Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    With the willingness of some here to pay more than a product is worth, I've decided to offer my '20 RT Base w/sway bar, shocks, tires, PV3, PC, heated seat, DRLs, etc. for a mere $26,000 USD OTD. Delivery extra.
    In reality, Ray, what your first line should have said is -

“With the willingness of some here to pay more than “what I think” a product is worth”

Some out there will feel that, to them, the product should be cheaper than what YOU think it is worth, while others will feel happy to pay more than what YOU think it is worth, as that is what the product is worth to THEM. That is simply a fact of life. If you ask $26,000 and get no takers, you drop your price. If you get several offers, you up the price to $27,000 to see who among the interested feels it is worth that to them……or would you consider getting that extra grand in your pocket, price gouging on your part? …… it isn’t, it is simply market supply and demand.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Not relevant because it doesn't fit your agenda.
    I agree. The gentleman never even said what industry his Japanese company was part of.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

If I read p38's original post, it seems like the $2500 is being tacked on more like a luxury tax because "they can". All new vehicles are subject to shipping/destination charges, so there's no surprise there, but are these fees unreasonably greater than last time we all bought our vehicles? Paying over MSRP always gave me heartburn, so I don't (especially for vehicles). I wanted a particular luxury watch for Christmas, but everybody including eBay was charging about 50% over MSRP because they can. Supposedly supply is tight, yet I had no trouble finding one. I found a different brand for less that wasn't sold for 150% of MSRP. Back to Rykers - my dealer gave me a great deal over a year ago. I don't even know what the "setup fee" was, but it wasn't much. Perhaps BRP should bake the setup fee into the MSRP if they can't ship them assembled. I do know I would have walked away if the dealer presented a scenario where I had to pay $2500 more than I expected because of "market conditions". I had already gone to a dealer 40 miles away because my local one had zero interest in selling me anything or even offering a test ride. I understand the comments about this hobby not being cheap and dealers needing to stay alive however they can if they don't have enough product. However, there is also a reason there is intense hatred out there for some auto and powersports dealers. Some of them are just bad players exploiting people's emotions. I understand p38's frustration. Not everybody having this hobby is made of money (I'm NOT directing this at p38), and things like "markups because we can" are seriously disappointing to people who thought they could get a piece of the pie based on what now seems to be an artificial MSRP. Tacking unreasonable fees to the MSRP just rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by p38wannabe View Post
    So I bought a 2021 600 last year and was ready to upgrade but the current setup fees are a no-go for me. Here in the Dallas, TX area, they are asking $2500 in freight and set up and when asked about it, the explanation I was given was because of market conditions they have no problems charging that.

Guess the 600 and I are not parting anytime soon ... lol

Has anyone any experience lately with dealer fees?
    -2021 Ryker 900

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
    I agree. The gentleman never even said what industry his Japanese company was part of.
    It's not motorsports. Might as well be comparing apples to propane tanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 01-06-2022 at 12:38 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With most of the BRP dealers renegotiating their dealer agreements here in Australia, it may be safe to assume the same happened in the US. They have some pretty tight sales numbers, so if it were me I'd be letting the "gougers" hang themselves and buy from those that dont.

Mind you we are seeing dealerships of any brand of car/bike/truck/ATV/watercraft doing the same due to supply issues
    Last edited by askitee; 01-06-2022 at 02:20 AM.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it is a static cost then why is it not factored in on the base price?

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    If it is a static cost then why is it not factored in on the base price?
    I agree. Dealers adding arbitrary fees because they're having a bad year reminds me of prohibiting a credit card unless you spend a certain amount, "18% gratuity automatically added for parties over 8 people", and finance people adding payment protection (insurance) to your car note without asking. It leaves you feeling sour.
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
    I agree. Dealers adding arbitrary fees because they're having a bad year reminds me of prohibiting a credit card unless you spend a certain amount, "18% gratuity automatically added for parties over 8 people", and finance people adding payment protection (insurance) to your car note without asking. It leaves you feeling sour.
    RE: payment protection insurance charges: Most contracts have a special signature line that must be signed by the buyer. You will be pointed to it when you get to the "sign here" part. I am careful to look at everything I am signing. I actually have fun with this one. I always thank them for pre-filling it out and always tell them, no way. Purchase of this extra is NOT a requirement to get the loan. i tell them if I crash the bike or car that's your problem, not mine. It is a profit making add on by the dealer.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-07-2022 at 12:41 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    RE: payment protection insurance charges: Most contracts have a special signature line that must be signed by the buyer. You will be pointed to it when you get to the "sign here" part. I am careful to look at everything I am signing. I actually have fun with this one. I always thank them for pre-filling it out and always tell them, no way. Purchase of this extra is NOT a requirement to get the loan. i tell them if I crash the bike or car that's your problem, not mine. It is a profit making add on by the dealer.
    Right. I got burned by that many years ago in my 20s. I saw it later and had them redo the contract and take it off. I think it was adding $7 to my payment or something. These days, you have to decline their requests to add paint and various other extended warranties at time of sale. They wanted to sell me crap that amounted to $300 per month added to my already awesome payment when I bought my F-150. That alone is a car payment for some people!
    -2021 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

I see on the Can-Am site that there is a " commodity surcharge" plus freight and taxes.
    Anyone know what a " commodity surcharge is ?
    Never heard of it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I see on the Can-Am site that there is a " commodity surcharge" plus freight and taxes.
    Anyone know what a " commodity surcharge is ?
    Never heard of it.
    There's a whole 'nuther thread on that!

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ight=Commodity
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I had a good experience my dealer got their ryker in before the raise in extra shipping charges. I only got charged around 700 instead of the new rate. I paid list for the bike. No gouging on my purchase. Guess I am lucky.

Spyder Garage

Hi EchoVictor, where/what dealership did you purchase from. I’m looking to get one if possible. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Hey k,

I wound up going with K&W Cycle out of Shelby Township. Talk to Jeff Siladke. He was very up-front and direct with me.

If I wouldn't have done the deal with K&W, the next best place that I got good response from was Nord Ride in Mt. Morris (which is a fair bit closer to you).

Good luck,
    EV

P.S. Which model you going after?

Spyder Garage

I’m thinking the Rally but could possibly settle for the sport. I really like that they added cruise control to them. I’ve owned a 2009 RS Spyder as well as a 2016 RTS Spyder but missed 2 wheels and went back to them. Currently ride a 2016 Versys 650 but have liked the Rykers since they came out. Never have ridden one yet. Hoping to go to bike week in Daytona come March and get a demo ride on the Ryker. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Last time I talked to the guys at K&W, they said they were getting six Sport models in sometime around February. I figure ours is included in that number, so he'll have five more left that might be unspoken for.

Later,
    EV

Spyder Garage

Default Ryker markup

Quote Originally Posted by p38wannabe View Post
    So I bought a 2021 600 last year and was ready to upgrade but the current setup fees are a no-go for me. Here in the Dallas, TX area, they are asking $2500 in freight and set up and when asked about it, the explanation I was given was because of market conditions they have no problems charging that.

Guess the 600 and I are not parting anytime soon ... lol

Has anyone any experience lately with dealer fees?
    Try Fremont Motorsports in Florence colorado . They don’t charge any set up , freight fees .,just local taxes . 2022 ryker 900 sport = 11,999

Spyder Garage

Just a reminder for folks thinking about buying new.

The Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) on a Ryker is a fair bit more involved on the dealer's end than your usual new car.

They're got to uncrate the bike, and then do a bit of final assembly in their shop.
    Here's a good video that shows everything the dealer tech has to do;

After watching this, I was more understanding of my dealer charging me at least a little something for freight/delivery....
    (just not over $2k worth like some guys wanted to charge me!!!).

Later,
    EV
    2022 Ryker Sport, 2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, 2007 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 2023 KTM 390 Duke

Spyder Garage

Call I motorsports you could trade in your bike there'll pick it up and bring you your new bike your to your house it was the best experience I have ever had. They are on spyderlovers main page.
    Last edited by jtoro1; 04-06-2022 at 05:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

When I bought my Ryker in 2019, I don't think my dealer charged me for freight and assembly. They also gave me 25% off any accessories I bought at the same time and gave me free installation--so I loaded up with everything I wanted.

3 years later I decided to upgrade to a Spyder. I went back to the same dealer and this time they aren't waving freight and assembly and no discounts or free installation on accessories. Considering the environment we're in, I feel like that's all fair--I asked about discounts and they basically said "sorry, not this time." Looking at my invoice, I paid $765 commodity surcharge, $685 freight, and $430 assembly--total of $1,880. They did not toss on an extra "$1,000 markup to MSRP because we can" surcharge, which I appreciate (honestly, I probably would have kept my Ryker until the stock situation improved if they'd done that).

Honestly, I feel bad for dealers. My dealer only sells Can-Am products so I have no idea how they're staying in business right now. I went to one of the big regional dealerships last weekend and they had a small selection of used bikes, but almost nothing new (they're one of the mega-malls that sells Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, BMW, KTM, Ducati, Vespa, Can-Am, Polaris...you get the idea). In the past when I've gone there, the showroom had just about one of everything from every dealer on the floor--it was sad last weekend. Dealers who do add the extra "because we can" fees will still sell the inventory because someone will want it badly enough now to pay it, but long-term it could backfire when people tell their friends "I like my motorcycle, but the dealership took advantage of me so I'll never go back there."
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I wish they (that Fremont Colorado dealer) delivered to Pennsylvania. haha
    Last edited by dale001; 04-06-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Best deal I was offered on a 2022 Rally in Dallas was 16.8k, so I opted to buy a 2021 with 920 miles for 9.5k.
    Loads of funds left over for custom mods now!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    When I bought my Ryker in 2019, I don't think my dealer charged me for freight and assembly. They also gave me 25% off any accessories I bought at the same time and gave me free installation--so I loaded up with everything I wanted.
    I just signed a contract on a new 2022 Spyder RTL in October and got this exact same deal. There are still good dealers out there. It was delivered to the dealer this week but is waiting on one part before they take it out of the crate and assemble it. For sure I did not pay any freight or assembly charge.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Navydad,
    IMHO your's is the best reply to any post on the forum.
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dale001 View Post
    I wish they (that Fremont Colorado dealer) delivered to Pennsylvania. haha
    There are dealers in PA, or at least one, that does not charge these fees. I purchased my S2S last year with no fees and almost 2000 off MSRP. Things may be different now though.