Spyder Garage

Angry “Gun Shot” & housing that holds CVT belt destroyed!

Hello today I went for a ride 10 minutes in I heard a loud bang almost like a gun shot !
    I thought to myself it sounds like the drive belt and I knew I would loose throttle, keep in mind I was doing 65mph so I went into the turning lane. Unfortunately I was stuck there until someone pulled up behind me and helped me push it into a safe place.

Upon inspection the housing that holds the cvt belt was destroyed something had gone through it I thought to myself if the belt snapped why would it impale the housing ?
    Than i saw a big thick metal circle protruding from the side! I got it towed to my local dealership and he said it looks like it is the clutch housing, but they will need to tear down the bike and diagnose.

Ryker has 6900 miles on it 2020 900 ace.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JaxBella View Post
    Hello today I went for a ride 10 minutes in I heard a loud bang almost like a gun shot !
    I thought to myself it sounds like the drive belt and I knew I would loose throttle, keep in mind I was doing 65mph so I went into the turning lane. Unfortunately I was stuck there until someone pulled up behind me and helped me push it into a safe place.

Upon inspection the housing that holds the cvt belt was destroyed something had gone through it I thought to myself if the belt snapped why would it impale the housing ?
    Than i saw a big thick metal circle protruding from the side! I got it towed to my local dealership and he said it looks like it is the clutch housing, but they will need to tear down the bike and diagnose.

Ryker has 6900 miles on it 2020 900 ace.
    WOW sorry to hear this ...... glad you were OK ..... keep us informed, I know the belts don't have a very long life but 6900 miles ......Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    WOW sorry to hear this ...... glad you were OK ..... keep us informed, I know the belts don't have a very long life but 6900 miles ......Mike
    I know it could of been a lot worst, my wife came to meet me up. Thank god no one was hurt the dealership was open and the tow truck took about 25mins to get to me.
    I will keep y’all posted, dealer said they will contact can-am to see what they could do.
    I’m sure it will be there a few weeks.

Spyder Garage

From years of snowmobiling, I don't think this is belt related, you had a clutch malfunction!! With this CVT set up, I would really get into the habit of checking the clutches and belt every second time I changed the oil, you will find a lot of belt dust and crap in there most likely that would be good to blow out of there and you get to see how your belts doing and weather it's time to change it out! Clutch bolts have been known to spin out, and things inside the housing are spinning very fast!!!! Glad you didn't get hurt, hope it was something simple!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    From years of snowmobiling, I don't think this is belt related, you had a clutch malfunction!! With this CVT set up, I would really get into the habit of checking the clutches and belt every second time I changed the oil, you will find a lot of belt dust and crap in there most likely that would be good to blow out of there and you get to see how your belts doing and weather it's time to change it out! Clutch bolts have been known to spin out, and things inside the housing are spinning very fast!!!! Glad you didn't get hurt, hope it was something simple!!!

I emailed the service manager and he said they are going to contact BRP to find out more. Even if it was just the belt breaking apart it should of never broken the housing cover. It looked like the metal clutch plate came out of place and that’s what caused the damage.

Spyder Garage

Weren't you having driveline issues a while ago, something that was traced back to a bent rear rotor.
    I don't know much about these machines, but maybe one problem caused the other by putting strain on the CVT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Weren't you having driveline issues a while ago, something that was traced back to a bent rear rotor.
    I don't know much about these machines, but maybe one problem caused the other by putting strain on the CVT.
    You are correct !
    Basically I went the cheap way and had a tire shop do the swap out for my rear tire. I basically jacked it up and took it off myself went to the shop and reinstalled the tire.
    But doing so the tire shop bent my rotor because they probably had no clue on how to handle this type of wheel with a rotor attached to it.

So the rotor caused vibration and threw a vss code.
    The dealer told me I needed to get the rotor replaced which I did.
    After I picked it up I still noticed vibration when taking off and in reverse but only at slow speed.
    Within 20 minutes of driving that when the explosion happened, but if the belt snapped why would it break through the housing ? It looked to me like the clutch came apart ?

Dealer said the vibration could of put a strain on the belt.
    They said it’s unusual for something to explode like that and break the housing.
    Hopefully BRP has some Insight to this issue, we will see.
    As of today the tech hasn’t even gotten to do “the tear down” and diagnostic of my bike.
    Like everyone they are short staffed and down 4 techs.

I will wait and see who knows how long the bike will be there.

Spyder Garage

That’s scary. Thank goodness you are ok and didn’t get hit by any debris.

Spyder Garage

Any updates on what happened ?

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yes
    Hi everyone
    I got it back on Saturday.

Basically the clutch got loose and flew out causing it to pierce thru the belt housing.
    Shop said they never seen something like this, so they reported to BRP which hasn’t responded yet to the claim.
    I’m hoping they would cover some of the expensive.

Bike drives great!
    After a month I forgot how fun the Ryker is to ride!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2022 at 03:22 PM. Reason: throw = thru ;-)

Spyder Garage

After reading this the $800 extended warranty doesn't sound so bad. Glad you got her back on the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JaxBella View Post
    Yes
    Hi everyone
    I got it back on Saturday.

Basically the clutch got loose and flew out causing it to pierce thru the belt housing.
    Shop said they never seen something like this, so they reported to BRP which hasn’t responded yet to the claim.
    I’m hoping they would cover some of the expensive.

Bike drives great!
    After a month I forgot how fun the Ryker is to ride!
    I would hope BRP will do something for you, seeing how there's only one reason for a clutch like that to come loose, and that's it didn't get tighten right!!!! Your very lucky it could have been a lot worse than it was, that thing is flying inside there!!! Keep us posted on the outcome!
    Last edited by Mikey; 02-13-2022 at 07:55 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone,
    I’m going to the dealer tmrw for them to hook up my bike to the computer to run a report for BRP.
    Let’s see what happen, fingers crossed ����

Spyder Garage

BRP covered all the parts!
    (1000$)

Spyder Garage

Sweet!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

What about the labor costs, If I remember wasn't the bike fairly new and still under warranty ?

Spyder Garage

It’s a 2020
    I bought it with 5900 miles