Spyder Garage

Default GS shock suspension questions

I'm looking at upgrading the shocks on my 09 Spyder GS. I've done alot of research on the threads/posts here, as well as elsewhere on the web and have learned quite a bit. Elkas and some of the other shocks out there are too pricey for me. I ride 2-up frequently and the stock shocks seem adequate but I really don't have any reference point for comparison, as this is my first Spyder. I've logged over 200K mi on two wheels and recently made the switch to 3 and will never go back! Questions I have are: Will any of the factory or aftermarket shocks for the F3 fit the GS? The reason I ask is that there seem to be many more affordable options available for the F3 than the GS. Is there any way to cross reference other shocks to fit based on matching up dimensions, spring weight/rate, and travel? There seems to be alot of good quality brand name shocks available for the ATV/UTV markets and they seem to be more reasonably priced. Not trying to be a cheapskate, but trying to explore all options out there without dropping a ton of $$ into my current ride. Want to put a few thousand miles on my GS in the upcoming year and if all goes well, upgrade to a newer F3 next year. Thanks for any advice!

Spyder Garage

There are a few ways to go for the older GS. The OEM 2011/2012 RT Shocks work well. They have the added benefit of being adjustable. The newer RS, RSS, ST & F3 shocks will also work. Anything is better than the OEM GS shocks.

I have a pretty good source for OEM parts. If you are interested, I can quote you a price. Then, if you can beat it, you know you're getting a good deal.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the response. Will the f3 2-up oem rear shock work? I did read that the oem f3 front shocks will fit but are about 5/8” longer than the stock GS shocks. I am interested in your parts source that you mentioned. I really appreciate and value your advice/opinions. BTW, I just received your sway bar and links and will be installing it in the next week. Won’t be able to give it a test ride for a while though due to the weather up here in NH. Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie556 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Will the f3 2-up oem rear shock work? I did read that the oem f3 front shocks will fit but are about 5/8” longer than the stock GS shocks. I am interested in your parts source that you mentioned. I really appreciate and value your advice/opinions. BTW, I just received your sway bar and links and will be installing it in the next week. Won’t be able to give it a test ride for a while though due to the weather up here in NH. Thanks again!
    I do not believe the rear shock will work. But I have not verified this.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...