Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

I had the code on my '12. It ended up being a back brakes were worn down. After a Buds clear and a new rear brakes, all good.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Only done 800 miles eh??? While you have the fuel filter off, turn key on momentarily to see what come out. Many cars take a 5/16" metal fuel filter with barb fittings - that's what I use; larger but fits in there well.
    Yeah Freddy, I was thinking along those same lines. So, Phil, as long as you have the fuel lines disconnected, and can do it safely, even by adding another length of fuel hose temporarily, turn on the key with the kill switch in ON, and see if the fuel pump puts out. Keep in mind that the nominal fuel pressure is 75#...it won't be a super large flow rate but it is capable of high pressure. You might consider running a sample into a glass container to ensure it is gas and not water. If the new fuel filter solves this problem, I would cut the old one open and inspect the filter inside to see what's in there. Curiosity. Good luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Yeah Freddy, I was thinking along those same lines. So, Phil, as long as you have the fuel lines disconnected, and can do it safely, even by adding another length of fuel hose temporarily, turn on the key with the kill switch in ON, and see if the fuel pump puts out. Keep in mind that the nominal fuel pressure is 75#...it won't be a super large flow rate but it is capable of high pressure. You might consider running a sample into a glass container to ensure it is gas and not water. If the new fuel filter solves this problem, I would cut the old one open and inspect the filter inside to see what's in there. Curiosity. Good luck.
    Awaiting new filter--went with automotive equivalent as suggested at 1/4 the price of an OEM. Plan to check fuel pump through old filter and then run some gas out w/o filter. 75# is fairly high, near impossible to stop with thumb!

I thought about cutting open the old filter but a Dremel produces sparks! Maybe I'll just pry it open?

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!
    Last edited by PhilY; 01-24-2022 at 05:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustin921 View Post
    I had the code on my '12. It ended up being a back brakes were worn down. After a Buds clear and a new rear brakes, all good.
    Have less than 3K miles on brakes and lots of meat on the pads. No dealer here so BUDS is not immediately available. I can live with the warning as brakes work just fine and all rotors show wear marks from being engaged.
    Last edited by PhilY; 01-24-2022 at 05:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Use a hacksaw to cut the filter open.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

So, Doug. Finally received the filter and it's marked "for carbureted applications only . . . not for fuel injection" so back it goes.

@Freddy, do you have brand/model of the one you use?

Anyway, I took off the connection after the filter, turned on the ignition and . . . NOTHING. Fuel pump isn't buzzing when I turn on the ignition anymore! Am I correct in assuming that I need a new fuel pump assembly ($$$)?
    Last edited by PhilY; 01-26-2022 at 08:02 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do need a new fuel pump you can get them here for under $100.00 and life time guarantee...

Quantum Fuel Systems <sales@highflowfuel.com>

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PhilY View Post

Anyway, I took off the connection after the filter, turned on the ignition and . . . NOTHING. Fuel pump isn't buzzing when I turn on the ignition anymore! Am I correct in assuming that I need a new fuel pump assembly ($$$)?
    Fuel pump runs with ignition switch in ON plus kill switch in RUN position. So, just check that you didn’t flip the kill switch to STOP sometime in the last few days. And make sure that fuse F5 didn’t blow for some reason with all of the stuff you’ve been doing. Otherwise, strange that it was running just a couple days ago, was running throughout this whole saga, and suddenly not now. So, check those things first.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Fuel pump runs with ignition switch in ON plus kill switch in RUN position. So, just check that you didn’t flip the kill switch to STOP sometime in the last few days. And make sure that fuse F5 didn’t blow for some reason with all of the stuff you’ve been doing. Otherwise, strange that it was running just a couple days ago, was running throughout this whole saga, and suddenly not now. So, check those things first.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll go through them then start troubleshooting the fuel pump based upon a manual I have on CD. Hopefully, that'll tell me if the pump is bad.

Manual.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    if you do need a new fuel pump you can get them here for under $100.00 and life time guarantee...

Quantum fuel systems <sales@highflowfuel.com>
    Awesome!! Thank you!!!

Spyder Garage

Fram - G6400; WIX - 33310 or 33023; Ryco - Z200

Was the one you got plastic?

Getting the fuel pump out is something of a mission.
    Last edited by Freddy; 01-27-2022 at 07:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Fram - G6400; WIX - 33310 or 33023; Ryco - Z200

Was the one you got plastic?

Getting the fuel pump out is something of a mission.
    No, it's metal but marked "for carbureted apps only." I'd rather not take a chance. Will get one of those you mentioned above. THANKS!

Spyder Garage

OK, guys, sorry been busy for a while. So, before I started troubleshooting, I insured fuse #5 was good. Confirmed that starter kicks in since starter solenoid on same fuse.

I haven't tried jumping the fuel pump directly to the battery as I cannot access the terminal pins.

I started troubleshooting and it failed the fuel pump circuit test and the fuel pump power circuit voltage test--nada.

So I have an idea of the problem, unfortunately no solutions. Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Did you cut the fuel filter open as suggested? Its contents may give an indication of what's inside the pump inside the tank before you take the tank out to access the pump.

Spyder Garage

All's well that ends well. Learned a few things: go with easiest possible cause first. In this case it was a plugged fuel line, believe it or not! Filter was good. I started troubleshooting the fuel pump electrics and got several false issues. Learned lots of things. like the fuel pump does not make any sound unless it's under pressure.

I still have the brake failure warning but I can live with that; so long as I have good brakes/pressure in the system, I'll just ignore it.

CANNOT THANK ENOUGH ALL WHO PROVIDED ASSISTANCE ALONG THE WAY. COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU!

Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

To the brake issue - is it fixed? On my Spyder (2008GS) it was the VSS not having been bled - probably ever. I found a easy but messy way to bleed it. Pop off the right side panel, shine a flashlight in front of the engine pointed down. You'll see the brake lines going into a block mounted on the center frame. Use a 1/4" ratchet with extensions with a 1/2" socket and you can drop down and get it. The messy part is can't catch the fluid. Then repeat the pump and hold procedure. Viola!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stevencovert View Post
    To the brake issue - is it fixed? On my Spyder (2008GS) it was the VSS not having been bled - probably ever. I found a easy but messy way to bleed it. Pop off the right side panel, shine a flashlight in front of the engine pointed down. You'll see the brake lines going into a block mounted on the center frame. Use a 1/4" ratchet with extensions with a 1/2" socket and you can drop down and get it. The messy part is can't catch the fluid. Then repeat the pump and hold procedure. Viola!
    Bled this bleed screw. Actually got a hose on the bleeder screw after removing more tupperware (I had previously bled all the brakes and topped off the resevoirs).

Then followed the instructions to cancel the warning here

Voila! NO MORE BRAKE FAILURE WARNING!!

Thanks, Steven and everyone else. This forum ROCKS, especially since my nearest dealer is an ocean away!
    Last edited by PhilY; 02-15-2022 at 02:00 PM.