Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Communication System Options?

Hi Everyone,

Back in 2013, I bought a Nolan Helmet N-COM communication system for my wife and myself. It has worked well, but most recently, I have had trouble finding a discontinued part for a speaker that went bad and have decided that it is time to just upgrade the whole thing.

I would like to get some feedback from those of you who have a helmet communication system to see what the current options out there might be. I am looking for new helmets and a new communication system. One thing I liked about the Nolan system is that the N-COM was integrated directly in the helmet, but I am open to any brand.

I appreciate any feedback that can be provided. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

We both love our SENA units. Mine is a SHOIE NEOTEC with built in system. Hers is the Sedici Systema II, with a built in system in it. Both work flawlessly and are easy to link up. Find a "Cycle Gear" store near you. They stock lots of helmets, and systems. And they have free returns. We both returned our used helmets because we didn't like the fit. No questions asked! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I would talk to Motorcycle Dave, hes got an add on this site.
    He is awesome!
    I got two Outeush helmets with built in Sena's! We love them!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    I would talk to Motorcycle Dave, hes got an add on this site.
    He is awesome!
    I got two Outeush helmets with built in Sena's! We love them!
    I second this. Dave has been an excellent, and very helpful, source in our opinions. In the spirit of full disclosure, we're Sena fans.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Have a set of helmets with Nolan n-com system. The one set I do not like. To noisy and about a block distance between bikes is the best we can do.

We favor Sena procducts. No noise interference, about two and a half blocks communication distance on the 10's. Have had the helmet add on version, and now have Bell Magnum helmets where they are built right in. Currently our favorites. The flip down sunshade is the cheesy part. The attachment clip breaks. I have gone through four of them in three years. Currently, a $9.98 part to fix. I have two more on order.

When rating all the communicator brands on SL...Sena gets high marks.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I went with Sena from Motorcycle Dave. Wife has the Outrush and I have the 10c evo.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-04-2022 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Space after . so that 'text to voice' s/ware can read it!
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

I use Cardo Freecom, and they work flawlwessy, easy to answer phone calls... never need that, ghegheghe, Music mutes when Gps is announcing a turn, but the most important, every conversation, is clear and more then loud enough.
    but it's personal, what you might like.

For me it was the price difference between carda and sena, carda had a better offer at the time, we needed new com system.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Back in 2013, I bought a Nolan Helmet N-COM communication system for my wife and myself. It has worked well, but most recently, I have had trouble finding a discontinued part for a speaker that went bad and have decided that it is time to just upgrade the whole thing.

I would like to get some feedback from those of you who have a helmet communication system to see what the current options out there might be. I am looking for new helmets and a new communication system. One thing I liked about the Nolan system is that the N-COM was integrated directly in the helmet, but I am open to any brand.

I appreciate any feedback that can be provided. Thanks.
    This year I bought a new Motorcycle helmet, I got a HJC I90, the helmet is full face,
    lightweight,

built-in speaker pockets,

and built-in channels for speaker wires and boom mike,

it also has a internal drop down sun shield,

blue tooth capability
    low profile. I started a thread about my new helmet.

I use a Sena 10S communicator, it is blue tooth capability.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

M/C Dave & Sena & we have Shark helmets. The Shark's full-face chin guard folds up over the back of the helmet out of the way so you have a clean smooth 3/4 helmet if you want.

Spyder Garage

2013..... ya maybe good time looking for new helmets, not just comms. Another vote for SENA & motorcycle Dave talk with him, find the unit suits your need best. Might even want the camera

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

IMHO integrated intercoms prevents re-use if/when you change lids. I have 4 helmets with sena 20-50 mounts and switch the Sena 50 as needed.
    If you only communicate with your pillion you won't need Mesh since BT will work fine between you two. If you ride with others, it's best to get the brand that the others are using. Both Sena and Cardo make very good Mesh systems for group rides but they struggle to talk to each other - if at all.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

i bought my wife and i the sena outrush r they come with bluebooth inttercoms , setting them up takes about 5 mins

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you are happy with the unit / brand you have ..... why not just get newer speakers, if you think they are the issue .... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sena has a Helmet called Outrush that has been real good and they will be come out with a new version called Impulse that you can read about here https://www.sena.com/product/impulse Motorcycle Dave is the guy that can help with any questions. The new Impulse Helmet looks impressive. I need to get a new one this year too.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Just a heads up that some cardio units are having issues connecting to the bikes. If you want to connect to the bike you might do a little research first.

Spyder Garage

Can anyone comment on the Sena or Cardo units and how they perform with a ¾ face helmet? My wife is claustrophobic and won’t wear a full face helmet. I’m thinking the wind noise would kill any hopes of decent communication with her and maybe reek havoc on the voice operated functions. I’ve put off buying a helmet com system for us because of this, anyone with experience with this situation?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Can anyone comment on the Sena or Cardo units and how they perform with a ¾ face helmet? My wife is claustrophobic and won’t wear a full face helmet. I’m thinking the wind noise would kill any hopes of decent communication with her and maybe reek havoc on the voice operated functions. I’ve put off buying a helmet com system for us because of this, anyone with experience with this situation?
    My Wife has a 3/4 helmet with a Sena 30K with upgraded HD speakers. Works great no Issues, she likes to listen to the radio also.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    My Wife has a 3/4 helmet with a Sena 30K with upgraded HD speakers. Works great no Issues, she likes to listen to the radio also.
    Is wind noise a problem when trying to communicate back and forth with each other?

Spyder Garage

My wife and I bought a Neotec II and a Shoei GT-Air II along with the Sena SRL2 system. I like the Neotec and she likes her GT-Air II. The SENA system was easy to fit myself to either helmet. So far they have worked really well. I don't connect either of them to the BRP Connect system, they just communicate between each helmet and our iPhones. I did try the BRP Connect system and it didn't seem to work as well as just communicating helmet to helmet and with the phones directly; it was much simpler that way. But there again, I don't use any GPS or maps software so I'm not quite sure how I will integrate that.

Before that we had a pair of Shoei RF1200's with Cardo communications. The Cardo was OK for its day, but the SENA showed how much further things have come in the last few years. The Shoei RF1200's were good too, but they reached their end of their lives and we replaced them.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Is wind noise a problem when trying to communicate back and forth with each other?
    No, we have not had any wind issues. She keeps her shield down most of the time (don't like bugs). I have a modular helmet and I do ride with it up when we are going slow around town (25 mph or so) and she hears no wind from my 30K either.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    No, we have not had any wind issues. She keeps her shield down most of the time (don't like bugs). I have a modular helmet and I do ride with it up when we are going slow around town (25 mph or so) and she hears no wind from my 30K either.
    Very good news, thank you. I have a bunch more questions on helmet coms but will hold off on asking so I don’t hijack the OP’s thread any further.

Spyder Garage

Very pleased with Schuberth C4 with integrated sc1 comm unit. Very comfortable and super quiet. Connects right to our phones for music and sound quality is excellent.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet Air Noise

Just by design your full helmet will be quieter than a 3/4 or 1/2 styles helmet.
    Choose the best choice for you.

Motorcycle Dave is the best for helping.
    I have the Sena 50S and full helmets. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have 3/4 helmets for our bike with Sena 30k, they work fine with hardly any troubles with wind, as long as you have the mic pointed in the right direction to your face and have the windsock over the end, plus there are some settings to adjust that help you out also!! We also have a set of 10's on our snowmobile helmets, they are full face helmets, and the system works well for that also, the sound quality may be a little better with the full face!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm Using a Bell Eliminator Helmet with a SENA 50R that I bought from MotorCycle Dave.

Very happy with my purchase, I am using the stick on microphone and my wife can hear me perfect even when at highway speeds when she is checking in on me.

I haven't had a chance to use the mesh or bluetooth coms yet so I can't comment on those. I also love the fact it has a built in FM radio that I can bounce in between local stations with and not have to mess with the phone.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black