Spyder Garage

Default Does replacing exhaust & air filter need a computer Reboot?

Does replacing Air filter and two brothers exhaust require a 10 minute idle on a 2021 can am spyder rt to reboot computer

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Ivan. What you’ve heard is misinformation. The answer in NO. There is no such thing as needing to reboot the computer, needing to reprogram algorithms, or anything else. Your electronic fuel injection operates in what’s called “closed loop” mode. Meaning that the O2 sensor sends a signal back to the computer corresponding to the O2 concentration in the exhaust gas. Just like the other motor vehicles in your garage. When you make changes to your intake or exhaust, it’s no different than the weather changing or riding up and down a mountain road. The computer re-adjusts on the fly and takes care of itself. All you have to do is ride it. So go….ride it. Watch out for moose.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Smart Engine Computer

Just as posted, you do not need to change anything.
    The ECMs will take care of this.
    Ryde and Enjoy some 'wind therapy' my friend....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Their is only so much the stock ECU settings can do to adjust to intake/exhaust changes. Letting more air in and letting more air out will still ultimately lead to a little bit more lean fueling. Enough to cause issues? Likely not, but you might notice side effects, such as some exhaust popping on decel.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

As troop says the ECU can only adjust so much.
    Everything these days are tuned for emissions and run lean.
    My backround is motorcycles and rule of thumb was, change the filter Ok, change the pipe Ok.
    Change both should tune to run better.
    Moose on PEI ?????

Spyder Garage

The stock air filter is not very restrictive at all so changing it wont make any difference, not on this engine because its already a pretty good design. Changing the muffler without deleting the cat will up the noise level slightly but because the cat is still there you will still have some back pressure in the system and the cat by its nature acts like a muffler which is why many vehicles refer to their cats as primary mufflers or sometimes pre mufflers. The new muffler will probably have no effect on power, just noise level. Deleteing the cat has been reported many times to cause a noticeable loss of low end grunt unless you get a custom tune in your PCM.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-27-2021 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added spaces after punctuation so that 'text to voice' s/ware can read it! :-/
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    As troop says the ECU can only adjust so much.
    Everything these days are tuned for emissions and run lean.
    My backround is motorcycles and rule of thumb was, change the filter Ok, change the pipe Ok.
    Change both should tune to run better.
    Moose on PEI ?????
    I don't disagree. But, if the fuel trim adjustment DOES reach its limit, the ECU will set the Lean Code and light the CEL, so you'll know it. So, at that point, any exhaust popping is just minutia. If the code is clear and the light is off, you can know that the ECU has returned the AFR back to spec....which is 14.7 (+/- 5%)...which is back to where it was before he made any changes. That's the design. The ECU dos not need rebooted, reprogrammed or anything else. Short Term Fuel Trim makes the initial adjustment within seconds. The whole original point is that the whole idling thing is just a myth and he doesn't need to do any of that.

If he wants to do any tuning, he'll have to take other actions to change the mapping which comes with added costs.

Moose on PEI? What? I assumed he would ride off the island at some point.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 12-27-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info Guys If ever you travel to PEI it's a perfect place to enjoy PS no moose on island just flies

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Hi Ivan. What you’ve heard is misinformation. The answer in NO. There is no such thing as needing to reboot the computer, needing to reprogram algorithms, or anything else. Your electronic fuel injection operates in what’s called “closed loop” mode. Meaning that the O2 sensor sends a signal back to the computer corresponding to the O2 concentration in the exhaust gas. Just like the other motor vehicles in your garage. When you make changes to your intake or exhaust, it’s no different than the weather changing or riding up and down a mountain road. The computer re-adjusts on the fly and takes care of itself. All you have to do is ride it. So go….ride it. Watch out for moose.
    good info! thanks

Spyder Garage

When I change exhaust on my 2016 RT, I allowed it to idle for about 5 minutes before riding normally. Whether it made a difference, I guess I'll never know.....but it ran just fine either way.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White