Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RTL USB in the trunk not working. Any ideas? Troubleshooting?

I had a 2021 RTL for about 6months now and I just noticed the USB ports in the trunk don’t work. Is there an easy way to troubleshoot before taking it to the dealer. They just take too long to figure anything out.

I checked the fuses, and I removed the trunk to see if it’s connected. Both ok.
    Last edited by Steve669; 01-02-2022 at 08:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Did you check it with the bike running or the switch on?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Did you check it with the bike running or the switch on?
    I Checked with it running and in the on and off position. I replaced fuses just in case, but still nothing.

Spyder Garage

Just a bit more trouble shooting, Steve……have you checked to see if your trunk’s brake light is functioning?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The main harness is under the passenger seat, you might want to make sure that it is plugged up good and has not came undone. It's at the back where the harness goes into the trunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    The main harness is under the passenger seat, you might want to make sure that it is plugged up good and has not came undone. It's at the back where the harness goes into the trunk.
    Yeah, I thought the same, K80, but Steve says in his first post that he removed the trunk to make sure the wiring was connected. It will be interesting to see if his trunk brake light comes on.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, I thought the same, K80, but Steve says in his first post that he removed the trunk to make sure the wiring was connected. It will be interesting to see if his trunk brake light comes on.

Pete
    Oops.... I didn't go back and reread the 1st post. Thanks.

I'll look at the electrical diagram and see what I may can come up with.

To the OP. Did you check to see if the socket had a ground? Sometimes that is a issue in place of no power. If you have a test light hook the clip to a good ground point and recheck, if nothing else fasten a wire to the negative post on the battery and then check. You can also check ground with an ohms meter.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 01-04-2022 at 09:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

Ok all the trunk lights and rear lights are ran off of the same circuit as the USB, so like Pete asked, do you have brake light or any lights on the trunk or rear of the bike? Thats a starting point. For reference it's wire OG-20 also check the black wire for ground.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 01-04-2022 at 09:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys for the late reply. Dealing with that COVID stuff.

-My brake lights on the trunk work.
    -Removed the seat to further check connections and they are all connected.

I do get the message that the rear trunk is open and I can click the switch to make it go away, so I’m getting power to the trunk.

I just don’t have the inside trunk light and USB are not working.

I also did some readings with a multimeter. See pick below
    This is from the connectors under the trunk. If I did this right, the pins that go to the Inside light and USB are not getting any juice (red circle). I get readings from the other pins (green)

I don’t know where to from there.
    Trunk pins.jpg
    Last edited by Steve669; 01-07-2022 at 03:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

I would disconnect that connector check for any bent pins and reconnect it. Often that fixes problems like this.

Spyder Garage

the pins look good

Spyder Garage

This might help...

Top Case.jpg
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    This might help...

Top Case.jpg
    Hmmmmmm. So since BOTH the USB and the trunk light aren’t working, it looks like a break or disconnect where either the power or earth cable joins the trunk brake cluster cable? I am NOT an auto electrician……just my thoughts.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Since both the ground and +12v are common to the USB, trunk Light and tail/brake lights and the tail/brake lights are working then the problem would seem to be in the harness. Is there a place to check for voltage at the trunk light? If not then I think you'll have to remove that harness and see if it can be repaired other wise a new harness is probably the fix. Its likely a broken wire, ground or +12v inside the wire insulation, tough to find. Wiggling that part of the harness to see if you can intermittently get the trunk light to work would confirm.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve669 View Post
    This is from the connectors under the trunk. If I did this right, the pins that go to the Inside light and USB are not getting any juice (red circle). I get readings from the other pins (green)

I don’t know where to from there.
    Trunk pins.jpg
    Looking at the wiring diagram from Jetfixer I think the two pins with no reading are the leads that go to the top case switch. That is undoubtedly a low voltage signal connection, and may even be a digital signal that is intermittent. You need to check the voltage at the top case light connector and the USB connector. I suspect the wires are reversed on each one, hence neither one will work.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The USB doesn't work is a very vague observation. What are you expecting from the USB? If it's anything more than charging your smart phone then this may be the problem. It will not connect your music to the speakers. No one has suggested trying to just charge your phone.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

So far the USB in the trunk of our '21 RTL has worked fine to power the old LG phone that I use for listening to MP3s. Powers up with the bike, so I have to remember to power up the bike at least weekly to recharge the phone battery.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Sorry but I have been battling covid myself.

If you want to fix it you will have to start at the usb plug and work backwards till you find the break, be it either a ground or power issue. The orange wire coming out of the plug supplies power to the usb plug, light and brake lights. If one works without the other then there is a problem. These wires are so small that they are very easy to break.

My guess is that where the wire is spliced the 1st time is where the problem is.

Thanks to Jetfixer for posting the diagram while I was sick.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 01-09-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    The USB doesn't work is a very vague observation. What are you expecting from the USB? If it's anything more than charging your smart phone then this may be the problem. It will not connect your music to the speakers. No one has suggested trying to just charge your phone.
    Steve has said above that the inside light is also not working, Dudley, so there is more to it than just checking phone charging

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Looking at the wiring diagram from Jetfixer I think the two pins with no reading are the leads that go to the top case switch. That is undoubtedly a low voltage signal connection, and may even be a digital signal that is intermittent. You need to check the voltage at the top case light connector and the USB connector. I suspect the wires are reversed on each one, hence neither one will work.
    You may very well be on to something here. Since almost every 2020 RT came from the factory with the gps harness wires reversed, it's very possible that the 12+ and GRD are reversed in the connector...
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Well, this is well beyond my skillset. All the wires are wrapped, and I do not want to void the warranty. Thank you all for helping me out. You guys are great.

I am taking it in this week. Hopefully they don’t keep for about a month like they did last time. Last time I took it in my front left tire tore up the signal lights wires under the fender. Found out they forgot to put on protective plate (on both sides). Kind of makes me wonder what else they “forgot” to do?

Wish me luck!
    Steve

Spyder Garage

I case anyone was wondering, there was a wire that was spliced down the line. Not sure what that meant, but they fixed it.
    Steve

Spyder Garage

I wonder if when the top case was installed, a wire got pinched. It can easily happen.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The wires are very tiny, all it takes is a good pull and they will break, also if the wires were crimped at the splice, I have found them to be pinched into. Glad you got it fixed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve669 View Post
    I case anyone was wondering, there was a wire that was spliced down the line. Not sure what that meant, but they fixed it.
    Thanks for letting us know, Steve. So it sounds like the advice on here was correct, but it really did need your dealer to source the actual point of the break. Good to see it’s been sorted

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.