Spyder Garage

Default Looking for factory CB Wiring Diagram to help install a/mkt CB?

I am looking to replace the factory CB (2017 RT Limited) with a different one. I was thinking if I had the wiring pinouts of the BRP original maybe I could use a CB mounted in the trunk and leverage the PTT, headset mic, and speaks that the original BRP CB radio uses. I would have no need to change channels or adjust squelch or volume ( I think). But with the correct wiring I maybe able to make something for the volume and squelch. I know there are some handhelds mounted to the handlebars with or without BT, but not really what I want to do.. Thanks
    Thank you,
    Tommy
    2017 Grey RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Following

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to say but forget it. The BRP CB is controlled by digital signals through the Can Bus network. It also is the unit that takes the audio from the factory radio and sends it to the headset. The PTT is not a regular push button switch but rather a bubble switch on a processor board that sends digital signals to the CB.

Your most sensible options are a replacement OEM CB or a handlebar unit connected to a BT headset. The one from J&M I think is the best one but then you have to get a BT setup to convert the factory audio to BT.

Has your factory CB died, or do you just not like how it performs?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Sorry to say but forget it. The BRP CB is controlled by digital signals through the Can Bus network. It also is the unit that takes the audio from the factory radio and sends it to the headset. The PTT is not a regular push button switch but rather a bubble switch on a processor board that sends digital signals to the CB.

Your most sensible options are a replacement OEM CB or a handlebar unit connected to a BT headset. The one from J&M I think is the best one but then you have to get a BT setup to convert the factory audio to BT.

Has your factory CB died, or do you just not like how it performs?

Thank you sir,, I have had several issues with the OEM CB and the dealer has swapped it a few times (just under 1k each time). I did locate the builder of the CB and was going to sent the 2 "dealer said CB not working" ones to them to be tested. I just thought I could use the wiring to connect a standard CB in the trunk, using the bikes PTT and the audio interrupt via relay / cables. Maybe a lees frustrating way would be the ol handle bar mount. I'm just not a fan of the look.
    Have a safe day..
    Thank you,
    Tommy
    2017 Grey RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Thank you sir,, I have had several issues with the OEM CB and the dealer has swapped it a few times (just under 1k each time). I did locate the builder of the CB and was going to sent the 2 "dealer said CB not working" ones to them to be tested.
    What kind of issues do have with the CB? Is the CB currently in your Spyder the second or third one? If you still had/have problems with the replacement CB then it's likely something other than the CB radio unit itself. Dealers are not well versed in CB technology so you're better off to go to a CB radio shop, if there is one available to you. I sent my first CB to Radio Sound but they wouldn't touch it after they opened it up. I had had water inside. I don't recall if they charged for the diagnostic or not. They may repair yours, if in fact it is defective, for a flat fee.

Was the CB included in the deal when you bought the Spyder? If so it most likely is not one of the earliest ones which leaked water, i.e., 2010 to 2012 model years. If you bought it off eBay, or something of the sort, it may have been defective when you got it. There were 3 or 4 generations of CB units. You probably ought to check the part number on the CB to see which generation it is. I wouldn't put it past the dealer to install an older generation one.

Otherwise, a possible culprit is the headset cord. I went through a half dozen cords before I finally ended up getting a J&M headset that has been OK. The earlier ones were Air Ride and Edsets. The headset cord is prone to shorting out internally. Do you have the correct headset for the BRP CB? It needs to be one with a preamp built into the cord.

Also the antenna can be problematic. I ended up installing a No Ground Plane CB antenna from Firestik. The downside of it is it uses a 17 foot long cable that I managed to coil into a figure 8 under the seat. A round coil doesn't work. Make sure there isn't a bunch of thread lock on the antenna thread where it screws into the antenna block under the tupperware.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

What kind of issues do have with the CB? Is the CB currently in your Spyder the second or third one? If you still had/have problems with the replacement CB then it's likely something other than the CB radio unit itself. Dealers are not well versed in CB technology so you're better off to go to a CB radio shop, if there is one available to you. I sent my first CB to Radio Sound but they wouldn't touch it after they opened it up. I had had water inside. I don't recall if they charged for the diagnostic or not. They may repair yours, if in fact it is defective, for a flat fee.

Was the CB included in the deal when you bought the Spyder? If so it most likely is not one of the earliest ones which leaked water, i.e., 2010 to 2012 model years. If you bought it off eBay, or something of the sort, it may have been defective when you got it. There were 3 or 4 generations of CB units. You probably ought to check the part number on the CB to see which generation it is. I wouldn't put it past the dealer to install an older generation one.

Otherwise, a possible culprit is the headset cord. I went through a half dozen cords before I finally ended up getting a J&M headset that has been OK. The earlier ones were Air Ride and Edsets. The headset cord is prone to shorting out internally. Do you have the correct headset for the BRP CB? It needs to be one with a preamp built into the cord.

Also the antenna can be problematic. I ended up installing a No Ground Plane CB antenna from Firestik. The downside of it is it uses a 17 foot long cable that I managed to coil into a figure 8 under the seat. A round coil doesn't work. Make sure there isn't a bunch of thread lock on the antenna thread where it screws into the antenna block under the tupperware.

Well it was installed by the dealer when we got the new 2017 Limited late in 2017. Worked for a few months and started having issues where the CB would not TX but would receive. Swapped the CB module and seemed to have fixed it for a while. A few months later started having issue where after the PTT was released it stayed in active TX on the CB. We changed out the PTT assembly (my cost). This seemed to have fixed it for a while. The latest was back to the will receive intermit but not TX. Discovered if we connected the headset before bike power applied would work for a while. Replaced the J&M headset twice and the lower cord 3 time (Dealer said it was the headset) again my cost. The current is the CB would show TX on the dash but not TX out, no SWR reading. SO again I located a FULL CB install kit from a dealer that had it on the shelf, my cost. Was installed before Christmas. I pickup the bike and now the AM-FM will not work, no USB selections, and the CB breaks squelch at random and the PTT does not even TX on the display. SO It goes back to the shop on the 7th to see if they forgot to connect a cable, if not the issue; they will remove the entire CB kit (leaving the antenna) and I'm moving to handheld and BT solution. Thanks for the reply.
    Thank you,
    Tommy
    2017 Grey RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Well it was installed by the dealer when we got the new 2017 Limited late in 2017. Worked for a few months and started having issues where the CB would not TX but would receive. Swapped the CB module and seemed to have fixed it for a while. A few months later started having issue where after the PTT was released it stayed in active TX on the CB. We changed out the PTT assembly (my cost). This seemed to have fixed it for a while. The latest was back to the will receive intermit but not TX. Discovered if we connected the headset before bike power applied would work for a while. Replaced the J&M headset twice and the lower cord 3 time (Dealer said it was the headset) again my cost. The current is the CB would show TX on the dash but not TX out, no SWR reading. SO again I located a FULL CB install kit from a dealer that had it on the shelf, my cost. Was installed before Christmas. I pickup the bike and now the AM-FM will not work, no USB selections, and the CB breaks squelch at random and the PTT does not even TX on the display. SO It goes back to the shop on the 7th to see if they forgot to connect a cable, if not the issue; they will remove the entire CB kit (leaving the antenna) and I'm moving to handheld and BT solution. Thanks for the reply.
    I'm thinking you may actually have a defective audio unit. That's the only part you haven't replaced, and the problems continue.

The left hand module is a processor and communicates via Canbus to the radio. The radio then controls the CB unit, including the transmit function and the various squelch and volume sliders. My first comment above wasn't quite correct. The CB receives variable line level audio from the radio so USB, Aux, AM & FM, and Weather all have nothing directly to do with the CB. This is evident by the fact that the headset volume slider on the CB screen has no effect on the radio volume. The transmit and slider signals from the radio to the CB are in response to the radio receiving the Canbus signal from the MSL.

Have you checked to see if everything, except CB parts, works with the CB totally disconnected from the audio unit? This includes the entertainment harness.

Can you get your hands on a lower cord for the passenger headset? It has a PTT button on it that directly controls the transmit function of the CB without using Canbus signals or using the radio. Get it and plug your headset into the passenger connector and see if you can transmit that way. If the results of these latter two actions show the CB does in fact transmit, and the radio works as it should, then that is real strong indicator the audio unit is the one that is flaky. Something inside it goes into turmoil when the CB is connected to it.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 12-29-2021 at 05:53 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... The one from J&M I think is the best one but then you have to get a BT setup to convert the factory audio to BT.
    There is also an alternative that is so old-school that most people today don't even think of it, let alone consider it.

Skip the BlueTooth, use a wire to your helmet.

We don't have BT on anything that we use, with the exception of an external speaker that sounds better than my "phone" when I'm at home. No BT in use on any of our wheeled devices.

We have CBs on all our other bikes, so all our helmets are already wired. We often ride with our Goldwing chapter, all use CBs, virtually all are wired. It would have cost us MUCH more to convert all our other vehicles to BT than it was to just keep going old-school and put a J&M CB on her '17 RT-S.

Last edited by Steve W.; 12-29-2021 at 11:04 PM.
    HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Thanks great information, I have it printed and will address this as a possibility during my service appointment the 7th I hope.
    Thank you,
    Tommy
    2017 Grey RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Steve, copy, I may have to do just that. If I can't get BRP to fix this radio (that I have paid for a few times) I will look into the BT solution or have an ear bud and external mic with the handheld.
    Thank you,
    Tommy
    2017 Grey RT Limited