Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Build all the EV's you want, but there is not the infrastructure to support it.

Our current grid can't support the capacity of the load that EV's are going to throw at it.

The whole EV crowd is going to shriek when they find out that they bought a vehicle that they can't get power to.

One of the guys at work is going through this now with his HOA. People in town houses are now wanting to install charging stations in their front yards and run cords across the streets to the common parking area.

HOA : nope not allowed for obvious reasons and there is no electrical capacity nearby to install a charging station in the common area. One homeowner went ahead and installed the charging station at his house and is running the cord across the street causing all sorts of issues.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    One of the guys at work is going through this now with his HOA. People in town houses are now wanting to install charging stations in their front yards and run cords across the streets to the common parking area.
    I won't say stupidity but I will certainly say this is a lack of forethought. To purchase a vehicle that you can't charge in your own garage or wherever wasn't very bright to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by CloverHillCrawler View Post
    Build all the EV's you want, but there is not the infrastructure to support it.
    You know there was no infrastructure to support those newfangled horseless carriages either. Where could you buy gas? Nowhere. I guess we have seen where that headed. To a gas station on just about every corner of every town in this country. And plenty along the highways. Batteries will get better, last longer, and charge much quicker. Have no doubt about it, lack of infrastructure is NOT going to stop electric vehicles from being developed from here on out. Most industry experts predict there will be no internal combustion engines being produced at all in the next 20 years. The times they are a changing.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They can build charging stations on every freaking corner of America, but until these 'engineers' build a battery that do the trip miles needed.... no one wants to stop mid trip and spend hours reading a book while charging a battery, that is foolish thinking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    They can build charging stations on every freaking corner of America, but until these 'engineers' build a battery that do the trip miles needed.... no one wants to stop mid trip and spend hours reading a book while charging a battery, that is foolish thinking.
    I don't usually jump into the fray, but this is also a "hot button" issue for me.

There are a lot of complaints that the grid is now outdated and ready to fail at any time. The thought of all the additional electric vehicles drawing on the power grid will surely take it down. And then if we get a cold spell (remember last February)? We were 30 minutes away from rolling brown outs in order to save Texas from their major grid problem.

The other two complaints I see are range and price.

Currently with 200 mile expected range (IMO over rated like suggested mpg numbers on car stickers), that will take care of long trips. I don't do many 500 mile days these days...but...when I want to, I want to. And no way am I going to wait in line to get the use of a charger (which I am sure will take a credit card or similar to get a charge). Why do you think they call it a charge and not a free?

It appears that any electric vehicle can command an extra $20 grand or more. $75K for the Acrimoto is way crazy for what you get.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's the catch though, they can build these every 10 feet if they wanted to, but the amount of generated power along with the infrastructure needed to handle that capacity without melting down from heat (transformers, transfer switches, and wiring) to do rapid charging for the current amount of vehicles on the road on top of what the grid is supplying now is non-existent. Nor will it be anytime in the near future. Remember that great Infrastructure plan 0bama with Biden at his side had back in 2008? Yep neither does anyone else , that's how fast they will move on the current one. All lip service only this time everyone is buying into the lie with an EV.
    Last edited by CloverHillCrawler; 12-23-2021 at 03:52 PM.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

We are considering buying a new car. The only firm decision is it will be a 2 row SUV for the obvious reason; cargo space. The quandary is; what configuration will be under the hood? We don't want to go the plug in hybrid route and have to depend on there being a charger available, or installing one in the home. A hybrid is tempting, but they cost extra for more tech and complexity when the gas version of the same car gets only about 3 mpg less. The additional cost of a hybrid will buy a lot of that 3 mpg.
    Topping our list is the Hyundai Santa Fe. Great build quality, nice materials and finish on the interior, more standard goodies than the competition and it still has control knobs and buttons, so I don't have to depend solely on the touch screen. I've always been an American car guy, but the Santa Fe is tempting. Now to decide; gas or hybrid. Hmm. What say you?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Consider the Prius hatchback? Maybe not enough room for your consideration. I get avg 63 mpg on my hybrid, not a plug in.

Spyder Garage

Consider the Prius hatchback? Maybe not enough room for your consideration. I get avg 63 mpg on my hybrid, not a plug in.
    We kinda switched tracks here, but we pretty well covered the subject vehicle, IMHO.
    I like that 63 mpg, but you are correct, we are looking at a larger container. Our present ride is a Chrysler 300C and like the just right size for us.
    There are so many choices out there, even when pared down to the size we want. I welcome more suggestions, especially those based on ownership.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just as I thought after it was posted, sorry for the redundancy.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

From a resource conservation standpoint the absolute best option is hydrogen. Use solar generated electricity to disassociate the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in a water molecule. No resource consumption is needed to create the electricity (other than to manufacture solar panel infrastructure) and replace the water that was used by the water created when the oxygen and hydrogen are combined in a fuel cell or H2 burning engine. Solar energy is limitless as far as human needs go.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Topping our list is the Hyundai Santa Fe. Great build quality, nice materials and finish on the interior, more standard goodies than the competition and it still has control knobs and buttons, so I don't have to depend solely on the touch screen. I've always been an American car guy, but the Santa Fe is tempting. Now to decide; gas or hybrid. Hmm. What say you?
    It doesn't take long to get used to no knobs and buttons. The thing is I was going to trade in the 2018 Jeep Wrangler 2 door and get something with better gas mileage.The better gas mileage thing went out the window when I traded in for a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Actually I do get about 2 mpg more with the Trailhawk, and more room since I had a 2 door Wrangler; plus I can still go off roading. It did take awhile to figure out the GPS touch screen menu. Also, the ride is quite smooth.

You mentioned Santa Fe. How many different engine options are there? I could have gotten the 4 cylinder in the Jeep, which had better gas mileage. But, for me getting into the flow of traffic when entering the highway was more important, so the 6 it was. I thought about the Hyundai Santa Cruz, but didn't want to wait around for it.

The other thing that played into my choice was the Chrysler Employee discount, the military discount, and the loyalty discount. I love discounts.
    Last edited by wyliec; 12-25-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Wyliec...
    The wife just hijacked my plan with; What do they have that's smaller? That would be the Tucson. It has a 1.6 liter turbo four and the Santa Fe has a 2.5 L turbo four. Our granddaughter has a Kona with the 1.6 L turbo and it goes like a cat on fire. It's a hoot to drive too.

Spyder Garage

The limit for me is how big are the batteries, how heavy are they, how much range I will get at reasonable cruising speed and what is the recharge time. I know I can get 200+ miles on 5 US gallons of gas on my Spyder, and it usually takes me about 10 minutes to queue, fill up, and get ready to ride again and it gives me an easy cruising speed of around 70 mph, two up with luggage for 200+ miles. The energy density of gasoline is quite high compared with contemporary battery technology.

If an EV gives me approximately the same performance envelope, I would probably buy into it,even if it were say 25% more expensive. However, if the range, speed, load carrying capacity, recharge time, vehicle size and weight factors are not largely as convenient as the gas powered version, it would take a lot of persuading to get me to buy into an EV. I would however sacrifice a bit of range or a small factor of increased refill/recharge time, if the recharge sites were convenient and it takes less than say 10 minutes to charge to full. The reduction in normal servicing costs (apart from battery replacement) would make up for a bit of range loss or recharge time.

The reality is though, if fewer and fewer cars and SUVs run on gas, i.e. are indeed EVs, the fewer and fewer convenient gas stations there might be over time. Nobody is going to keep a gas station network going just for motorcycles and trikes as gasoline vehicles are replaced with EVs. So, if the switch to EV cars and SUVs really does happen, eventually motorcycles and trikes will have to follow suite. It might not be as a result of direct legislation, but as the result of legislation directed at other vehicle categories. I think it is a freight train coming and twenty years from now there might not be a lot of choice in the matter.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Default How long before Arcimoto are sued??

2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

What would they be sued for?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sduskin View Post
    ??????
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I am guessing not. The Japenese are very good at trying to copy other companies patented and copywrighted items. They may be close, but they will be different enough to satisfy the legal eagles.

The newest Acrimoto was discussed in a recent thread. It got pretty much a thumbs down.

Time will tell.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Wow that hurt my eyes, first you see the front of that contraption and then the back half gives you a kill shot. I think a warning would have been appropriate.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-01-2022 at 02:45 PM. Reason: spaces
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Sued? That would like trying to sue Hyundai because Ford already produce a 4 wheel car.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

The big difference, among many, is front wheel electric motor drive vs gas engine powered rear wheel drive.

Spyder Garage

I'm sure they looked at the patents first before forging ahead. I personally welcome the competition, if their is any.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like a Spyder pickup.