Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Gouging on 2022 Ryker models

So I bought a 2021 600 last year and was ready to upgrade but the current setup fees are a no-go for me. Here in the Dallas, TX area, they are asking $2500 in freight and set up and when asked about it, the explanation I was given was because of market conditions they have no problems charging that.

Guess the 600 and I are not parting anytime soon ... lol

Has anyone any experience lately with dealer fees?
    2022 900 Rally , black

Spyder Garage

I would be waiting too. There is a point where ridiculousness and gouging merge. I think we are getting close here.

I would suggest shopping with some of the mail order/delivery places and see what they will do on pricing. The word seems to be out...Texas is not customer friendly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

That is crazy. I am having a hard time even finding out when the new 22s are due to arrive around here. I can't even find out what the delivery/set up fee will be on them.... Thinking I am going to pull the trigger on a 21 Rally as I am growing impatient.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Dealer Gouging on 2022 models"?

Why is it people love free market capitalism until it adversely affects their pocketbook? These dealers aren't 'gouging'; they are taking advantage of economic anomalies wherever they can. The American economic system is based on each individual pursuing their own self-interest with the idea that the consumer marketplace will eventually sort itself out. It's considered to be the most efficient way of allocating scarce resources (like new Spyders).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    "Dealer Gouging on 2022 models"?

Why is it people love free market capitalism until it adversely affects their pocketbook? These dealers aren't 'gouging'; they are taking advantage of economic anomalies wherever they can. The American economic system is based on each individual pursuing their own self-interest with the idea that the consumer marketplace will eventually sort itself out. It's considered to be the most efficient way of allocating scarce resources (like new Spyders).
    A slight "beg to differ" with you.

IMO...of course...Taking advantage is just a kinder way of saying gouging.

We the customers, will surely sort these people out.

Hopefully BRP also has an eye on this. There may come a time when the consumers decide to sort "them" out. Quite a few are now saying, not this year, etc.

My tag line on my profile used to say "Consumer Advocate." Maybe it is time for me to go back to that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-04-2022 at 01:08 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Any business that 'takes advantage' and raises prices 'because they can' will never see my money. It's a free economy and I'm free to direct my cash to fair dealers that don't just live for today.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

2022 are already out and some already have them on the showroom floor, there are at least 3 dealers in the Dallas area that have the 2022 Rally on the ground. I get your point with the free market, hence I will just wait, not willing to pay mark up, which is essentially what this is. They already have profits built-in at MSRP. Like you said, eventually, they will run out of stupid folks to pay that. On that note, one dealer quoted me now 1500 for freight and set up, still too high in my book but I guess there will be some willing to negotiate.
    2022 900 Rally , black

Spyder Garage

I bought my RT in Sept 2020. The dealer ate the freight and setup at that time. If he hadn't, I'd have walked. These are toys in my mind and I'm willing to wait or look elsewhere when faced with 'profiteers'.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I bought my RT in Sept 2020. The dealer ate the freight and setup at that time. If he hadn't, I'd have walked. These are toys in my mind and I'm willing to wait or look elsewhere when faced with 'profiteers'.
    Yes, but for every customer that “walks”, another one will come in and pay what’s asked, so walking doesn’t really impact the dealer, Ray. They wouldn’t be increasing costs if they weren’t selling them fairly quickly.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I'm not walking in protest. I'm walking because I don't like the price. I'm happy to pay a fair price for my toys and there's always someone selling something I can kill time on.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 01-04-2022 at 07:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just out of curiosity, how many people here would refuse a great deal on a bike that a dealer needs to clear out because the dealer will loose money on the deal? Are we gouging when we take advantage of a glut of product to pay less than we ought to?

How about selling your used unit, either to a private party or to a dealership? Would you bring the price below "market" because it cost that much two years ago, and will likely sell for significantly less a year or two from now?

When the supply is correspondingly low, that's where everything gets flipped. That also means they have fewer units to sell, but need to bring in the same amount to cover their overhead and make a profit (that's how the owners get paid). So, of course the units have to cost more.

Bad service, dishonesty and manipulation are different things, but prices are what prices are.

I don't love the higher costs, either, but it's about supply and demand, and I don't think we can fault the dealerships for it.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    How about selling your used unit, either to a private party or to a dealership? Would you bring the price below "market" because it cost that much two years ago, and will likely sell for significantly less a year or two from now?

Bad service, dishonesty and manipulation are different things, but prices are what prices are.

I don't love the higher costs, either, but it's about supply and demand, and I don't think we can fault the dealerships for it.
    I have sold high priced cameras and rifle scopes for less than "market value" because I didn't need or want them and sold for about what I paid. To me that was fair.

Certain dealerships will deal others not so much. Berts Mega Mall got my sale, where Spirit in San Jose lost a customer over bad customer service. Del Amo Motorsports and Tri County were at least honest and nice so I would consider them, even though we couldn't come to terms.

I work for a large international Japanese company. Our supply has dwindled as our products are stuck on the ships. What the company hasn't done is raise prices.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I have sold high priced cameras and rifle scopes for less than "market value" because I didn't need or want them and sold for about what I paid. To me that was fair.

Certain dealerships will deal others not so much. Berts Mega Mall got my sale, where Spirit in San Jose lost a customer over bad customer service. Del Amo Motorsports and Tri County were at least honest and nice so I would consider them, even though we couldn't come to terms.

I work for a large international Japanese company. Our supply has dwindled as our products are stuck on the ships. What the company hasn't done is raise prices.
    Different industry. Not relevant.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm not walking in protest. I'm walking because I don't like the price. I'm happy to pay a fair price for my toys and there's always someone selling something I can kill time on.
    Yes, I understand that Ray, but the reason for you walking doesn’t matter to the dealer as someone will walk in or call after you have left and will buy the Spyder at the advertised price.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

There is a huge difference between increasing profits and price gouging. Price gouging is illegal in some states on certain products. If your dealer is gouging now, imagine what they are going to do to make up for the loss in revenue when the supply increases. A shyster is a shyster. For the guy claiming supply and demand, the law equally applies to all markets (it isn't pick and choose).

People remember things like this, some of the dealers will go belly up. This happened about 10 years ago in a hot tractor market (when ***** decided to mess with diesel tractor emissions), some of the biggest individual seller names at the time went bankrupt once supplies became available. In about 2006-2008 dealers couldn't sell a pickup truck, now they want more than msrp, then they will have excess inventory. Sometimes their greed impacts that market.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I remember seeing cars at a dealership being marked directly on the window sticker (Market Adjustment $10,000). All I can do is shake my head. If they are able to sell for that price, more power to them. But no, I will not pay over sticker, and yes, I will dog them out to every potential customer that I can get a word in with. I have a 2002 ford lightning. Now that the new lightning is marked for production and is to be electric, I am seeing trucks like mine (approx. 85k miles) sell for more than you could buy a brand new one for in 2004. But if I was to sell mine, I would ask a fair price, but not looking to gouge anyone. I have been riding for 15.5 years now and am on my 18th bike. I have sold all but one to individuals. On each one, I have walked away feeling good about my sell price, and truly believe that the buyer was happy also. When prices are high, just wait. No need to rush into a deal that you might regret.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Owning a motorcycle dealership is not a guaranteed paycheck every month. Some months you get the bear, some months the bear gets you. 10 years ago we had five independent bike shops here. HD and the Big Four were all represented. Today we have none, zero, zilch. This has happpened all over the country because you can't make a decent living at it. A lot of the big multi brand mega shops aren't turning much profit either, but they are backed by whatever corporate entity owns them at the moment probably for a tax write off. If I was a dealer I would charge whatever people are willing to pay. If some thought it was high and walked away so be it because others are paying. We want our dealerships to cut us a break on a new bike, keep a million dollars worth of parts and accessories on hand for our convenience, have the best techs in the business preferably working for minimum wage, and give a huge discount on parts. What are they supposed to do? Pull all of this out of their ear. These type of posts are amusing to me and I am as guilty as the next rider. We are willing to pay hundreds for pretty lights or a worthless piece of chrome and then can't wait to show it off or brag about it. We get a price for filters, fluids, or necessary maintenance and we squall like mashed cats. Motorcycling is not an inexpensive sport. Even if you don't ride much you still have a lot tied up in that expensive butt jewelry in the garage. I see this same stuff on boat forums, camping forums, etc. etc. It ain't cheap playing in America.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Different industry. Not relevant.
    Not relevant because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Spyder Garage

Passing the current high cost of freight & shipping on to the consumer isn't price gouging, its business. As the consumer, you have the choice to accept that cost, try to negotiate a lower cost, or walk away. Its not just Can Am dealers, open your eyes and look at what the dealers are charging in the automotive industry, it makes that additional freight charge that the Can Am dealers are charging look like chump change. Its way up in the two wheel moto industry also.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    Passing the current high cost of freight & shipping on to the consumer isn't price gouging, its business. As the consumer, you have the choice to accept that cost, try to negotiate a lower cost, or walk away. Its not just Can Am dealers, open your eyes and look at what the dealers are charging in the automotive industry, it makes that additional freight charge that the Can Am dealers are charging look like chump change. Its way up in the two wheel moto industry also.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

With the willingness of some here to pay more than a product is worth, I've decided to offer my '20 RT Base w/sway bar, shocks, tires, PV3, PC, heated seat, DRLs, etc. for a mere $26,000 USD OTD. Delivery extra.

Spyder Garage

After seeing a few YouTube videos of how Rykers are shipped partially disassembled (wheels/tires off, nose plastics/shrouds off, alignment, etc.), I was much more forgiving for a bit of need for the dealer to charge something for set-up. They have to pay their folks after all.

That being said, when I ordered my '22 back in September, I did find a lot of variation bewteen dealers in the metro Detroit area. Anyhwere from around $1850 for the dealer fees, down to $600 (which is the guy I went with). Seeing that he also gave me a 10% discount on the $1500+ in accessories I ordered, I figured it was a worthwhile deal.

Call around, or be willing to travel a bit. You might find someone who is willing to earn your business....

Later,
    EV

Spyder Garage

A Free Market Economy - Freedom to participate is characteristic of a free market economy which any one individual can take part in or not. The decision to buy a Spyder or consume a particular product is totally voluntary. One disadvantage of a free market economy is that some businesses are driven exclusively by their profit motives and do not care about building customer relationships or loyalty for future business.
    I am a big "support your dealer" fan and work to build that relationship. This can help to ensure that dealership is there to assist you when issues arise with a product that falls into a grey area, for example whether an item or repair is covered under warranty. The dealership can go to bat for you. This has happened several times over my 44 years of having a motorcycle.
    When I went to the 2 local dealers in the area to purchase the RTL I went to both dealerships and based my buying decision on both price and how I was treated by the dealership. I also asked to meet the service managers and toured their service area to help with my decision. Admittedly the one dealer charging $1890.00CND freight and delivery fee vs $770.00CND by the other dealer made my choice easier. I also purchased accessory options from the dealer, who also provide a 20% discount and know I could have found these accessories cheaper from after market companies.
    I find there will always be advantages and disadvantages in a Free Market Economy.

Randy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the willingness of some here to pay more than a product is worth, I've decided to offer my '20 RT Base w/sway bar, shocks, tires, PV3, PC, heated seat, DRLs, etc. for a mere $26,000 USD OTD. Delivery extra.
    Unclear on the concept of 'worth' I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

"Worth" is What someone is willing to pay. Ten people, ten different ideas of worth. Advertise at that price and don't be surprised if you get calls. Can't speak for all areas, but Spyders are hard to come by in my area new or used and are bringing top dollar. Brings to mind the HD boom years ago. Our dealership was charging as much as $5000 over list price AND THE SHOWROOM WAS EMPTY!
    2015 RT , Black