Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Started my rally after 2 months

I winterized my ´19 Rally 2 months ago. Today i was bored and decided to start the machine. Battery was inside, I just had to screw both terminals and push the start botton. The machine came alive instantly! I love this toy. Cant wat to ride it again… i let it idle for 3-4 minutes and saddly I had to shut it off… 😢 until next time….

Spyder Garage

Glad had no problems however needs to do more than idle

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know but it has snow on the ground… and salt on the road so i ll wait for that!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Construction tech View Post
    I winterized my ´19 Rally 2 months ago. Today i was bored and decided to start the machine. Battery was inside, I just had to screw both terminals and push the start botton. The machine came alive instantly! I love this toy. Cant wat to ride it again… i let it idle for 3-4 minutes and saddly I had to shut it off… 😢 until next time….
    They say you don't awaken hibernating bears and bikes, cuz bad things can happen. Condensation is a bike's enemy
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

It's good to hear your bike started right up.....as it should. But you did exactly the worst thing you can do to your beloved toy while waiting for good riding weather. Best to avoid the temptation and let it sleep in peace until you're ready for a good ride for at least an hour or two..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Most agree with the following.

Bikes in hibernation should be left alone. A battery tender charger is recommend. When I was in Alaska, hibernation season was from November to late March/early April. My Spyders always started on the first try.

If you are going to warm them up...they should be run on the road (not ideling) for at least a half hour. That is usually enough to get all the fluids circulating properly. Stop/starts for a few minutes can cause condensation. That is not good for the Spyder or Ryker.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-05-2022 at 09:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I know you were anxious and ambitious to hear your baby roar, but doing that is the worse thing you can do because it creates condensation in the engine which is a bad thing, plus idling it made things even worse because you did not give it time to get hot and discharge the condensation that it creates. As others have stated, you need to leave the baby sleep until it is time to wake her for the season.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ve been doing this since I was 15 years old (i m 50 now) on my skidoos or motorcycles… never ever had that condensation problem or an engine seized! Even my old polaris ATV that I was using 2-3 times during winter for snow removal for a decade never had that problem… sold it at almost 30000km ( same engine but 3 clutches��)! So I wont call it BS but i ll keep doing what always worked for me! But still appreciate the advice!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ve been doing this since I was 15 years old (i m 50 now) on my skidoos or motorcycles… never ever had that condensation problem or an engine seized! Even my old polaris ATV that I was using 2-3 times during winter for snow removal for a decade never had that problem… sold it at almost 30000km ( same engine but 3 clutches��)! So I wont call it BS but i ll keep doing what always worked for me! But still appreciate the advice!
    I seen this WHOLE Thread going this way! I knew you were in for a lot of advice from the gallery! Really, they are all very friendly and trying to help, they mean well!
    Last edited by Knizar; 01-05-2022 at 10:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Let's consider just one item of many that gets negatively affected; the motor oil. Oil is hydrogenous and absorbs atmospheric moisture. That moisture will only "burn off" when the oil reaches its highest operating temperature and is maintained for at least a half hour. It takes about 20 minutes to reach that temp. A start and short idle causes water separation that rests on lubricated engine parts. You were lucky all those years that the damage never got bad enough to be noticed.
    Then there's the exhaust syst.... Oops, I said just one.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

The OP has spoken. More advice is only going to cause arguments among us.

RE: Advice

When a person asks, you can plan on receiving answers from all over. Some advice is better than other. The good side, it's all free of charge and adds to our many discussions.

There are even some who give a double your money back guarantee if the advice is not as good as one would like.

There is some advice that I take with a grain of salt and I am set in my ways and do what I am going to do anyway.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-06-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Or, we could keep piling on and convince the poor guy that he's destroyed his machine due to an errant moment of longing for better days....
    -2021 Ryker 900

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    They say you don't awaken hibernating bears and bikes, cuz bad things can happen. Condensation is a bike's enemy
    X's 10 ..... for more reasons than I want to type ..... Good Luck .... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

( mostly deleted after reading post #11 ) ..... good luck ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-06-2022 at 01:47 AM.