Spyder Garage

Question 2020 RTL HELI BARS (not enough forward adjustment at the clamp)

I have the above year model and I'm not able to move the bars forward enough. The issue is the lowest part of your bars that are clamped to the triple tree, so the bars are just too low to close.

The other part of your bars that also allow forward adjustment and at the furthest point, that is not the issue.

Do they offer a different lower piece separately that would let me move the bars more forward?

The piece I'm talking about is the one that has the tiny hole on the bottom that fits in the clamps?

Tia,
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-25-2021 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine/size related!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Escorial View Post
    I have the above year model and I'm not able to move the bars forward enough. The issue is the lowest part of your bars that are clamped to the triple tree, so the bars are just too low to close.

The other part of your bars that also allow forward adjustment and at the furthest point, that is not the issue.

Do they offer a different lower piece separately that would let me move the bars more forward?

The piece I'm talking about is the one that has the tiny hole on the bottom that fits in the clamps?

Tia,
    Escorial, I have the Helibars on my 2021. That slot is effectively an alignment slot to fit into the nub to ensure your bars are centred. If you want to move your bars away from you a bit more, just use a Dremel to elongate the hole a little. You won’t need much (maybe 1/8”) to get an inch or two further forward at the top of the bars.

I did that to my last bars but haven’t needed to do it to the Helibars as I have found a comfortable position.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What Pete said.

Spyder Garage

How necessary is that pin in the bottom of the clamp?

I ask could it be simpler just to remove the pin?

Spyder Garage

The pin nub also acts as a safety mechanism to prevent the bars from unexpectedly pivoting forward or back. As others said, just using a Dremel tool to elongate the hole is a safer option.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I really do not know about that, as would all motorcycles have it? The clamps alone have a lot of force and I strongly doubt that is the reason for it.

More like its there so you are limited in the options of installing aftermarket bars.

It also would save a lot of disassembly time to get at the lower bar to elongate the hole in the bar which also may weaken it somehow.

Im going to run this by helibars and see what they think.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Escorial; 12-27-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

As already stated, the pin helps in centering the bar. slightly elongating the hole in the bar will not weaken it. The clamp is full length and provides more than enough stiffness.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

As I thought the pin is useless for safety , never heard of such a thing.

This is helibars response!
    Here is the response from our engineering team:
    "Most people want the bars closer so that’s why we favor that range. Tapping the factory dowel pin, in the lower handlebar clamp, down will allow you to rotate the bars farther forward. Just make sure the handlebar clamp screws remain torqued."
    Please contact us if you have any questions or need any additional information.

Spyder Garage

Escorial, sometimes people do not tighten their bars to the correct torque, meaning the bars can rotate forward and back if sudden pressure is applied. The nub/slot stop them rotating very far. That’s what Troop meant by “safety feature”. The nub also ensures the bars are aligned dead centre.
    p.s. it’s never a good idea to scoff at those who are trying to help you …. They may not bother in future

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Its extremely rare that it's done if or if so probably by a novice.

After all with all the makes of bikes on the road for the past xx years I never heard of a pin.

When in doubt leave it for a qualified dealer.

Just a after thought if the pin can be tapped down it may be able to be pulled out and reused if needed.
    Last edited by Escorial; 12-28-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

The risers manufactured and sold by BRP do away with the pin completely.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Great to know, so it's pretty useless otherwise to confuse me :-)

Would you have the install instructions ? I ask because would like to know if they suggest pulling the dowl pin out or just tapping it down?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Escorial View Post
    Great to know, so it's pretty useless otherwise to confuse me :-)

Would you have the install instructions ? I ask because would like to know if they suggest pulling the dowl pin out or just tapping it?
    I haven't installed mine because I don't even have my Spyder yet. I bought my risers used off of this site, so no instructions. I watched a video or read some instructions or both. In any case the area where that pin would locate the bars is open space in the casting. Top and bottom. The pin is completely gone because the factory casting that has the pin is removed from the bike. I would say the lack of the pin is no big deal obviously since that is how BRP designed the factory risers.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2022 RTL. I tried to install the Helibars, everything was easy enough, but I could not get the required length on the cables and had to put the original bars back on. I did remove the bracket at the bar clamp.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bcleland2 View Post
    I have a 2022 RTL. I tried to install the Helibars, everything was easy enough, but I could not get the required length on the cables and had to put the original bars back on. I did remove the bracket at the bar clamp.
    The cables are zip tied and you have to cut the tie to be able to pull out enough cable. Once the handlebars are off, look closely and you'll see the zip ties about an inch below where it goes under. Snip it and there's plenty to pull out.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bcleland2 View Post
    When you say the “bracket at the bar clamp”, is that the wire loom made out of what looks like metal coat hanger wire where the cables emerge under the dash, Bcleland2? Like Copperman, I also clipped the ties and it all works perfectly.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 10-25-2022 at 03:28 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Yes that is the "bracket at the bar clamp" I am referring to. Thank you and Copperman for your response.
    I will give that a try.