Spyder Garage

Angry Rear spring/shock bottoms out onto the rear tire - 2021 Rally

How do I choose the right spring/shock so rear doesn't bottom out onto the rear tire - 2021 Ryker Rally?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-07-2022 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

Depending on the weight load, you can adjust the rear spring tighter. I have mine set at a little over 5/8". You can also adjust the compression by setting it at number 3 or 4, depending on load.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    Depending on the weight load, you can adjust the rear spring tighter. I have mine set at a little over 5/8". You can also adjust the compression by setting it at number 3 or 4, depending on load.
    How do the different ways of adjusting it affect the shock (and ride) differently?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by apgacivil View Post
    How do I choose the right spring/shock so rear doesn't bottom out onto the rear tire - 2021 Ryker Rally?
    How do you have your preload set now??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBear View Post
    How do the different ways of adjusting it affect the shock (and ride) differently?
    The Ryker Rally comes with adjustable suspension and adjusting it will effect the ride quality. Compression damping helps the suspension absorb bumps or road irregularity as the wheel moves upward in the stroke. Rebound damping helps the suspension return to the proper position, after a bump or other irregularity causes the suspension to compress, in a smooth and controlled motion. Too rapid of a movement or too slow of a reaction will cause the machine to handle poorly. I'd suggest that you use Google and research moto suspension to understand sag, preload, compression and rebound damping, and then you'll have a good idea of how to set your suspension based on your needs and load.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    The Ryker Rally comes with adjustable suspension and adjusting it will effect the ride quality. Compression damping helps the suspension absorb bumps or road irregularity as the wheel moves upward in the stroke. Rebound damping helps the suspension return to the proper position, after a bump or other irregularity causes the suspension to compress, in a smooth and controlled motion. Too rapid of a movement or too slow of a reaction will cause the machine to handle poorly. I'd suggest that you use Google and research moto suspension to understand sag, preload, compression and rebound damping, and then you'll have a good idea of how to set your suspension based on your needs and load.
    I appreciate your response and I will do some research. I believe the way I worded my question was too vague (or maybe not). I meant to ask how changing the setting on the shock vs adjusting the spring differed. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBear View Post
    I appreciate your response and I will do some research. I believe the way I worded my question was too vague (or maybe not). I meant to ask how changing the setting on the shock vs adjusting the spring differed. Thanks
    The spring carries the load. The dial adjustment changes the hydraulic dampening (as explained by RykerRick). If your Ryker is bottoming out. You need to adjust the spring pre-load by turning the setting ring nuts on the shock body. You can also stiffen the compression setting by turning the knob on the hydraulic valving. Setting the pre-load higher will help resist bottoming by increasing spring force (resistance). And increasing the compression setting will help slow the collapse rate of the shock. This helps to counteract inertia built up by the shock collapsing too quickly. I would go for more pre-load and just a little compression dampening to start. Then adjust each again if necessary.

Shocks are highly technical. People go to school to lean this magical art. Anyone who says they know it all, is probably lying, or deluded.

Good luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I just got a new 2022 Ryker sport. The rear shock is not working after 150 miles. There is NO compression or rebound dampening no matter what setting I adjust it to. Just thought I would pass that on to anyone else that seems to be having a problem. Will talk with my dealer later today. Keep you posted.
    I do have knowledge about shocks. Have been a mechanic for 50 years. Just ion case someone wondered.
    2021 F3S , Grey/orange

Spyder Garage

I made my rear (FOX) shock around one inch longer - Can-Am uses for the Rally 2022 longer shocks - or you take the one from shock-factory in France, they are also longer now !
    (cheapest is, to add spring-limiters inside the shock)

https://shock-factory.fr/fr/17-amortisseurs-pour-can-am
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Chris56 where did you get the extension bracket from ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joeblow View Post
    Chris56 where did you get the extension bracket from ?
    That's made in Italy (aluminium) - but some make their brackets out of Iron... simple part, I do not understand why nobody is offering something like that - everyone who rides 2up needs it!!
    I bought this expensive FOX for the back, and they told me I also have to change the Spring to the "performance" Version - too much work, the Riser was installed in 10 minutes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-16-2022 at 02:00 AM. Reason: their brackets... ;-)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I made my rear (FOX) shock around one inch longer - Can-Am uses for the Rally 2022 longer shocks - or you take the one from shock-factory in France, they are also longer now !
    (cheapest is, to add spring-limiters inside the shock)

https://shock-factory.fr/fr/17-amortisseurs-pour-can-am
    I do not see how this bracket would be a resolution to bottoming out. It might keep you from hitting the fender, if that was a problem. But it isn't going to change spring rate or dampening. The shock will continue to bottom out as before. Maybe I'm missing something?

Spyder Garage

That's made in Italy (aluminium) - but some make their brackets out of Iron... simple part, I do not understand why nobody is offering something like that - everyone who rides 2up needs it!!
    I bought this expensive FOX for the back, and they told me I also have to change the Spring to the "performance" Version - too much work, the Riser was installed in 10 minutes...
    Thanks but do you have a company name or model for the bracket, I would like to source it from some one here in Canada

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I do not see how this bracket would be a resolution to bottoming out. It might keep you from hitting the fender, if that was a problem. But it isn't going to change spring rate or dampening. The shock will continue to bottom out as before. Maybe I'm missing something?
    BajaRon. Ì think he has issue most of us get with two up riding, hitting fender. " How do I choose the right spring/shock so rear doesn't bottom out onto the rear tire - 2021 Ryker Rally"

Joeblow, amazon search " shock extender motorcycle" find you many to chose from. I ordered 2 different ones at the price it was worth it to see what fits best. I'll be putting on soon.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

... The Shock will still " bottom out ", it should prevent the tire from doing damage to fender or other parts ..... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

right - my problem was the cuts in the closed fender (its a 900 std) and she also touched the swingarm with the Fox control-Modul.. very noisy !! I prefer a very "soft" adjustment, so I have to accept that she bottoms out on some roads like here in the Alps ! the only solution would be the Air-shock from Italy, some use it for the Ryker, but its not cheap ..
    (I contacted them ... )

https://airtender.it/airtender-kit/

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

right - my problem was the cuts in the closed fender (its a 900 std) and she also touched the swingarm with the Fox control-Modul.. very noisy !! I prefer a very "soft" adjustment, so I have to accept that she bottoms out on some roads like here in the Alps ! the only solution would be the Air-shock from Italy, some use it for the Ryker, but its not cheap ..
    (I contacted them ... )

https://airtender.it/airtender-kit/
    Have you considered replacing the Spring ????? ....just a thought .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Have you considered replacing the Spring ????? ....just a thought .....Mike
    tested it - much too hard .. not useable for longer tours, the FOX is Ok, but for 2up FOX has also a high performance spring, my dealer did not know that, when I ordered it ..

Spyder Garage

I have a spacer for the 600 & 900 Ryker rear shock that should be ready next week. I am working on a Rally spacer now. I don't yet have a production date for it. Aluminum materials have been difficult to get lately.

Spyder Garage

I have a spacer for the 600 & 900 Ryker rear shock that should be ready next week. I am working on a Rally spacer now. I don't yet have a production date for it. Aluminum materials have been difficult to get lately.
    sounds great !! all 2up Riders are waiting for that ..

Spyder Garage

I was almost going to suggest "someone" build a specific one for our Rykers, can't wait till you get the Ryker version done! Ps installing your swaybar kit as soon as I have down time.