Spyder Garage

Default Anyone Removed the Left Hand Multifunction Switch? Help?!?

I have a 2018 Spyder RTL I bought in 2020, they say a backorder for a new switch will be in March sometime. So, I bought a new one on Ebay. Has anybody in this forum replaced their switch? I have started and looks like a lot of plastic has to be removed just to get to the wiring.

Thanks for any help,
    ron
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-07-2022 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldspyder View Post
    I have a 2018 Spyder RTL I bought in 2020, they say a backorder for a new switch will be in March sometime. So, I bought a new one on Ebay. Has anybody in this forum replaced their switch? I have started and looks like a lot of plastic has to be removed just to get to the wiring.

Thanks for any help,
    ron
    If you haven't already I strongly recommend you buy a service manual for your Spyder. Go to www.canammanuals.com. It has step by step instructions for doing projects such as this. It'll be some of the best $30 you'll ever spend on your bike.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you haven't already I strongly recommend you buy a service manual for your Spyder. Go to www.canammanuals.com. It has step by step instructions for doing projects such as this. It'll be some of the best $30 you'll ever spend on your bike.
    ...... but until it arrives, you can see all the parts involved by looking at a FICHE' ( like at cheapcycleparts .com ) .....good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Pretty sure, when ours was replaced under warranty, the shop removed the entire upper console. This allowed them to get easier access to routing wires and to the connector. Because of all the bodywork removed, and then raising and removing the top center console, it was about a 4 hour job.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldspyder View Post

Thanks for any help,
    ron
    Mine went Tango Uniform on me. Took it to the dealer in Oct to be replaced under warranty. Seventy nine days later, still waiting. The good news we had hit with a good snow storm, so I couldn't ride it even if I wanted. So I guess they can hang on to it till spring.

For all I know it's still sitting in a container on a ship someplace off the west coast. From what I was told electronic components come out of Asia and the supply chain fiasco is hurting everyone.
    Last edited by gkamer; 01-07-2022 at 06:36 PM.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I've done it on a 2012 RTS. It's a big job, but not too difficult. The upper console needs to be tilted forward, but does not have to be removed. Get the manual. It has excellent step by step instructions.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!