Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fraugher View Post
    Could you tell me why I should use 10W40 instead of 5W40,
    In case that wasn't part of the joke -

Do you ride in weather cold enough to justify 5W? If not, then there's no benefit in using 5W.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-HdFsoBGU

Here is what I found, If you find any- PLAN AHEAD

T.P.

Spyder Garage

when it was on sale a couple of years ago really cheap I bought 10 bottles of the stuff. I guess that was a good move now that it has become unobtainium.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Check with O'Reillys auto part store near you if you have one. They might have it. Here where I live they show they have rotella t6 at store I go to .

Spyder Garage

My local Tractor Supply also stocks it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Just in case you need a lot of it, Comolube.com sells Rotella T6 15W40 Full Synthetic in 55 gallon drums? Enough there for a lifetime of Spyder oil changes I think.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

10-40w Valvoline currently in mine. No T6 locally, the diesel guys just scoff it up when it hits the shelves.
    BRP specs the 5-40w because that's what is used in their snowmobiles. They sell and service a lot more sleds than Spyders so it's a one size fits all oil for their 4 strokes and the bottom 5 number for the ones that have to start in subzero temps.
    As long as any oil is JASO approved for wet clutches your go to go in our machines.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

No T6 at my local WalMart.

I found T6 at HomeDepot below the cost at Walmart
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    No T6 at my local WalMart.

I found T6 at HomeDepot below the cost at Walmart
    ......Thanks ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Spend a bit more on either Amsoil 10w40 m/c or Mobile 1 10w40 4T and you'll be even better off However, if you insist on staying at 5w40, this might be a considered option .. https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power...s%2C132&sr=8-2
    Castrol is essentially what Triumph puts in my twins and triples. Seems to do the job and I suspect most of their triples put way more stress on the oil than the 1330 Rotax. The Rotax being dry sump-ed will have a much greater oil capacity, less problems with oil starvation with sideways g-forces on cornering, and a more constant oil temperature. So, anything truly fully synthetic, approved for wet clutch systems and endorsed by a name brand motorcycle manufacturer who "recommends" 10,000 mile oil change intervals is highly unlikely to cause a 1330 Rotax to grenade due to oil related failures with 5,000 mile oil and filter changes. With a 7,000 rpm rev ceiling and producing 115 bhp out of 1330 cc it is hardly the same stress on the oil as Triumph 1200 triples producing well over 150 bhp at 10,000 plus rpm.

If you change your oil regularly, more often if you abuse the red-line or live in a severe heat, cold and/or high dust climate, any choice of the major independent oil brands, or those of the big 6 motorcycle manufacturers will be just fine. I'm not going to lose sleep over which exact brand of high quality oil sits in the sump of my Spyder or motorcycles, or cars for that matter. I'm sure they are not all quite the same and have their own brand specific advantages and disadvantages, and differing prices too, but I think the vast majority of any quality brands are up to the task. I suspect any name brand oil with 5, 10 or even 15 W40 rating will work fine as they all run to the 40 rating when warmed up. If you live in Arizona or the likes I'm sure 20w50 will be just fine too.

If Triumph changed their oil supplier from Castrol tomorrow, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Same goes if Can Am changed their supplier for XPS. I think it makes about as much difference as filling street tires with air or nitrogen, to be honest.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post
    Castrol is essentially what Triumph puts in my twins and triples. Seems to do the job and I suspect most of their triples put way more stress on the oil than the 1330 Rotax. The Rotax being dry sump-ed will have a much greater oil capacity, less problems with oil starvation with sideways g-forces on cornering, and a more constant oil temperature. So, anything truly fully synthetic, approved for wet clutch systems and endorsed by a name brand motorcycle manufacturer who "recommends" 10,000 mile oil change intervals is highly unlikely to cause a 1330 Rotax to grenade due to oil related failures with 5,000 mile oil and filter changes. With a 7,000 rpm rev ceiling and producing 115 bhp out of 1330 cc it is hardly the same stress on the oil as Triumph 1200 triples producing well over 150 bhp at 10,000 plus rpm.

If you change your oil regularly, more often if you abuse the red-line or live in a severe heat, cold and/or high dust climate, any choice of the major independent oil brands, or those of the big 6 motorcycle manufacturers will be just fine. I'm not going to lose sleep over which exact brand of high quality oil sits in the sump of my Spyder or motorcycles, or cars for that matter. I'm sure they are not all quite the same and have their own brand specific advantages and disadvantages, and differing prices too, but I think the vast majority of any quality brands are up to the task. I suspect any name brand oil with 5, 10 or even 15 W40 rating will work fine as they all run to the 40 rating when warmed up. If you live in Arizona or the likes I'm sure 20w50 will be just fine too.

If Triumph changed their oil supplier from Castrol tomorrow, I wouldn't worry about it in the least. Same goes if Can Am changed their supplier for XPS. I think it makes about as much difference as filling street tires with air or nitrogen, to be honest.
    For Spyders it's NOT the engine that wears out the OIL .... it's that fact that the engine SHARES the OIL with the TRANSMISSION .... The tranny " shears " the oil much more than the engine ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Spot on Mike.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Being that Shell Rotella is a diesel oil have you thought about checking at a truck stop or a truck shop?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    For Spyders it's NOT the engine that wears out the OIL .... it's that fact that the engine SHARES the OIL with the TRANSMISSION .... The tranny " shears " the oil much more than the engine ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Yes, but so do all motorcycles I have owned too, well apart from most of the BMW's I had that had dry clutches. Given the increased oil capacity of the dry sump-ed Spyder over the motorcycles I've had, I think oil breakdown due to shearing will be less of an issue on the Spyder. All of my motorcycles have survived relatively high mileage no matter what the manufacturer recommended in oil type, so I'm still going to sleep soundly. I see old Suzuki GSXR1100's with high mileage and those things were air / oil cooled and I'm sure they really beat the oil up.

I managed over 90,000 miles out of my old Laverda 1200 Mirage in the 80's, and that thing was air cooled with roller bearings and ran its whole life on 20w50 mineral oil. I had a Honda VF1000R and I put a fair few miles on it in the 90's and that ran on what was then Honda's semi-synthetic oil. It was a complex V-Four engine with gear driven cam-shafts which really sheared oil, let alone the transmission.

If synthetic oil was suddenly unavailable tomorrow, I would still happily run a quality mineral oil in my Spyder, but drop the change intervals and not worry about it. I don't think I've ever had an oil related engine failure or even excessive wear on a 4-cycle engine in recent memory to be honest.

Yes, a good synthetic is the way to go in a Spyder obviously, but I'm not sure there is one best manufacturer's solution. Any quality brand with the right specifications will work just fine in my book.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post
    Yes, but so do all motorcycles I have owned too, well apart from most of the BMW's I had that had dry clutches. Given the increased oil capacity of the dry sump-ed Spyder over the motorcycles I've had, I think oil breakdown due to shearing will be less of an issue on the Spyder. All of my motorcycles have survived relatively high mileage no matter what the manufacturer recommended in oil type, so I'm still going to sleep soundly. I see old Suzuki GSXR1100's with high mileage and those things were air / oil cooled and I'm sure they really beat the oil up.

I managed over 90,000 miles out of my old Laverda 1200 Mirage in the 80's, and that thing was air cooled with roller bearings and ran its whole life on 20w50 mineral oil. I had a Honda VF1000R and I put a fair few miles on it in the 90's and that ran on what was then Honda's semi-synthetic oil. It was a complex V-Four engine with gear driven cam-shafts which really sheared oil, let alone the transmission.

If synthetic oil was suddenly unavailable tomorrow, I would still happily run a quality mineral oil in my Spyder, but drop the change intervals and not worry about it. I don't think I've ever had an oil related engine failure or even excessive wear on a 4-cycle engine in recent memory to be honest.

Yes, a good synthetic is the way to go in a Spyder obviously, but I'm not sure there is one best manufacturer's solution. Any quality brand with the right specifications will work just fine in my book.
    I apologize for not doing an internet search on what mtc's you've owned, or whether the ones you've owned did or didn't have Dry Sump systems. .... I just stated a Well known fact about Spyder engines ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Triumph motorcycles actually use Castrol Actevo 10w40 synthetic blend in their bikes. Dealers always recommend 10w40 full synthetic after initial oil change. Of all my current/past 29 bikes, only my H-D was not a shared sump bike.
    Last edited by troop; 05-03-2022 at 09:31 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So Troop, are you using the Blended Activo 10/40 Castrol in your F3?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    So Troop, are you using the Blended Activo 10/40 Castrol in your F3?
    Nope.. M1 10w40 m/c oil.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    I have always use Rotella F6 5W-40 in my Spyders and recently went out to purchase a couple of gallons to do a needed oil change in my 21 RTL. I went to 4 Walmart's that were all out of stock. Then I went to every auto parts store in the Myrtle Beach SC area who either did not carry Rotella F6 or were out of stock. Well, there is always good ole Amazon.....Wrong! They told me they were "temporarily" out of stock and gave me a February "tentative" ship date. Not sure what's going on at Shell. So, I have 2 questions..... 1. Is anyone else having this availability issue with Rotella and 2. Recommendations for an equal substitute? Thanks for your input guys.
    Vavline Full Synthetic 10-40 Motorcycle Oil
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

For me, as long as it is a name brand, correct weight and specification and changed at about 5,000 mile intervals in this hostile climate I live in - I don’t much care beyond that. I don’t have much brand loyalty, the bike will outlive me I think. After all it is a dry sump motor with a large oil capacity and is probably less stressful on oil than many of the other bikes out there. I sometimes worry more about oil filter quality to be honest.

Consistently using the brand and type a person has good experience with is obviously worth a lot in terms of peace of mind. I’m just of the view that all the vehicle makes on the market seemingly recommend different brands, yet within engines of the same performance envelope, they all seem to out last the rest of the vehicle if maintained correctly these days.

I’m just amazed that modern engines, with all their levels of performance can go as far as they do between oil changes and yet still run for hundreds of thousands of miles. Materials science and oil performance has progressed so far in 30 years. It’s mind blowing if you think about it.

Your mileage may vary of course.
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

I just picked up a few gallons at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Not the cheapest price I have seen, but close to it, and it was in stock.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Rotella T6 Oil

...Some Walmarts have it in stock/on the shelf.
    Saw it yesterday. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Shop manual calls for what Can-Am sells, not necessarily what is the best viscosity for your Spyder. BRP used to make a myriad of lubricants. Each tailored to the vehicle. Several years ago they cut their offerings down to 2. Which have to cover everything from snowmobiles to off road and on road vehicles. Snowmobiles require a very thin start up oil (the lower number of the 2). You can't compromise on that at sub-zero temperature startups.

Spyders rarely see a sub-zero start-up temperature (the temperature of the oil). Simply put, a 5/40 oil will work OK. But it isn't the best viscosity for our Spyders. A Spyder just doesn't need that light weight oil.

When BRP sold a 10-40 weight oil, they recommended that for the Spyder.

The wider the spread between the 2 numbers, the less stable the lubricant is. This is why you can expect a 5/40 oil to break down sooner than a 10/40. This is a universal fact. When taken all together. A 10/40 oil is a better fit for the Spyder than what BRP recommends. The engineers don't have the last say, as many imagine.

Good luck with your search!
    In the manual I have, XPS 4T 5W40 Synthetic blend oil, but I would tend to agree with Ron on the formulation. I've jumbled oils around in my old cars as well as my off-road Jeeps for a number of years, and have almost never taken the 'default' seriously. It's about what's best for the motor and the conditions in which you will subject the vehicle. I did a little looking and found this - Can-Am New OEM, XPS 1 US Gallon (3.785 L) 4T 10W-40 Synthetic Blend Oil, 779426 for $52 USD. So that would make the oil for an oil change at right about $60 to $65 USD. Still trying to figure out the part numbers/possible source for the O-Rings and seals, as well as the filter. Even with a K&N I can't imagine that the price of a filter and O-rings come up to the $140USD price of the "Can Am Oil Change Kit"...
    2021 F3 L , Stock Plugs (COILS, NOT WIRES!) Stock Brake Pedal Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb 15W-40 Rotells

As we are going on a long trip this summer, I've acquired some Rotella 15W-40 and a Baja Ron filter kit. I feel better with the slightly heavier base portion of the oil additive package. The 15 wt oil makes up most of the package and doesn't shear down much between recommended oil changes. The 40 wt part is a viscosity improver ( a heavy, long chain molecule that is " coiled" when cold and much longer when hot) . The VI can make up as much as 15% of the oil The VI is what breaks down ( shears) as the oil racks up the miles. There are lots of other additives in motor oil and the total additive package can be in the vicinity of +20% of the oil. Rotella T6 has a good reputation in the transportation industry.
    Last edited by Lew L; 05-29-2022 at 10:57 AM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow