Spyder Garage

Default High oil pressure blew oil filter cover o-ring! Anyone else? Ideas?

anyone ever have hi enough oil pressure to blow the o-ring on the oil filter cover and spew all the oil in an instant.
    this happened on my 2013 RtL se5, after a major service. was wondering if there are any vent tubes or pvc type system that could have been pinched at reassembly. thanks

Spyder Garage

Sound like something was left loose, sorry can’t say have heard of anything like that.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcan08 View Post
    anyone ever have hi enough oil pressure to blow the o-ring on the oil filter cover and spew all the oil in an instant.
    this happened on my 2013 RtL se5, after a major service. was wondering if there are any vent tubes or pvc type system that could have been pinched at reassembly. thanks
    Which oil filter cover? The engine or HCM cover? And what was the "major service" all about?
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 01-08-2022 at 06:58 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Typically, the person tightens one screw down all the way and then attempts to tighten the 2nd screw. If it doesn't strip out the threads, it will pinch/cut the O-Ring and it will blow out. It really doesn't take much pressure on the tiny screws to make the system work. Most get them much tighter than they need to be. As long as there is even pressure around the circumference, the O-Ring will do all the work. But to accomplish this, you need to tighten each screw a little bit at a time. The gap around the rim should be even. Someone messed up here. The oil pressure was not the problem.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Check the length of the retaining screws...the screws on the engine filter are longer than the screws on the HCM filter....
    If by chance the screws were mixed up ...and if the longer screw or screws from the engine filter were used on the HCM filter, they bottom out and will not tighten the HCM filter cap down allowing the O ring to blow out under pressure ...
    2017 F3s-Daytona...After market top-box,- Diy Sports rack,- Diy Windshield & brackets - Sena 20s,- Shad side cases,- Drivers backrest,- 660 Garmin,- Altimate floor boards, - Diy Belt Guard, - Sinister Exhaust,

Spyder Garage

My guess would be they somehow installed the oil filter backwards, blocking oil flow, until it blew apart. Or the others are right and the threads are stripped.

If they did install the filter backwards, bummer since the engine has now likely been oil starved and may make metal in the near future.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ccol View Post
    Check the length of the retaining screws...the screws on the engine filter are longer than the screws on the HCM filter....
    If by chance the screws were mixed up ...and if the longer screw or screws from the engine filter were used on the HCM filter, they bottom out and will not tighten the HCM filter cap down allowing the O ring to blow out under pressure ...
    Yo, That's why I asked which filter, but it's the other way around. The engine filter screws are the short ones. The shorter screws (M6x30) belong in the engine filter. The longer screws (M6x35) belong in the HCM filter.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

thanks for the replies, i am going to clean up the mess today and check the suggestions and replace filter and oil.
    thanks again for a place to start.
    IMG_0277.jpgphoto is turned sideways, but it shows o-ring sticking out the top

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcan08 View Post
    thanks for the replies, i am going to clean up the mess today and check the suggestions and replace filter and oil.
    thanks again for a place to start.
    IMG_0277.jpgphoto is turned sideways, but it shows o-ring sticking out the top
    It will be interesting to know exactly what when wrong here. You might want to check the gap around the circumference of the cap before you start your search. If it isn't the same, that would be your first clue. Hopefully, it's nothing more than a mess. Easily corrected.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Leak

Just curious about your Spyder oil leak.
    Did you change/service the oil on your Spyder?

Several good Tips have been Posted.
    I hope you find out what happened to cause this problem.

Please let us know what you Find. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

HCM Filter. Interesting. Zoom In on that and it almost looks like two O-rings trying to come out unless its just a lighting reflection. Those are the screws that should be 35mm long from below the head to the tip. Or, it was just never tightened or got stripped. And by the way, during a shift, but only in that split second during a shift, the pressure in that system goes to 175# in order to operate the shift piston. So yeah, it makes a mess. At other times, it just pumps oil around in a circle under low pressure.

Doug

Spyder Garage

It could be that the oring was reused and had swelled up not fit around the cover right. Or thr wrong oring was packaged.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    HCM Filter. Interesting. Zoom In on that and it almost looks like two O-rings trying to come out unless its just a lighting reflection. Those are the screws that should be 35mm long from below the head to the tip. Or, it was just never tightened or got stripped. And by the way, during a shift, but only in that split second during a shift, the pressure in that system goes to 175# in order to operate the shift piston. So yeah, it makes a mess. At other times, it just pumps oil around in a circle under low pressure.
    Interesting perspective. I can see what you mean. Not removing the original and doubling up would definitely cause this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Interesting perspective. I can see what you mean. Not removing the original and doubling up would definitely cause this.
    I saw this happen one time on an automobile engine. It lasted about a minute under pressure before it blew out.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Yo, That's why I asked which filter, but it's the other way around. The engine filter screws are the short ones. The shorter screws (M6x30) belong in the engine filter. The longer screws (M6x35) belong in the HCM filter.
    Sorry my bad .....I new there were two different size bolts.....it's been four years since I did an oil change on my old STs, and I got into the habit of changing one filter at a time so I didn't get them mixed up...
    2017 F3s-Daytona...After market top-box,- Diy Sports rack,- Diy Windshield & brackets - Sena 20s,- Shad side cases,- Drivers backrest,- 660 Garmin,- Altimate floor boards, - Diy Belt Guard, - Sinister Exhaust,

Spyder Garage

The best substitute for brains and knowledge is silence, not guesswork.
    Last edited by Freddy; 01-09-2022 at 09:04 PM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Oil Leak

By default it looks like a seal issue. Several times when I got in a hurry and forgot about removing the old seal.
    Anyhow if you have a leak from the cover/seal area, you need to carefully inspect the cover and seal.

Hopefully you are able to find the problem that is causing the issue.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage