Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

So, Ferrasr...are you saying that because you made a deposit in perhaps Sept/Oct 2021 that your dealer is exempting you from the commodity surcharge? As if it was made sometime before some date on the BRP site? Do you know if that is on the BRP site?

As I put a $500 deposit in early Oct. on a 2022 STS and ask about my deposit date and the commodity surcharge (just this week) and was ask, where that info is on the BRP site or just a bunch of spyderlovers talking? I mentioned also perhaps a discount because I was a member of Spyderlovers.com as others have mentioned they received a discount in other parts of the country...it did not phase the salesman...so probably no discount there either..
    This is Mancuso Powersports South in Houston Texas...

Spyder Garage

Hi Lrogers

No the Commodity surcharge was there on the website and was at $500.00 when I put my deposit down in Nov. on a 2022 RT Limited. If you look on the BRP website both US and Canadian you will see the commodity surcharge noted, which is now at $765.00US and $1,000.00 CND. I have attached the link to the CND & US websites. What I was saying was that do to high demand for the units prices are going up with less discounts offered, so I was glad I made the deal back in Nov.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/ca/en...spyder-rt.html
    https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...spyder-rt.html

Randy

Spyder Garage

As well when I spoke to the local dealership I purchased from the other week, if I was to put a deposit down today, the price OTD would be almost $2,000.00 more, do to the commodity surcharge going up, as well as they are not discounting things with the high demand for the units. That is just our COVID world, supply and demand crazy. So can I count myself lucky for purchasing when I did, I want to think so.

Randy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ferrasr View Post
    As well when I spoke to the local dealership I purchased from the other week, if I was to put a deposit down today, the price OTD would be almost $2,000.00 more, do to the commodity surcharge going up, as well as they are not discounting things with the high demand for the units. That is just our COVID world, supply and demand crazy. So can I count myself lucky for purchasing when I did, I want to think so.

Randy
    The best deal is the one you make where YOU are happy. When you are happy, you sign the papers and drive off with the new Spyder.

THEN...don't even look back.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The best deal is the one you make where YOU are happy. When you are happy, you sign the papers and drive off with the new Spyder.

THEN...don't even look back.
    I couldn't say it better myself so I won't. +1
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

ok, thanks to all for the info...I guess since my deposit was in oct...that my surcharge should only be 500?

Spyder Garage

Your commodity surcharge should only be $400.00US if you put the deposit down for the 2022 RTL in October from what I can tell. If your dealer is trying to charge you more, like the $765.00US that is now posted on the website, something is not right as the commodity surcharge was only $400.00US back in October from my understanding.

Randy

Spyder Garage

And thanks ARtraveler & FrogmanDave, great point, I am happy with the deal.

Now looking outside at the snow and -24 C (-12 F) temperature, spring seems so far away!

Randy

Spyder Garage

great thank you, ferrasr, will strongly suggest 400 and have then prove different based on an Oct. site charge...

Spyder Garage

Your commodity surcharge should only be $400.00US if you put the deposit down for the 2022 RTL in October from what I can tell. If your dealer is trying to charge you more, like the $765.00US that is now posted on the website, something is not right as the commodity surcharge was only $400.00US back in October from my understanding.

Randy

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhartjr View Post
    Exactly what is a commodity surcharge?
    The best I can figure (believe it or not Google has little solid information about it!) the BRP commodity surcharge comes from the raw materials market, otherwise known as the commodity market. It has been common practice for contracts from a supplier to a buyer for stuff like coal, iron, copper, oil, etc., to include a base price which later will be adjusted up or down depending on what the market price is based on an agreed upon market index on the day of shipping. So if a contract for iron has a price of $50 per ton (made up price) but the market index price is $55.20/ton when the iron is shipped, a surcharge of $5.20/ton will added to the invoice.

So what I'm thinking is that BRP is dealing with wildly fluctuating supplier prices. Rather than try to adjust the MSRP every time a computer chip market price changes the cluster manufacturer's price, BRP just adds on a "Commodity Surcharge" to cover the increased supplier cost. Since the whole world is in somewhat of a seller's market situation it's pretty difficult for someone like BRP to get a supplier to commit to a fixed price for, say, 5000 clusters. BRP may have a real challenge getting the supplier to commit to a specific quantity, let alone price, and assurance of quantity trumps assurance of price.

It would be nice if someone from BRP would confirm if I have, or don't have, a reasonably good handle on the issue.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's my take on this. It's not just BRP.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Randy
    I disagree. When I put my money down I received a contract that the dealer will have to stick to. I don't remember what I paid in October. I don't have the contract in front of me. IMO, If you did not receive a contract you will pay whatever the charge is at the time of final purchase.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I disagree. When I put my money down I received a contract that the dealer will have to stick to. I don't remember what I paid in October. I don't have the contract in front of me. IMO, If you did not receive a contract you will pay whatever the charge is at the time of final purchase.
    A written contract makes it a done deal at the price you agreed to. The dealer cannot raise prices because of the economy. Their loss, your benefit.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

100% agree ARtraveler, I have a written signed purchase contract that both the dealer and BRP must honor the stated prices on the contract at the time of purchase. If either the dealer , BRP or even myself tried to change the prices charged or paid, it would be breach of contract which laws would force one to follow. This is why I am happy I put the deposit for purchase of the RTL down when I did.

Randy

Spyder Garage

100% agree ARtraveler, I have a written signed purchase contract that both the dealer and BRP must honor the stated prices on the contract at the time of purchase. If either the dealer , BRP or even myself tried to change the prices charged or paid, it would be breach of contract which laws would force one to follow. This is why I am happy I put the deposit for purchase of the RTL down when I did.

Randy
    Randy. I did not read where you stated you had a contract. I stated above if you have a contract then you should be good. If you had not had the purchase agreement then you probably would not be good. I thought it was strange you would put money down without the contract.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI, the Mfg. in this case BRP, has no control over the price that the Dealer sells the vehicle for. The selling price, especially when it comes to vehicles comes from the negotiation between the dealer and buying customer.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

After reading this thread and having posts deleted I can safely say "I no nothing, I see nothing, I didn't even get out of bed this morning".