCU); Vehicle Stability System (VSS); Traction Control; Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS); Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD); and all the rest of the computer managed/controlled stuff that's fed by the extensive sensor suite which all works together to make sure that your Spyder keeps running at its best without exploding the engine &/or damaging anything else & safely changing gears as & when prompted; all the while keeping you, your passenger, and your Spyder safe & upright.... Well, the cynic in me suggests that it's probably more aimed at making sure that you can't sue BRP for any negligence in their engine/chassis/trans control systems etc & onboard safety systems, cos we all know that no matter how great these things might be, they really can't protect you from stupidity, yours or anyone else's, but hey...

All up, 'the Nanny' is a really capable bunch of programs & computer controlled aids that generally work exceptionally well at keeping your Spyder working properly and the rubber bits on the road, the shiny bits up, with everything pointed & driving in the correct direction, and the rider & any passenger fairly safe - even if she might be a little frustratingly over-zealous at times!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2022 at 06:31 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good description, Peter. I don't recall reading any reports on here about a Spyder turning over except when the ryder crawled up an abutment or curb, or ran off the road into a ditch, or was hit by another vehicle, or turned really sharp while driving in reverse. Nanny really does do a good job of keeping the Spyder planted to the road.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)