Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Shell Rotella T6 Out of Stock! Any available? Any Alternatives?

I have always use Rotella F6 5W-40 in my Spyders and recently went out to purchase a couple of gallons to do a needed oil change in my 21 RTL. I went to 4 Walmart's that were all out of stock. Then I went to every auto parts store in the Myrtle Beach SC area who either did not carry Rotella F6 or were out of stock. Well, there is always good ole Amazon.....Wrong! They told me they were "temporarily" out of stock and gave me a February "tentative" ship date. Not sure what's going on at Shell. So, I have 2 questions..... 1. Is anyone else having this availability issue with Rotella and 2. Recommendations for an equal substitute? Thanks for your input guys.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Spend a bit more on either Amsoil 10w40 m/c or Mobile 1 10w40 4T and you'll be even better off However, if you insist on staying at 5w40, this might be a considered option .. https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Power...s%2C132&sr=8-2

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

FWIW, in analysis of each oil change since I started doing them after the 3K service I found that the Mobil1 4T sheared down much faster at shorter change interval than the Amsoil Metric 10W-40 which has not gone below 30 at the full 9,300 distance. Pandemic has me doing it annually vice 9,300 for second year in a row.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks Troop. Shop manual calls for a 5w-40 so it looks like the Castrol Power1 5W-40 will be my choice. It has the Jaso MA2 and exceeds the SL rating I'm looking for. Got 1 day free shipping from the big "A", so I'll change her in a couple of days.
    Thank you Jay, for your response also.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Thanks Troop. Shop manual calls for a 5w-40 so it looks like the Castrol Power1 5W-40 will be my choice. It has the Jaso MA2 and exceeds the SL rating I'm looking for. Got 1 day free shipping from the big "A", so I'll change her in a couple of days.
    Thank you Jay, for your response also.
    Shop manual calls for what Can-Am sells, not necessarily what is the best viscosity for your Spyder. BRP used to make a myriad of lubricants. Each tailored to the vehicle. Several years ago they cut their offerings down to 2. Which have to cover everything from snowmobiles to off road and on road vehicles. Snowmobiles require a very thin start up oil (the lower number of the 2). You can't compromise on that at sub-zero temperature startups.

Spyders rarely see a sub-zero start-up temperature (the temperature of the oil). Simply put, a 5/40 oil will work OK. But it isn't the best viscosity for our Spyders. A Spyder just doesn't need that light weight oil.

When BRP sold a 10-40 weight oil, they recommended that for the Spyder.

The wider the spread between the 2 numbers, the less stable the lubricant is. This is why you can expect a 5/40 oil to break down sooner than a 10/40. This is a universal fact. When taken all together. A 10/40 oil is a better fit for the Spyder than what BRP recommends. The engineers don't have the last say, as many imagine.

Good luck with your search!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-03-2022 at 05:40 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    FWIW, in analysis of each oil change since I started doing them after the 3K service I found that the Mobil1 4T sheared down much faster at shorter change interval than the Amsoil Metric 10W-40 which has not gone below 30 at the full 9,300 distance. Pandemic has me doing it annually vice 9,300 for second year in a row.
    I've seen it both ways, with Amz actually shearing down a bit quicker than the 10w40 4T in some analysis. . Either way, both will work, and both will shear much less than the Rotella 5w40. It's officially become an oil thread
    Last edited by troop; 01-03-2022 at 11:50 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I've seen it both ways, with Amz actually shearing down a bit quicker than the 10w40 4T in some analysis. . Either way, both will work, and both will be better than the Rotella 5w40.
    What is your bases for stating that the Rotella T6 5w40 is not as good?
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    "Oh Boy, Here we Go!"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    My basis is from the oil analysis' I've read on the motorcycle forum at Bob Is The Oil Guy. The majority consensus from those who used it, and had it analyzed, is that the Rotella T6 5w40 oil shears down in weight considerably after a few thousand miles. Does it work fine in the 1330cc motor? Sure, probably never any issues. It just becomes an upper 20w/low 30w oil after a few thousand miles. Lots of reading here when you search for it .. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/fo...lubrication.9/

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Some Auto Part store carry the Shell Rotella T6 oil, if not order it from Amazon!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by south GA Farm Boy View Post
    Some Auto Part store carry the Shell Rotella T6 oil, if not order it from Amazon!
    Must be a typo in the OP. He says F6 but that seems to be non-existent so he must have meant T6. The T6 is what he is saying is out of stock at parts stores and Amazon.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Amsoil VTwin 20/50

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oils

Lots of good tips on Oil.
    I am running Mobile 1 10W40 4T. This is a full synthetic oil and spec for your Spyder.

Your Spyder/Your Choice.
    Have yourself a great day. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Here we go again!!! Tires and oil, some way we could take them out of our diet???
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I stock up on oil when it"s on sale. That way I don't get caught short. Right now there doesn't seem to be any T6 on our Wal mart shelves in Utah either.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 01-28-2022 at 01:04 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I just a moment ago did a quick Google search.

One topic, a Dodge Ram site indicated that this shortage has been mildly long term, indicating his order in October was cancelled due to Shell not being able to supply the oil. The person posted that the company he was trying to purchase from had a back order of 750 Gallons from Shell.

In another topic, it was mentioned that Shell is discontinuing some of its Rotella products. Did not see T6 mentioned, but may be worth an inquiry to Shell.

Spyder Garage

It has been in short supply for MONTHS. But Amazon got a big shipment Monday and fulfilled my order for delivery Friday. They sold out again in just a few hours but they have more coming in. It will take a bit of time for Shell to refill the supply chain but its good to know its showing up again. A few folks on Facebook groups have also reported sightings at wal mart here and there the last week or so.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Also, if you have a Runnings or Tractor Supply store in your area, check them too!!

Spyder Garage

Support our site sponsor, Lamonster Garage.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    I have always use Rotella F6 5W-40 in my Spyders and recently went out to purchase a couple of gallons to do a needed oil change in my 21 RTL. I went to 4 Walmart's that were all out of stock. Then I went to every auto parts store in the Myrtle Beach SC area who either did not carry Rotella F6 or were out of stock. Well, there is always good ole Amazon.....Wrong! They told me they were "temporarily" out of stock and gave me a February "tentative" ship date. Not sure what's going on at Shell. So, I have 2 questions..... 1. Is anyone else having this availability issue with Rotella and 2. Recommendations for an equal substitute? Thanks for your input guys.
    Back in stock for T6 at Amazon, 1 Gallon bottles, pack of 3.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your discussion, is the Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 that everyone raves about the dark blue bottle that is indicated for Diesel engines? Thank you.

e8670611-68c3-492a-b939-b2896da47d7a_1.bbddf786129141a43c848a29acaebc7f.jpeg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fraugher View Post
    Thanks for your discussion, is the Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 that everyone raves about the dark blue bottle that is indicated for Diesel engines? Thank you.

e8670611-68c3-492a-b939-b2896da47d7a_1.bbddf786129141a43c848a29acaebc7f.jpeg
    Yep...
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thank you EdMat, excellent. Could you tell me why I should use 10W40 instead of 5W40, or why one brand is better than the other?? Haha, that's just a joke. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Must be a typo in the OP. He says F6 but that seems to be non-existent so he must have meant T6. The T6 is what he is saying is out of stock at parts stores and Amazon.
    I changed the information in the thread title to T6.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fraugher View Post
    Thank you EdMat, excellent. Could you tell me why I should use 10W40 instead of 5W40, or why one brand is better than the other?? Haha, that's just a joke. Thanks again.
    Actually I use the 15W40 version, but then our average temperature is a lot higher than yours.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange