Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Arcimoto - They're at it again

Yes, those rascals over at Arcimoto are at it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTwtwnrLRGY
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Looks like it grew on the Ugly tree! It'll give the Cam-Ams a bad reputation.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Looks like it grew on the Ugly tree! It'll give the Cam-Ams a bad reputation.
    To the contrary; Side-by-side that fugly thing will make a Spyder look absolutely gorgeous.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

The Spyder looks really great, especially next to that monster!

Dave T

Spyder Garage

Another Spyder look alike. My $75,000, will be used for other things.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Couple of thoughts..... Having body framework OUTSIDE the tupperware makes for impossible cleaning. I wonder what make of tires they come with. Sure don't look like Kendas. Even the sales guy (reviewer?) did not have all good things to say about this ugly POS. I don't expect we will begin seeing these on the roads soon, if at all...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I will just stick to my Spyder. For the price of their 3 wheeler you can buy a Can Am Spyder and not be limited to your range of battery power. The Spyder is a lot better looking too. Hopefully people will not confuse this thing for a Spyder.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

OM

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Couple of thoughts..... Having body framework OUTSIDE the tupperware makes for impossible cleaning. I wonder what make of tires they come with. Sure don't look like Kendas. Even the sales guy (reviewer?) did not have all good things to say about this ugly POS. I don't expect we will begin seeing these on the roads soon, if at all...... Jim
    Actually Jim, they are ALREADY on the roads, selling for $23,900 or there-abouts (USD? Canadian $$ - ) - maybe not in the thousands yet, but I believe there's some hundreds sold & on the roads already! Not here in Oz yet tho....

So they're beginning to make (tiny??) inroads on the North American market with this AND with their less cargo capable 'roll-cage equipped' Fun Utility Vehicle too! (Yeah, those too aren't 'pretty' either! ) Arcimoto are pretty serious about getting their electric Reverse Trikes out there (regardless of their looks ) unlike someone else who's been promising us an electric Spyder since before 2010 and has yet to actually come up with the goods And that's despite trotting out the same old chestnut every now & then in an effort to convince us they're serious! Still, I reckon I'll waiting....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-22-2021 at 07:37 AM. Reason: ...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Definitely pass !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Partzman23 View Post
    I will just stick to my Spyder. For the price of their 3 wheeler you can buy a Can Am Spyder and not be limited to your range of battery power. The Spyder is a lot better looking too. Hopefully people will not confuse this thing for a Spyder.
    I was thinking the same thing. It says the range is 175 miles. How does speed effect battery range. Does the faster you go use more battery power thus lowering the range you can travel? I don't know.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. It says the range is 175 miles. How does speed effect battery range. Does the faster you go use more battery power thus lowering the range you can travel? I don't know.
    The range will drop for sure based on speed. My guess at 75 mph you would get less than a 100 mile range.

Spyder Garage

It's got great company in other areas!

We had incidents where we had to pump for 24 hours. This after driving quite some distance. That's why we had 2- 50 gal. saddle tanks. I suppose this is why it needs a diesel engine 'Extender'. I hope this works out for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I sure don't like the Look of it , its WAY too Long , and the deal with an Eng. for each front wheel , 2 eng's mean twice the chance of an Eng. breakdown . and even with 2 eng's still very little HP . sooooooooo , they can count me out for sure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh my, not another 'extension cord' machine. People that build these EVs are determined that 'we' buy them. I'm digging my heels in on that.

Spyder Garage

Can-Am is trying to come out with their EV Spyder by 2024. They have stated for sure they will have EV's in all their product ranges (on road, off road, snow, and water) by 2026. I am really looking forward to getting one. I am all about EV's. No question this is the wave of the future.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The range will drop for sure based on speed. My guess at 75 mph you would get less than a 100 mile range.
    Larry is absolutely correct. Manufacturer ratings are extremely overrated. Expect about half what they estimate when riding in real world situations.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Can-Am is trying to come out with their EV Spyder by 2024. They have stated for sure they will have EV's in all their product ranges (on road, off road, snow, and water) by 2026. I am really looking forward to getting one. I am all about EV's. No question this is the wave of the future.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

im willing to bet that wont have a pulley failure due to using the gearbox as a brake

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    im willing to bet that wont have a pulley failure due to using the gearbox as a brake
    Spyder's don't either!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

sure (wink wink)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Spyder's don't either!
    sure (wink wink)
    Think about it fatboy - the 'pulley on splined shaft' design has been around almost since the inception of shafts & pulleys; and today, there's likely millions of 'pulley's on splined shafts' actually in use on motorcycles & in all sorts of other applications, many of which allow if not actively call for the 'gearbox to be used as a brake' both as a concept & in their specific application....

And just how many of the millions of 2-wheeled motorcyclists that currently use their 'gearbox as brake' do you think have any issues with 'pulley on splined shaft' failures similar to those some Spyders are currently experiencing?? How many of the other applications where there are pulleys on shafts & gearboxes or drivelines that get used as a brake do you think have similar failures?? If you think it's a lot, then you're kidding yourself - the real answer to those questions is NOT TOO MANY! Another question - Do all or even any other 'pulley's on shafts' where the gearbox/driveline can be or is used as a brake have this inherent pulley/shaft failure problem?? The answer to that question is now & has been almost since the concept of installing pulleys on splined shafts found a practical application is a resounding NO! So for you to ascribe using the gearbox as a brake as the cause of this failure on Spyders is sorta pulling a long bow!?!

But if you want to keep kidding yourself that despite the millions of pulleys on shafts out there in use where the gearbox &/or driveline is used as a brake without a statistically significant failure rate isn't indicative that there's something else going on with this issue on Spyders, then go right ahead.... only be warned, if you keep pushing that idea out there, you should probably expect most people to treat that idea with at least a fairly healthy dose of scepticism!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-22-2021 at 05:43 PM. Reason: similar... :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    But they just keep on teasing us with stuff like this!!

Now I'm all for properly testing & making sure that a new design/product doesn't have any silly little issues or inherent problems; and I'm certainly not a fan of using the customers/purchasers of a newly designed & released product as unpaid 'testers' &/or crash test dummies, but I reckon there's a fair few of us out here who'd REALLY like to see something like this 'in the flesh' if not actually on the road so that we could look, touch, feel, & listen to it; maybe even take it for a spin.... Heck, if we could do that, we might even be prepared to place an order, maybe even pay a deposit.... And all we've seen from BRP about an Electric Spyder for quite a few years now are things like that vid - teaser after teaser; then repeat - again!!

Just look at how many punters have signed on to Arcimoto &/or paid a deposit! And at the way they're actually getting machines out there too, even if they're not yet selling to the general public in too many places!! . BRP shouldn't be playing around in the barn with EV's for too much longer, if they want to be a part of this then I reckon they NEED to get something physical & viable out there PDQ, cos it's pretty obvious from Arcimoto's increasing market that despite how ugly their versions are, the EV Reverse Tryke 'horse' is already outta the door & getting ready to bolt!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-22-2021 at 06:07 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

A couple of comments. The Arcimoto gets about 100 miles on a charge in city (at 25mph) on a nice day using 100% of the battery (which is a no-no). That is likely why BRP hasn't made an electric version - the batteries simply aren't there yet. All Arcimotos (Roadster, FUV) have regenerative braking. I do suspect the custom cast gearbox is a weak point, but mainly because of the wear and tear of acceleration. Paid pre-orders are $100 and refundable. Paid reservations/deposits are $2500, non refundable, and gets you an Arcimoto in about 2-3 months in about 5 states (OR-WA-CA-NV-FL). They are cranking out about 7 a week - mostly because they don't have production streamlined and they are bringing a huge manufacturing plant on line. I like the look of my FUV and it definitely turns heads and gets lots of people commenting very positively. I'm not a fan of the roadster, it is pretty ugly and can't be used to go on road trips. At 66 miles (55mph) and 32 miles (70mph) you are just never going on any sort of trip. They do work well for short trips to the store and errands (which is how I use ours). The FUV allows people in some states to ride without a helmet or motorcycle endorsement (OR-CA-FL-HI). I had to learn about the can-am Spyder as that is what Oregon uses in its 3 wheel endorsement endorsement training. I decided to forgo the training as the differences were too great to be enough for me to spend $400.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cost / benefit of anything battery powered is screwy at best. Disposable item once the battery is tired.
    Great way to put more control on people movement though if your new world order plan only requires the click of a mouse to the off position at the power station.
    I thought trees required carbon to grow then they got turned into crude over the centuries.The best renewable energy so far. Apparently batteries grow on trees now.
    Magnetics are the future if we get there.
    The_Jetsons_Flying_Car.jpg
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic