Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Rider magazine renewal

Having been a Rider magazine for many years, I always renewed for the (3) year discount. With my current subscription set to end in March, I received my renewal notice. (1) year is $49.99 and (2) years is $99.98 Both options include free digital subscription. I like the magazine, but not that much. So long Rider magazine via print. At that cost, it will go by the way side as the other motorcycle magazines have. I'll likely opt for the $4.99/year digital option

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Makes me wonder just how good of a handle the company has on overall production costs of the magazine. All the costs up to the point of having a press ready copy are the same for either version. I have a hard time believing that the print production and mailing costs is 90% of the current subscription price, especially since they most likely use a contract printer so they're aren't holding the bag for the capital cost of the printing plant.

IMO, the $4.99/yr price is either a loss leader to motivate all subscribers to switch, or a portender of their eventual demise. Most likely the latter.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have always waited for and used the $4.99 offer. They usually throw it at you when you don't bite on their first offer of renewal. My subscription is good until June of 2025. Then I am going to hang it up. I will be 80 then.

A good magazine at $4.99 but no way for $49.99 to $99.99. The issues are currently about 20 pages shorter than under the previous ownership.

I have been a faithful reader since its inception. The magazine has cost me thousands of dollars personally. I took many of their reviews seriously. They did blow the review of the new Spyder in 2008 though. They were way off base.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have always waited for and used the $4.99 offer. They usually throw it at you when you don't bite on their first offer of renewal. My subscription is good until June of 2025. Then I am going to hang it up. I will be 80 then.

A good magazine at $4.99 but no way for $49.99 to $99.99. The issues are currently about 20 pages shorter than under the previous ownership.

I have been a faithful reader since its inception. The magazine has cost me thousands of dollars personally. I took many of their reviews seriously. They did blow the review of the new Spyder in 2008 though. They were way off base.
    Don't EVER say " hanging it up " ..... I turn 75 in March, and my plan is for my Son to pry my cold, dead, hands off the Spyder. Then they can cremate me ............JMHO .... Mike ...............PS, today was day 19 of this season's skiing for me .....it was great we finally got some natural snow .....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Having been a Rider magazine for many years, I always renewed for the (3) year discount. With my current subscription set to end in March, I received my renewal notice. (1) year is $49.99 and (2) years is $99.98 Both options include free digital subscription. I like the magazine, but not that much. So long Rider magazine via print. At that cost, it will go by the way side as the other motorcycle magazines have. I'll likely opt for the $4.99/year digital option
    $8 per mailed issue is too much? Holy cow!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to ask how a $49 per year subscription could have cost you 'thousands', unless you're counting merchandise you purchased as a result of reading their reviews...?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-08-2022 at 11:46 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Don't EVER say " hanging it up " ..... I turn 75 in March, and my plan is for my Son to pry my cold, dead, hands off the Spyder.
    Wouldn't you rather follow this man's example!!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Wouldn't you rather follow this man's example!!

Why would I deprive my Son, of having my Spyder.... I love it and so will He ..... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Holy Smokes, I've been a subscriber for years, sure won't be renewing at that price. Rider will be going under just like many other m/c mags. I understand they are pushing for digital readers and dump the print and mail costs, makes sense I suppose. Many prefer print, I do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's funny Traveler, my subscription is good for another two years, I'll be 90, then I'm done with Rider.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Actually, Rider is a 12 month magazine, so that would be $4.16/issue. That said, the current (1) year subscription is around $12 more than my expiring (3) year subscription. Too much? No, I could pay it, but finding myself more in front of a screen than sitting on a couch holding a magazine. Like a couple others have stated, thinking Rider is looking for a way to get out of print.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually, Rider is a 12 month magazine, so that would be $4.16/issue. That said, the current (1) year subscription is around $12 more than my expiring (3) year subscription. Too much? No, I could pay it, but finding myself more in front of a screen than sitting on a couch holding a magazine. Like a couple others have stated, thinking Rider is looking for a way to get out of print.
    Actually, all this time I was thinking we were talking about Roadrunner magazine, which is a different animal altogether! Sorry.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have to ask how a $49 per year subscription could have cost you 'thousands', unless you're counting merchandise you purchased as a result of reading their reviews...
    Your right on the money Pete. If I liked a review, I went and bought the bike a few times. I was into the "I gotta have me one of those" moods as I drooled through the pages. EG: They talked about the "new" 750 HondaMatic in 76 or so. I thought the concept of no clutch was way cool. It had a couple of gear ranges, activated by a foot pedal. I had one in my garage within a couple days after reading about it. Traded off the 350 Scrambler at the time. Not my favorite bike, acutally missed the clutching. Kept it a couple years and traded it off.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Don't EVER say " hanging it up " ..... I turn 75 in March, and my plan is for my Son to pry my cold, dead, hands off the Spyder. Then they can cremate me ............JMHO .... Mike ...............PS, today was day 19 of this season's skiing for me .....it was great we finally got some natural snow .....
    In this case "it" refers to the Rider subscription. The jury is out about the Spyder. So far my new F3's are one and two years old. Like new, and I see them lasting for at least five years more. We are still enjoying them very much. Don't think I will be buying new ones any more. But, I have also said that before. I will say though, that I will NEVER pay ridiculous premium prices for over priced toys to start with.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In this case "it" refers to the Rider subscription. The jury is out about the Spyder. So far my new F3's are one and two years old. Like new, and I see them lasting for at least five years more. We are still enjoying them very much. Don't think I will be buying new ones any more. But, I have also said that before. I will say though, that I will NEVER pay ridiculous premium prices for over priced toys to start with.
    Thanks for clarifying that ..... My 14 RT is my last Spyder also, it only has 66,000= miles on it, and it's fully dressed to my liking ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

If I had your money, I'd burn mine! If I were wealthy beyond my dreams, I'd pay too much for stuff too. But, alas, Fixed income warrants intelligent spending.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    If I had your money, I'd burn mine! If I were wealthy beyond my dreams, I'd pay too much for stuff too. But, alas, Fixed income warrants intelligent spending.
    I mistakenly thought we were talking about RoadRunner magazine. It's the only one I get any more.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Another sign of the times for those who subscribe to print. Experienced this with Rider magazine early in the pandemic
    " Rider publishes 12 issues a year, but reserves the right to change the number of issues in an annual term, including discontinuing any format and substituting and/or modifying the manner in which the subscription is distributed."

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Another sign of the times for those who subscribe to print. Experienced this with Rider magazine early in the pandemic
    " Rider publishes 12 issues a year, but reserves the right to change the number of issues in an annual term, including discontinuing any format and substituting and/or modifying the manner in which the subscription is distributed."
    Yup, no doubt about it, the world as we knew it is coming to an end.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep Pete, it sure as 'use a bad word here' is. I'm on the lookout for a time machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Yep Pete, it sure as 'use a bad word here' is. I'm on the lookout for a time machine.
    Would you use it to go backwards, or forwards into the future?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At 88 years, no question, backwards.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At 88 years, no question, backwards.
    How far?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tough question, maybe 30 years.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tough question, maybe 30 years.
    For me, I'd like to go back to 1964 but with what I know now.
    2014 RTL Platinum